3.6 / 174 / 3 years WE Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
alwyn2020

New

3.6 / 174 / 3 years WE

Post by alwyn2020 » Fri May 28, 2021 7:52 pm

Hi, curious what people think my chances are at the schools below. My GPA is low, but I am writing an addendum about my dad being in jail during my first two years of college (substance abuse issues) and my struggling with depression because of it. My GPA improved a lot after he got out (3.8ish average).

HYS
Chicago
UVA
Columbia
NYU
Duke

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: 3.6 / 174 / 3 years WE

Post by crazywafflez » Sat May 29, 2021 3:53 pm

It is hard to tell, things have gotten more competitive, but you are for sure getting into the lower part of the T14 (NW, Gtown, UVA, Duke, Mich etc), and I think some will bite with decent scholarships. I also think the T6 are in the cards. I'd apply to all the T14 btw, and a T20 in the region you want to practice (i.e. Vandy, WashU, UCLA) and I think you'll get a fullride to one of these, which would also be a great deal. Apply broadly though, there's no substantive difference between Duke, UVA, NW, Cornell etc in my opinion, just go to the one you get the most money at (and bonus if it is in the market you want to practice in).
T6 is harder to predict, but I think you've got a shot at CCN. You aren't out of the running for HYS but they are always harder to predict. Just some unasked for advice as well- I'd urge you to go to Cornell for free over paying sticker at C or H.

LawboyScrub

New

Post by LawboyScrub » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:05 pm

Your chances are pretty good. LSAT is going to be more important than GPA. Also, what nationality are you? If you're a white male, your chances will go down a bit. I wouldn't so much focus on getting into the best school possible though. I understand at this point in your journey, that seems like the most important thing but really it's not.

Well, let me just tell you my story and you can take it for what it's worth. I went to my #1 choice law school and turned down several full scholarships at lesser law schools. While I was very stoked to attend my #1 choice law school, and while the education and experience was great, it didn't help much with my prospects after law school.

Just like there are two things that matter for admissions (LSAT and GPA), there are also two things that matter for jobs after law school. These are #1 GPA/class rank and #2 Law review. If you are not on Law review and you are not in the top 10% of your class, it will not make a difference if you go to Harvard or some unranked school. You will not get a job as a practicing attorney.

So, would you rather be a small fish in a big pond or a big fish in a small pond? If you think you can be the big fish in the big pond, by all means, go for it. But, remember, if you want to succeed in this game you must be a BIG fish and that means Law review and top of class!!! So, in my opinion, you should go for the free/cheap education and be the BIG fish!! This way, if you don't end up being the BIG fish at least you're not in debt $350k!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:12 pm

LawboyScrub wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:05 pm
Your chances are pretty good. LSAT is going to be more important than GPA. Also, what nationality are you? If you're a white male, your chances will go down a bit. I wouldn't so much focus on getting into the best school possible though. I understand at this point in your journey, that seems like the most important thing but really it's not.

Well, let me just tell you my story and you can take it for what it's worth. I went to my #1 choice law school and turned down several full scholarships at lesser law schools. While I was very stoked to attend my #1 choice law school, and while the education and experience was great, it didn't help much with my prospects after law school.

Just like there are two things that matter for admissions (LSAT and GPA), there are also two things that matter for jobs after law school. These are #1 GPA/class rank and #2 Law review. If you are not on Law review and you are not in the top 10% of your class, it will not make a difference if you go to Harvard or some unranked school. You will not get a job as a practicing attorney.

So, would you rather be a small fish in a big pond or a big fish in a small pond? If you think you can be the big fish in the big pond, by all means, go for it. But, remember, if you want to succeed in this game you must be a BIG fish and that means Law review and top of class!!! So, in my opinion, you should go for the free/cheap education and be the BIG fish!! This way, if you don't end up being the BIG fish at least you're not in debt $350k!
The only thing I can draw from this unambiguously wrong rant is that you failed to get a job despite going to a decent school (presumably--it's hard to tell whether you actually went somewhere decent). Your personal issues do not mean that there is any school in the nation where you have to be in the top 10% and on law review to get a job as a practicing attorney.

Sorry you didn't get hired. But your post is absolute nonsense from start to finish.

hookem7

Bronze

Post by hookem7 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:50 am

Other than this egregious anti-UT trolling - "T20 in the region you want to practice (i.e. Vandy, WashU, UCLA)" :lol: - I agree with everything crazywafflez has to say.

Your GPA might be a little low for the very very top schools, but it sounds like you have a compelling story and should still take your shot imo because a 174 is above the median LSAT for all law schools, and only YH have above a 174 as the 75th percentile. I personally think an upward GPA trend should be considered a decent soft factor, especially when there is a compelling reason/addendum backing you up.

Take the time to put together a solid application ahead of time so you can apply early and I have a feeling you will have some really great options. Once you have those options in play, you can come back and discuss how your scholarship options, career plans, preferred regions, etc should help form your ultimate decision.

Please ignore the uninformed commentary from LawboyScrub. The schools you will be accepted to don't have any difficulties placing those outside the top 10% or law review in great legal jobs.

TTTTorbust

New

Post by TTTTorbust » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:28 pm

LawboyScrub wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:05 pm

This is a laughably stupid claim. I'm sorry that you graduated below median at Northeast Alaska State School of Law. Please stop giving advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”