Chance me 163/3.57 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
gpetro00

New

Chance me 163/3.57

Post by gpetro00 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:24 pm

Hello, I was curious if someone could chance me with the above scores… I scored a 161 on the lsat the last time I took it, and am PTing around 163-165… So, that lsat score isn’t definite just yet. I would like to practice in the NC/VA/DC region.

UNC
William and Mary
George Mason
Washington and Lee
(any other suggestions/advice)

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Chance me 163/3.57

Post by crazywafflez » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:20 pm

U of Richmond if you are looking at VA. If looking to North Carolina, add Wake. DC area? GW. MD, UMD etc. IKD enough about Mason, but I'd think it could place in NOVA.

However, all the schools you've listed are regional schools mostly limited to their state (which is totally fine if you want to practice in that state and your debt to salary ratio matches). W&L and W&M are good schools- just make sure you don't go 100k into debt for them.

Idk what their stats are but historically I'd say you were competitive at all your listed schools, however, you wouldn't get a scholarship at any of them aside from Mason.

DC is the most competitive market in the country (depending on what kind of law you intend to practice and if you want to get biglaw) and you should go to a T14 if you really want to practice there. If you are aiming for ADA or PD or public interest type stuff it'll be less competitive and any of the above would be fine (Mason, WL, WM, American etc).

gpetro00

New

Post by gpetro00 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:03 am

Hm, what about if I want biglaw? These schools wouldn’t be decent for that? My ultimate goal is government of some sort or lobbying. Would these schools place well for that too?

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:01 pm

For UNC/W&M/W&L/Wake- you've got a solid shot at biglaw in those respective states/regions if you place within the top 20-33% or so.
For Richmond and Mason, you'll be harder pressed, but being on Law Review and placing within the top 10-25% should be sufficient.
However, none of these schools place that many into biglaw and I would not bet on it.
As for government jobs it'll really depend on if you are attempting to place into fed or state.
State AGs, ADA, PD etc. are more about interest than grades and are obtainable from any of the schools you've listed.
Fed positions are extremely competitive (usually) and more often than not require biglaw credentials.
Again, I wouldn't go into substantial debt for any of these schools as the normal outcome from these schools - i.e. folks who get median- tend to be state govt gigs making 50-75k (depending on state and location) or small to mid sized firms in markets in the state making 50-80k (again, depending on state and location).
The only schools that have substantially different results from the above would be unranked schools (or T3/T2 schools in ultra competitive markets); and T20 schools (really, the T13) that place their median students into biglaw. So plan your chose accordingly, your debt should be lower than your expected (realistic) first year salary, or darn close.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”