Chance me 3.54/168 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jeronino

New

Chance me 3.54/168

Post by jeronino » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:46 pm

Hi everyone,
I hope your day is going well! I am aiming to apply to the T20s + Fordham. I am an international student with a 3.55 gpa and a 168 on the lsat. My eventual goal is to go into Big Law.

For my CGPA, I transferred out of a STEM degree in first year where my average was 2.57. The following three years, in a program of my choice and where my mental health was doing much better, my gpa has a strong upward trend of 3.4/3.9/3.9 for each respective year. It is devastating that my first year grades bring down my gpa as I feel it doesn't represent my true potential. I would love to know your thoughts on my chances across the t-20. I know this years cycle was hellish so I would appreciate any insight on how I would fare in the upcoming year. Thank you in advance πŸ™‚

antelope

New

Re: Chance me 3.54/168

Post by antelope » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:49 pm

https://7sage.com/predictor/

Based on the chances given, and the trend from the last cycle, I wouldn't bank on T14, although you have a chance at other well regarded schools like Vandy, WUSTL, etc.

As an international student, getting big law's harder outside the T14, just because of the sponsorship issue (if you want to stay in a US office), so keep that in mind.

If you could break the 170 LSAT and apply in the fall, I think you'd have a better chance at some lower T14 schools. You're a couple of points away, I think it's worth it to give it a try

jeronino

New

Post by jeronino » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:14 pm

Thank you for your insight! I will be a Canadian applicant so I was hoping to get a TN sponsorship which is slightly easier than H1-B. Last cycle was very competitive so I am quite nervous for this year. I will try to break into the 170s but I'm not sure if I can before the January lsat. Would that be too late in the cycle?

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:41 pm

jeronino wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:46 pm
Hi everyone,
I hope your day is going well! I am aiming to apply to the T20s + Fordham. I am an international student with a 3.55 gpa and a 168 on the lsat. My eventual goal is to go into Big Law.

For my CGPA, I transferred out of a STEM degree in first year where my average was 2.57. The following three years, in a program of my choice and where my mental health was doing much better, my gpa has a strong upward trend of 3.4/3.9/3.9 for each respective year. It is devastating that my first year grades bring down my gpa as I feel it doesn't represent my true potential. I would love to know your thoughts on my chances across the t-20. I know this years cycle was hellish so I would appreciate any insight on how I would fare in the upcoming year. Thank you in advance πŸ™‚
Decent chance. Apply broadly. I'd consider retaking, as you aren't guaranteed a spot into the T20 and the T20 aren't locks on biglaw. You are gonna need a visa (I think?) and really need biglaw to get on. So your goals should be to get into a T14 so as to secure biglaw; or, if that isn't possible, to get into a T20 on a fullride so you have a chance to get biglaw, but, if you strike out, you'll go back to Canada with little debt to worry about.
Best of luck.

antelope

New

Post by antelope » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:40 pm

I think January would be late. Law schools can put your app on hold until your new score comes out, which could be detrimental. If you hit 168, I'm sure you'll be able to go up at least 2 if you continue studying diligently, if you can take the LSAT in the fall you should go for it. I wish you the best in this process

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:15 pm

jeronino wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:14 pm
Thank you for your insight! I will be a Canadian applicant so I was hoping to get a TN sponsorship which is slightly easier than H1-B.
You still de facto need biglaw in order to get sponsored for a green card. TN visa is more of a safety valve in case H1B lottery screws you over -- not a replacement.

lazyguy

New

Post by lazyguy » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:57 pm

I had a 2.8/169 from a top Canadian school and ended up at a T25 with a hefty scholarship. I didn't even apply to any t14s because I thought my GPA was way too low, but I ended up getting in everywhere that I did apply. Have to imagine that with a 3.54 you'll be fine.

lazyguy

New

Post by lazyguy » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:02 pm

I had a 2.8/169 from a top Canadian school. Didn't apply to any T14s because I thought my GPA was too low. Got in everywhere else that I applied. Attending a T25 with a hefty scholarship. You'll be fine with a 3.54.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to β€œWhat are my chances?”