Chance me!! 3.88 GPA/147 practice LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rachelv123

New

Chance me!! 3.88 GPA/147 practice LSAT

Post by rachelv123 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:36 pm

So I'm currently a junior at Michigan State majoring in Political Theory, minoring in Environmental Policy and Business, and I'm taking the LSAT in June. I've just started studying for the LSAT and got a 147 on my blind diagnostic. My goal is 175+ and my dream school is the University of Virginia.

I'm also currently 17 and will be just turning 19 when I graduate from MSU. I have some internship experience and a decent amount of extracurricular activities.

Do I have a chance at UVA or other T14 Law Schools if I can get my LSAT up?

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Chance me!! 3.88 GPA/147 practice LSAT

Post by crazywafflez » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:20 am

Get your LSAT up, world's your oyster.

rachelv123

New

Post by rachelv123 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:31 am

crazywafflez wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:20 am
Get your LSAT up, world's your oyster.
That’s the goal!! Hopefully I can figure out these logic games before June :D

namefromplace

Bronze

Post by namefromplace » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:42 pm

I think what you are really asking here (or should be asking) is whether it is possible to go from a 147 to the 170-ish range that you would need to go to UVA. Your GPA isn't going to hold you back from anywhere. Your soft factors, given your age, will likely be on the low end of T14 applicants, but again, would not prevent you from getting into a T14. So what matters is your LSAT. And your improvement depends entirely on how much you study and how well you can build up your mental stamina. I felt like I hit a wall pretty early on in my LSAT studying and never got much more than a couple points above my blind diagnostic. On the other hand, it's not unheard of for someone to increase their score by 20 points after extensive studying.

My personal recommendation would not be to put yourself on a timetable. If you're really set on going to a T14, plan on working after you graduate college to give yourself more time for LSAT prep and perhaps build up the kind of soft skills and experience that will allow you to do better in classes and interviews when you get to law school. See how much your score increases after a month or so of studying and re-evaluate from there.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:55 pm

You absolutely can get into UVA/T14 with a high enough LSAT - law school admissions are highly determined by GPA/LSAT - but please don't go to law school at 19. I strongly suggest that you take some time off to work and live on your own and be in a better position to apply for jobs and know what you want out of a job. (This is assuming you haven't lived independently/worked full time before this, which may be inaccurate but seems unlikely for a 17-yo college junior; apologies if I have that wrong.) Generally I think trying to get a legal job at age 22 may work against you (depends a little on your self-presentation).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:05 pm

Just wanted to chime in to say its a terrible idea to apply to law school at 19. Intellectually you might keep up, but the simple fact that you can't even go out to the bars (legally) will hurt your social life.

Most importantly, however, you will be at a severe disadvantage when it comes to landing a job. It's possible that no one will know your age until they actually hire you, but I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not getting some other type of work experience before going into law school.

I took a couple gap years before applying to law school and it was the best decision I ever made. To commit at 19 when you really have no idea (and to take on all that debt) seems foolish.

rachelv123

New

Post by rachelv123 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:16 pm

nixy wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:55 pm
You absolutely can get into UVA/T14 with a high enough LSAT - law school admissions are highly determined by GPA/LSAT - but please don't go to law school at 19. I strongly suggest that you take some time off to work and live on your own and be in a better position to apply for jobs and know what you want out of a job. (This is assuming you haven't lived independently/worked full time before this, which may be inaccurate but seems unlikely for a 17-yo college junior; apologies if I have that wrong.) Generally I think trying to get a legal job at age 22 may work against you (depends a little on your self-presentation).
I've had an internship where I lived in Dayton, Ohio (my home is in Michigan) and worked 40 hours a week. Plus I'm living away at school but I get it's different. But so far my age hasn't been a problem and only a few people know how old I am. I just think that if I take any gap years then the stuff that makes me stand out (my young age) won't get me anywhere. I'll be turning 20 pretty soon after I start Law School though.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:11 am

Standing out for being young isn't going to get you anywhere your GPA/LSAT won't already get you. Youth isn't inspiring or impressive in this context.

I mean, I get that if there isn't anything else you want to do, it seems kind of nonsensical to delay setting out on your chosen career path. I just think you will be in a better position if you get some work experience first. But anyway, good luck with the LSAT and see where that gets you before you worry about any of this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”