3.8 / 165 / URM at Berkeley ED Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
BearHopeful1

New

3.8 / 165 / URM at Berkeley ED

Post by BearHopeful1 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:21 am

What are my chances at being admitted to Berkeley Law through early decision?

I have personal circumstances anchoring me to NorCal, hence the early decision. I will blanket the t14 as well, but I'm asking about Berkeley specifically because it is far and away my first choice. I am fully aware of the financial stipulations of an ED application.

Other relevant info: I'm male. URM mixture is AA + white. I am not sure if mixed-race applicants are viewed the same as entirely URM applicants, so any insight into this is welcome.

BearHopeful1

New

Re: 3.8 / 165 / URM at Berkeley ED

Post by BearHopeful1 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:39 pm

Nothing??

Is Berkeley a reach for me? Likely? Impossible? Am I just a total idiot for considering ED? Any feedback at all would be helpful.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:05 pm

Hello. I'll try and give the best advice I can.
For your ED question- sure, if you are completely committed to Cal over the other T14, go ahead with it. You seem to understand the repercussions financially. As you know, your scores are a bit low for Cal, however, URM is a wildcard in your favor. I have no idea how applicants of mixed ancestry are viewed (I myself am of hispanic, middle eastern, and european ancestry) but did not notice a huge bump. I basically got into everywhere my scores predicted. However, for folks of Mexican, Puerto Rican, and AA backgrounds, I have heard that the bump is more appreciable (I think you can play around with stuff like acceptances and backgrounds on lawschool numbers or some webpage akin?). I think you'll get into a few T14s, certainly some T20s with great packages- if you'd rather go to Cal paying fullboat over say a scholarship to Gtown or NW I'd say go for it. I think you'll get into other T14s, and some of the lower ones with scholarships, but if you'd rather go to Cal and really feel the need to ED go ahead. Personally, I would not, but I'm not anchored to NorCal, but any T14 will most likely get you back there since you are from the area. I'd rather go to NW on a scholarship than Cal fullboat (however, you would still be taking a gamble either way). But for you it could make sense I guess.
In sum, (1) ED? I wouldn't, but for you it may be the right choice. (2) Will you get in? Most likely, yes. I'd think you'd get in at most of the T14, maybe not some T6 schools, but most I'd still apply broadly to all of them. (3) Does multiple ancestry make a difference? No clue, and no clue how schools will look at it.
Best of luck.

redanon20

New

Post by redanon20 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:34 pm

I think Berkeley's early decision provides a guaranteed scholarship (25k/year). The good news is that is pretty solid for Berkeley, the bad news is that it likely makes ED admissions more competitive than regular admissions.

Sorry I do not know your chances.

Edit: To give you a bit more info on your chances, I would suggest using admissions calculators (e.g., mylsn, lsdata, 7sage, etc.) These will give you a rough idea, but there are a few caveats. First, there is the consistent caveat with these calculators that they are self-reported. Second, as mentioned URM is tough to predict. Third, from what I have seen speculation is that next cycle will be competitive and slow. Competitive is important for obvious reasons (lowers your chances relative to the historical chances you will see on the admissions calculators), and slow is possibly important because schools may be reluctant to use ED if they are nervous about making decisions early in the cycle.

Good luck in any case!

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:27 pm

I think URM with a 165 and good GPA may be in a very strong position across the T14. Apply broadly.

TTTTorbust

New

Post by TTTTorbust » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:50 pm

I understand the rationale for Berkeley being your first (only?) choice. What I do not understand is why you think that ED is the rational decision here. Could you be accepted RD? Yes. Could you be accepted ED? Yes. Does ED increase your odds of acceptance? Maybe, though I am skeptical of how much, and with some very negative ramifications with respect to aid, which you have indicated awareness of. The better option is to retake. Have you signed up for the August LSAT? If not, why not?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”