171 LSAT/Superior: chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lawschoolcandidate

New

171 LSAT/Superior: chances?

Post by lawschoolcandidate » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:45 am

Hi everyone,

Just received my June LSAT Flex score: 171. This was the first administration I took. I graduated in 2020 from a top law school in the UK with an LL.B. (equivalent to the J.D.) with First Class Honors (equivalent to summa cum laude) and LSAC evaluated my transcript as Superior. I have legal work experience at two law firms, finance work experience at an investment bank, and have been pursuing a legal internship at the UN for the past year and will continue to do so. Moreover, I was President of my University Law Society, an Editor of the Law Journal, and a winner of several moots and competitions. I have also lived in several different countries and speak three languages.

Although the above may at first glance seem particularly valuable, I am not entirely sure whether I should resit the LSAT in August. The deadline for registration is tomorrow. My goal school is Harvard which has a median of 173, albeit a 25th percentile of 170. However, I will be much busier and thus it would be quite difficult to sufficiently prepare for the LSAT. In addition, I am not sure how much I could improve from 171: I completed all released PrepTests (many more than once) and have been averaging between 169-172 in my most recent PrepTests (highest ever was 174).

Furthermore, I am not entirely sure how I would be viewed by US law schools as, although I graduated from outside the US, I am a US citizen.

I would greatly appreciate any advice with regards to an advisable course of action and my chances at achieving admission to Harvard and other T-14 schools.

Thank you in advance for your help!

TTTTorbust

New

Re: 171 LSAT/Superior: chances?

Post by TTTTorbust » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:33 am

If you want to maximize your chances at Harvard then you should try for a higher score. As to how to achieve that given that you have already used all of the PTs, I'm not sure what to tell you. How much studying did you do (e.g. reviewing to learn exactly why your wrong answers are wrong, and why the right answers are right? Have you spent time sitting down with problem sections untimed and trying to get a perfect raw score?) compared to drilling tests? I generally don't see it as necessary, but perhaps you should consider tutoring. You might be able to get in with your present score, but it's unlikely. Most admits with a low LSAT at Harvard are propped up by a high GPA, which you obviously cannot count on. You have a solid chance at lower schools in the T-14, though I cannot speak to how your lack of a GPA will affect merit aid.

Edit: You can always sit for the October test if that is more palatable to you, but skipping August is one less chance at sitting before Harvard starts reviewing apps.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:40 pm

lawschoolcandidate wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:45 am
Hi everyone,

Just received my June LSAT Flex score: 171. This was the first administration I took. I graduated in 2020 from a top law school in the UK with an LL.B. (equivalent to the J.D.) with First Class Honors (equivalent to summa cum laude) and LSAC evaluated my transcript as Superior. I have legal work experience at two law firms, finance work experience at an investment bank, and have been pursuing a legal internship at the UN for the past year and will continue to do so. Moreover, I was President of my University Law Society, an Editor of the Law Journal, and a winner of several moots and competitions. I have also lived in several different countries and speak three languages.

Although the above may at first glance seem particularly valuable, I am not entirely sure whether I should resit the LSAT in August. The deadline for registration is tomorrow. My goal school is Harvard which has a median of 173, albeit a 25th percentile of 170. However, I will be much busier and thus it would be quite difficult to sufficiently prepare for the LSAT. In addition, I am not sure how much I could improve from 171: I completed all released PrepTests (many more than once) and have been averaging between 169-172 in my most recent PrepTests (highest ever was 174).

Furthermore, I am not entirely sure how I would be viewed by US law schools as, although I graduated from outside the US, I am a US citizen.

I would greatly appreciate any advice with regards to an advisable course of action and my chances at achieving admission to Harvard and other T-14 schools.

