Chance me…LSAT 167; GPA 3.95 KJD Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Lynx_4eva

New

Chance me…LSAT 167; GPA 3.95 KJD

Post by Lynx_4eva » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:12 pm

Looking at T-14, particularly UVA or Duke,
Decent softs. Publication, and social research experience.

TTTTorbust

New

Re: Chance me…LSAT 167; GPA 3.95 KJD

Post by TTTTorbust » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:55 pm

Retake. With that GPA you should not be paying for law school.

As far as chances, you're in anywhere in the bottom half of the T-13. Money is going to be unpredictable but you will get offers. No reason not to go to a great school for free though.

Seriously though, signup for the August test before the deadline and crush it. Every point you add is thousands of dollars and improved odds at HYS.

Lynx_4eva

New

Post by Lynx_4eva » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:40 pm

Thanks! I’m most interested in a public interest sub-specialty, so it’s more about program fit vs pure ranking.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:31 pm

Second that you should retake.

TTTTorbust

New

Post by TTTTorbust » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:57 pm

Lynx_4eva wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:40 pm
Thanks! I’m most interested in a public interest sub-specialty, so it’s more about program fit vs pure ranking.
If that's the case, it's all about LRAP. Y or H all the way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:15 pm

Lynx_4eva wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:12 pm
Looking at T-14, particularly UVA or Duke,
Decent softs. Publication, and social research experience.
I'll say first, you may want to consider retaking unless you really feel you've maxed out (however, you are right on the cusp and want to do PI so you can afford to do sticker if you are up for it, hah, although, I don't encourage this always unless you are dead certain on what PI you want to do and really know this is how you want to spend your life- at my school, many folks went in with the idea of doing PI and I'd say only about a third of those stuck to it).

Looking at your current stats and this cycle, I'd say you are borderline competitive for Duke and UVA. You've got a great GPA, normal softs for T20 type schools, and a good LSAT. I think you'll more likely than not get into some lower T14 (apply broadly), and you may get some money randomly if the school decides they need your GPA- but I do think retaking doesn't hurt, especially given how early it is in the cycle. I wish I had retaken- things ended up fine for me, but every point gets you either (1) more scholarship money or (2) into a better school.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:08 am

Lynx_4eva wrote:
Be very wary of "sub-specialties" in law school. They tend to not exist, and you'd be making a huge mistake if you attended Duke for its "human rights" JD/LLM over Berkeley or NYU.

I also echo the retake advice. If this cycle is the same as the last one, LSAT averages have gone up a few points. Your 167 may not carry as much weight as it did even two years ago.

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:18 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:08 am
Lynx_4eva wrote:
Be very wary of "sub-specialties" in law school. They tend to not exist, and you'd be making a huge mistake if you attended Duke for its "human rights" JD/LLM over Berkeley or NYU.

I also echo the retake advice. If this cycle is the same as the last one, LSAT averages have gone up a few points. Your 167 may not carry as much weight as it did even two years ago.
Also, not sure exactly what public interest work you want to do, but a lot of the best opportunities (e.g., int’l human rights or federal public defender rather than, say, city attorney’s office) are at least as pedigree sensitive as biglaw. Retaking to give yourself a shot at decent money at CCN or a spot at HYS will go a lot further to advance your career goals than selecting a school based on its advertised specialized tracks.

And since you’re JKD there’s nothing to lose taking a year off, getting some work experience, and retaking to apply one or two cycles down the road.

Lynx_4eva

New

Post by Lynx_4eva » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:58 am

Thanks again for the advice. My interest is in education/disability law. New England or DC. I’m pretty locked in and not driven by big law or $.
Scholarship money would obviously be great, but I’m in decent shape as I chose an undergrad program that gave me a TON of merit. This allows me to put my money towards law school.

TTTTorbust

New

Post by TTTTorbust » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:11 pm

Lynx_4eva wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:58 am
Thanks again for the advice. My interest is in education/disability law. New England or DC. I’m pretty locked in and not driven by big law or $.
Scholarship money would obviously be great, but I’m in decent shape as I chose an undergrad program that gave me a TON of merit. This allows me to put my money towards law school.
Not driven by money is okay, until you have to be driven by money to maintain a massive debt load. Not only did wise financial decisions get you to where you are now, but your hard work has given you a GPA that allows you to continue making them. Retake or go to Duke or wherever gives you a named scholarship. I am going to reiterate: with your GPA you should not be paying for law school. Plenty of people find themselves in a position where Big Law is the only way they can pay their loans. There is no reason for you to be one of them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”