Splitter military, chances at HYS? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Arose4

New

Splitter military, chances at HYS?

Post by Arose4 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:44 am

GPA: 3.56 at Ivy undergrad
GRE: 170V, 168M
4 years Marine Corps after college
Want to do public interest/government law
Thinking of applying early to Harvard/doing a dual degree (MPP)
I'd appreciate the feedback!

cavalier1138

Re: Splitter military, chances at HYS?

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:50 am

Why haven't you taken the LSAT? I ask because it's not clear that you're an ideal GRE applicant (no advanced degree or lengthy employment in a non-traditional field, middling GPA, etc.). And although you clearly have solid GRE scores, it's hard to apply the standard "splitter" treatment to evaluating your chances, because it's not clear that schools treat the GRE the same way as the LSAT for these purposes.

That said, a sub-3.6 makes Harvard a tough sell. You should apply more broadly across the T13, because you have a better shot (and a strong LSAT would put you in a much stronger position) at getting into schools that have a history of being splitter-friendly.

Specter1389

Bronze

Post by Specter1389 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:09 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:50 am
Why haven't you taken the LSAT? I ask because it's not clear that you're an ideal GRE applicant (no advanced degree or lengthy employment in a non-traditional field, middling GPA, etc.). And although you clearly have solid GRE scores, it's hard to apply the standard "splitter" treatment to evaluating your chances, because it's not clear that schools treat the GRE the same way as the LSAT for these purposes.

That said, a sub-3.6 makes Harvard a tough sell. You should apply more broadly across the T13, because you have a better shot (and a strong LSAT would put you in a much stronger position) at getting into schools that have a history of being splitter-friendly.
I agree that Harvard Law is a tough sell based on GPA alone, and OP should apply broadly across the T13. But with his background, I think he has a great shot at getting into the MPP or MPA program at Harvard Kennedy School. I know at least 5 military officers with worse undergrad GPAs and worse GRE scores who graduated/are attending HKS. Two of them were able to get their T-13 law school or M-7 business school to allow them to do a dual degree with their university and HKS, so would likely be a good option.

Additionally, I think 4 years as Marine Corps officer is definitely non-traditional. Particularly if OP was in a combat role like infantry/armor, etc. Also in my opinion based on my experience taking the GRE (for a Masters while on active duty), GMAT, and LSAT, OP's GRE score is a lot harder to achieve than a 170+ LSAT. Law schools have been accepting GRE scores for a few years now that admissions will know the competitiveness of it. While not a lock for any T-13, OP will likely get a few offers and assuming OP has the GI Bill, scholarships will not be an issue.

Specter1389

Bronze

Post by Specter1389 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:33 pm

Arose4 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:44 am
GPA: 3.56 at Ivy undergrad
GRE: 170V, 168M
4 years Marine Corps after college
Want to do public interest/government law
Thinking of applying early to Harvard/doing a dual degree (MPP)
I'd appreciate the feedback!
In addition to my advice above about potentially doing a dual degree with HKS and a separate university's law school, also reach out to Service2School. They will be able to provide a lot of help.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”