339GRE/3.68uGPA/7 years WE - chance me? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
thomasthelawengine

New

339GRE/3.68uGPA/7 years WE - chance me?

Post by thomasthelawengine » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:29 am

Hello!

Curious about 1) my chances for T14 schools and 2) whether I should still take the LSAT. Mainly interested in tech law and/or tech policy and consumer protection online - any school recommendations will be awesome too.

Stats are below.

GRE: 339 (170v/169q).
uGPA: 3.68 at an Ivy. Dual Degree (Econ + Intl Studiez) + two minors (Japanese & Poli Sci)

Softs: non URM (Asian). Army vet (non US - served during LoA in undergrad ), 7 years exprience in tech/ecommerce (data science), first gen college grad.

Recs will most likely be glowing and I'll be putting in a lot of effort into my SOPs.

Thanks in advance for any input!

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: 339GRE/3.68uGPA/7 years WE - chance me?

Post by crazywafflez » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:05 pm

I'd apply without the LSAT unless you are getting above a 170 on your practice tests- not sure you'll get a scholarship without the lsat though (i just don't know enough tbh).
You are the right candidate though for GRE apps- and I think you should really give U of M or UVA real consideration. You'll get into a T14 I think. If you don't, take the LSAT and reapply another cycle.
Best of luck.

thomasthelawengine

New

Post by thomasthelawengine » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:11 pm

Wafflez,

Thanks for your reply!

Scholarship was my main concern re:GRE. I personally am not willing to attend any law school at sticker price (3-400k would buy me a condo and generate rent income for life!) which makes me feel uneasy about just applying with my GRE score.

I've been studying for the LSAT for the past month or so and have been getting around 170 timed;most errors occurring in logic games which I'm told is learnable. So i guess the upside of going for the LSAT would mainly be peace of mind.

re: UMich/UVA I'll def look into them; although the weather in Ann Arbor seems to be absolutely brutal. ;)

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:50 am

thomasthelawengine wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:11 pm
Wafflez,

Thanks for your reply!

Scholarship was my main concern re:GRE. I personally am not willing to attend any law school at sticker price (3-400k would buy me a condo and generate rent income for life!) which makes me feel uneasy about just applying with my GRE score.

I've been studying for the LSAT for the past month or so and have been getting around 170 timed;most errors occurring in logic games which I'm told is learnable. So i guess the upside of going for the LSAT would mainly be peace of mind.

re: UMich/UVA I'll def look into them; although the weather in Ann Arbor seems to be absolutely brutal. ;)
LG is certainly learnable. The reason I vouched for those two schools (and a plethora of others) mainly due to the GI bill and other benefits military folks get on the price. I think your price would be pretty reduced for going to a state school. I don't blame you for fearing the cold weather... I love to viist, not sure I'd love to live in it.
If you are getting around a 170 though I'd really consider taking the LSAT. I do think it is fine to apply without it though if you are in no rush to begin this cycle.

thomasthelawengine

New

Post by thomasthelawengine » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:24 am

Just an update :)

Decided to try the LSAT and bagged a 179 on the August exam! Do you think this would move the needle any?

Re: Specializations: I want to enter technology law/regulation/consumer protection after law school if all works out.

Re: Background: I'm a first gen immigrant (came here by myself as an adult vs with parents as a kid) as well as a first gen college student.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:50 am

thomasthelawengine wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:24 am
Just an update :)

Decided to try the LSAT and bagged a 179 on the August exam! Do you think this would move the needle any?

Re: Specializations: I want to enter technology law/regulation/consumer protection after law school if all works out.

Re: Background: I'm a first gen immigrant (came here by myself as an adult vs with parents as a kid) as well as a first gen college student.
Congrats! That's an amazing score! You'll be going somewhere in the T14 for free. I'd still look at those state schools within the T14 (like UVA), as I think there are other benefits for you if you get a great scholly but I'm unsure. Apply to all the T14 and whatever T20 you'd like and see where the chips fall. Should have a good cycle and hopefully really good options.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”