What are my chance? 3.81/165+/non-urm Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rqin37

New

What are my chance? 3.81/165+/non-urm

Post by rqin37 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:17 pm

Hi, I just found out this wonderful place and wanted to hear advices from you professional people.

I went to Georgia Tech and finished BS(3.81) and MS(3.75) in computer science. I am still working on LSAT. I can score my lsat at least 165, although my current pt scores are around 170. I write my ps about tech things and my career path in patent area.

Recent years are ridiculously hard. People are crazy to apply, and suddenly every school receive 3000+ applications and everyone has a 170+.

My goal is ip and patent jobs. So my school list is UCB, BU, GW, AU, Austin, Santa Clara. (Although I will definitely apply Stanford, I am pretty sure I don't even have a chance.) Some other schools I might apply: Umich, new hampshire, Cardozo, Fordham.

Could anyone take a look at my stats and see my chances?

Thanks!

hookem7

Bronze

Re: What are my chance? 3.81/165+/non-urm

Post by hookem7 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:08 pm

Without an actual LSAT score, your question is a hypothetical one that is difficult to answer. For now, put your focus into studying for the LSAT and getting the highest score possible. Think of it this way - every additional point earned is potentially worth thousands of dollars in scholarships. Mastering a learnable test can ultimately pay you six figures in extra future income by virtue of not having to repay a large loan balance. Don't be afraid to take it twice (or 3 times even) if you are PT'ing in the 170s and score only a 165.

Your engineering background will be somewhat helpful in admissions (engineers with your GPA will be unique, especially from a great school like Georgia Tech), but will mostly be helpful in getting a job down the road. Admissions is mostly a straight combination of GPA + LSAT, and you already did well in putting together a 3.81. You are in a good position. Now you just need to work on the second major piece.

TTTTorbust

New

Post by TTTTorbust » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:18 pm

It's pretty obvious that your English skills are not the strongest, though I am not knowledgeable enough to say what affect that may have on admissions for you. Do you need to submit a TOEFL score? As far as your numbers go, assuming you are in the 165-170 range (but really, take the test before you bother asking for chances again), you have the numbers for most of the schools you have listed, or at least to be a competitive applicant. Honestly, I'm not really sure what you are asking us to evaluate. No, you probably aren't getting into Stanford, but you know that, and this is true even of applicants with numbers above both of Stanford's medians.

rqin37

New

Post by rqin37 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:10 pm

TTTTorbust wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:18 pm
It's pretty obvious that your English skills are not the strongest, though I am not knowledgeable enough to say what affect that may have on admissions for you. Do you need to submit a TOEFL score? As far as your numbers go, assuming you are in the 165-170 range (but really, take the test before you bother asking for chances again), you have the numbers for most of the schools you have listed, or at least to be a competitive applicant. Honestly, I'm not really sure what you are asking us to evaluate. No, you probably aren't getting into Stanford, but you know that, and this is true even of applicants with numbers above both of Stanford's medians.
Thank you for answering. I chose engineering area in the first place, mostly because my English is bad. I am a foreign person. I do not need to submit TOEFL. I am asking because I can only take LSAT in Oct and Jan. So I need to plan my school list. If you have to ask, I took LSAT last year and got 157.

rqin37

New

Post by rqin37 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:14 pm

hookem7 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:08 pm
Without an actual LSAT score, your question is a hypothetical one that is difficult to answer. For now, put your focus into studying for the LSAT and getting the highest score possible. Think of it this way - every additional point earned is potentially worth thousands of dollars in scholarships. Mastering a learnable test can ultimately pay you six figures in extra future income by virtue of not having to repay a large loan balance. Don't be afraid to take it twice (or 3 times even) if you are PT'ing in the 170s and score only a 165.

Your engineering background will be somewhat helpful in admissions (engineers with your GPA will be unique, especially from a great school like Georgia Tech), but will mostly be helpful in getting a job down the road. Admissions is mostly a straight combination of GPA + LSAT, and you already did well in putting together a 3.81. You are in a good position. Now you just need to work on the second major piece.
Thank you for your encouraging words! I actually took it once and got 157. I am asking this hypothetical question because I can only take LSAT in Oct and Jan, which put me in very disadvantageous place. I need to make a plan before get a valid score.

silenttimer

Bronze

Post by silenttimer » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:39 pm

Why not just become an engineer? I've been practicing law over a decade and have been on this board even longer and, to be honest, if I had to do it over again, I would choose to become an engineer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”