3.82/172 April LSAT—retake in October? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
axolotl

New

3.82/172 April LSAT—retake in October?

Post by axolotl » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:30 am

Hey, forum!

I'm applying this upcoming cycle, with stats of 3.82 GPA and 172 LSAT score from the April test. My top choice is Berkeley, but I'm going to submit applications to a handful of other T-14. I just graduated PBK & magna from college this spring, and my activities included being an on-campus tutor, Women's Center board, and some environment-related involvements. I'm wondering whether I should retake the LSAT in October if my objective is admission into the T-14. Is it worth it? What if I score lower? Financial aid will be a factor in my decision, too. I welcome all thoughts! Thank you!

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: 3.82/172 April LSAT—retake in October?

Post by crazywafflez » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:50 am

axolotl wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:30 am
Hey, forum!

I'm applying this upcoming cycle, with stats of 3.82 GPA and 172 LSAT score from the April test. My top choice is Berkeley, but I'm going to submit applications to a handful of other T-14. I just graduated PBK & magna from college this spring, and my activities included being an on-campus tutor, Women's Center board, and some environment-related involvements. I'm wondering whether I should retake the LSAT in October if my objective is admission into the T-14. Is it worth it? What if I score lower? Financial aid will be a factor in my decision, too. I welcome all thoughts! Thank you!
Hey, welcome to the forum!
I will try and tackle a couple of these:
1) Retaking will not matter or recalculate your score. Schools will just take your highest score. There will be no averaging or looking at your latest one.
2) I'm not sure you should retake tbh. I don't think there's a substantial difference between a 172 and a 173- if you were getting perfect scores on your practice I guess go for it? But I think you are fine.
3) You are competitive for the T14; in years past I would say MVP on down you'll be seeing good money- CCN you would get into (scholarships could be a toss-up though depending on when you apply and competitiveness of the cycle). And you have a real shot at even HYS, especially H. I wouldn't count on them, and I'd much rather go to Duke or NW on a fullride than pay full price at another T14, but you aren't out of the running for them.

So, I'd personally refrain from retaking, and apply to the all the T14 (aside from Y probs) and apply to one T20 where I'd be happy to work (say you want socal, UCLA/USC on a fullride is a great option). Best of luck.

TTTTorbust

New

Post by TTTTorbust » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:38 pm

wafflez's advice is good. Personally, given your position and all the time you have to prepare, there's no downside to retaking, and plenty of upside, but only you know what it will take for you to feel you can comfortably score 175 or up, and only you know what your goals are. I'd suggest you pay special attention to #3 in wafflez's response. Are you interested in attending Harvard?

If the question was simply "Is it worth retaking for a higher LSAT score? The only time my bottom line answer would be anything other than yes is if you are already above the 75th percentile at your dream school, or you are already close and feel that you don't have the time or ability to achieve it. You have plenty of time, and you almost certainly have the ability, so it really comes down to what your goals are.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:41 am

Just piling on the "apply broadly" bandwagon. There is no reason to apply narrowly within the T13, especially if you're concerned about financial aid. And in particular, it makes very little sense for you to pin your hopes on Berkeley, which is well-known for being stingier with scholarship money than almost any other top school.

axolotl

New

Post by axolotl » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:20 pm

Hi, crazywafflez! Thanks for your thoughts and time. I think I'm going to apply come early September and then spend the month studying. If I am testing in the high 170s and feel confident, then I will retake in October. For myself at least, I need to know that I did all I could to get into the best school possible.

Concerning selective applying to the T-14, I intend to send applications to most of the T-14. I want to study environmental law, so I omitted a few of the T-14 because their programs didn't seem very comprehensive. (I looked at classes, clinics, and journals.) Lastly, while Harvard would be incredible, I'm not as assured as you are of even having a shot, tbh. Given the competitory nature of last cycle and the anticipated competition for this one, I'm just not sure, especially being below average for GPA and average for LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

axolotl

New

Post by axolotl » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:26 pm

Hi TTTorbust. Thanks for your thoughts!