I'm an American that also went to UG outside the US and received an S.
I'd say your chances are decent but not great for H. But why fixated on H? Not trying to dissuade you but if your goals are biglaw and a fedclerkship, those are perfectly fine goals that are obtainable from any of the T13. And personally, although I know this is a debatable point, I'd much rather go to Cornell or Mich on a fullride than pay sticker price at H.
Your softs are not going to move the needle. You are within the norm for softs at the T14. I will say if you went to Oxbridge that that first class is going to be more impressive than say the LSE or another golden triangle or RG uni.
In sum, if you want a better chance at H, retake. If your goals are more in line with generic big law in NYC than I think you've got the scores needed already for the schools that easily provide that. Frankly though, I'd almost always encourage someone to take Penn or UVA for free over sticker at H or S.

lawschoolcandidate

New

Post by lawschoolcandidate » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:04 pm

TTTTorbust wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:33 am
If you want to maximize your chances at Harvard then you should try for a higher score. As to how to achieve that given that you have already used all of the PTs, I'm not sure what to tell you. How much studying did you do (e.g. reviewing to learn exactly why your wrong answers are wrong, and why the right answers are right? Have you spent time sitting down with problem sections untimed and trying to get a perfect raw score?) compared to drilling tests? I generally don't see it as necessary, but perhaps you should consider tutoring. You might be able to get in with your present score, but it's unlikely. Most admits with a low LSAT at Harvard are propped up by a high GPA, which you obviously cannot count on. You have a solid chance at lower schools in the T-14, though I cannot speak to how your lack of a GPA will affect merit aid.

Edit: You can always sit for the October test if that is more palatable to you, but skipping August is one less chance at sitting before Harvard starts reviewing apps.
Thanks for your response! To answer your question, I studied for 9-10 months and extensively reviewed all the questions I got correct and all of those that I got incorrect with the occasional help of online explanations. I also spent quite some time with untimed sections. From my perspective, I feel as if I have done everything I could, but there is that part of me that does not want to give up on achieving a higher score.

lawschoolcandidate

New

Post by lawschoolcandidate » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:06 pm

crazywafflez wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:40 pm
Hi everyone,

I'd say your chances are decent but not great for H. But why fixated on H? Not trying to dissuade you but if your goals are biglaw and a fedclerkship, those are perfectly fine goals that are obtainable from any of the T13. And personally, although I know this is a debatable point, I'd much rather go to Cornell or Mich on a fullride than pay sticker price at H.
Your softs are not going to move the needle. You are within the norm for softs at the T14. I will say if you went to Oxbridge that that first class is going to be more impressive than say the LSE or another golden triangle or RG uni.
In sum, if you want a better chance at H, retake. If your goals are more in line with generic big law in NYC than I think you've got the scores needed already for the schools that easily provide that. Frankly though, I'd almost always encourage someone to take Penn or UVA for free over sticker at H or S.
Thanks for your response! I do in fact intend to pursue a career in BigLaw in NYC. Do you have an idea regarding my chances at the rest of the T-14, in particular Columbia? Your breakdown would be greatly appreciated.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:09 pm

Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:06 pm
crazywafflez wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:40 pm
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your response! I do in fact intend to pursue a career in BigLaw in NYC. Do you have an idea regarding my chances at the rest of the T-14, in particular Columbia? Your breakdown would be greatly appreciated.
No problem- as I said before, I think you are certainly competitive for CCN. Don't think you'll get a ton of money from CC with these stats these days, but you never know. I think at the rest of the T14 you'll get substantial scholarships. Again, I'd really urge you to take a fullride at Cornell or Mich over taking sticker at CC. The only T14 I wouldn't so confidently say that for is Gtown.
Apply to all the T14, aside from maybe Y and S, but go ahead and take your shot- you are competitive.
You'll be able to secure NYC biglaw from any of the T13, there's no reason to go to CCN, in my opinion, over Mich, Cornell, or Penn on great scholarships. And you are a lock for the T14, the lower ones with money. Make sure to apply early though, things are certainly harder than previously.
If you want more of a breakdown (although, I'm no longer sure how accurate it is), head over to mylsn and enter your stats and see where folks get in and their scholly money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”