Yeah, I intend to apply early September with my current stats and then spend the month studying, aiming to retake in October. It's going to take some serious time and effort to make the leap into the 175+ level.

Concerning Harvard, I mean, Harvard is Harvard. I'd be floored to be accepted into that institution. Based on your advice & wafflez, I really think I should retake in October. For some of the T-14 I'm above the 75th percentile, but, for many, I'm at the 50th. And because my GPA is lower, I think my LSAT score needs to compensate.

axolotl

New

Post by axolotl » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:30 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:41 am
Just piling on the "apply broadly" bandwagon. There is no reason to apply narrowly within the T13, especially if you're concerned about financial aid. And in particular, it makes very little sense for you to pin your hopes on Berkeley, which is well-known for being stingier with scholarship money than almost any other top school.

Noted! Thanks! I intend to apply to most of the T-14. I only excluded a few schools because I would like to study environmental law, and after reviewing some schools' programs (looking at classes, clinics, and journals), they didn't seem comprehensive enough.

axolotl

New

Post by axolotl » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:32 pm

crazywafflez wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:50 am
axolotl wrote:
Hey, forum!

1) Retaking will not matter or recalculate your score. Schools will just take your highest score. There will be no averaging or looking at your latest one.
2) I'm not sure you should retake tbh. I don't think there's a substantial difference between a 172 and a 173- if you were getting perfect scores on your practice I guess go for it? But I think you are fine.
3) You are competitive for the T14; in years past I would say MVP on down you'll be seeing good money- CCN you would get into (scholarships could be a toss-up though depending on when you apply and competitiveness of the cycle). And you have a real shot at even HYS, especially H. I wouldn't count on them, and I'd much rather go to Duke or NW on a fullride than pay full price at another T14, but you aren't out of the running for them.

So, I'd personally refrain from retaking, and apply to the all the T14 (aside from Y probs) and apply to one T20 where I'd be happy to work (say you want socal, UCLA/USC on a fullride is a great option). Best of luck.
Hi, crazywafflez! Thanks for your thoughts and time. I think I'm going to apply come early September and then spend the month studying. If I am testing in the high 170s and feel confident, then I will retake in October. For myself at least, I need to know that I did all I could to get into the best school possible.

Concerning selective applying to the T-14, I intend to send applications to most of the T-14. I want to study environmental law, so I omitted a few of the T-14 because their programs didn't seem very comprehensive. (I looked at classes, clinics, and journals.) Lastly, while Harvard would be incredible, I'm not as assured as you are of even having a shot, tbh. Given the competitory nature of last cycle and the anticipated competition for this one, I'm just not sure, especially being below average for GPA and average for LSAT.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:07 pm

axolotl wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:32 pm
crazywafflez wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:50 am
axolotl wrote:
Hey, forum!

Happy to try and help. Apply to all the T14- trust me, (i) you can use it as bargaining chips for the T14 you'd like to go to: say NW has a sterling environmental law program, you get in but don't get offered a scholly, but you got into Mich with an amazing scholarship, however, you prefer NW- you can use that to negotiate a scholarship with NW. (ii) You'll be able to study environmental law at any of the T14 and I'd encourage you to go to either the best one (H or CCN etc) or to go to the one you get the most money- because you'll be able to get the job afterwards. If you are on law review you can write articles on env law. Similarly, each T14 will have at least enough environmental law classes for you to take a decent bit; you can intern at agencies or groups that do env law; and you can do extended study programs with profs at your school who practice and/or specialize in env law. Don't pick NW over Duke or whatever merely because it has one extra journal or clinic that you'd like to do (unless all costs are equal). Certainly don't pick Berk over Chicago or Harvard just because they have an environmental law journal (unless you get a substantial scholarship to Berk and 0 at the others).
I think not applying to HYS is fine (however, I'd still apply to H given your stats- no guarantee by any means but I always like to take the chance)- but you really would be doing yourself a disfavor by not applying to the rest of the T14 for CCN on down.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”