Oxford to T14? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
exiledamerican

New

Oxford to T14?

Post by exiledamerican » Wed May 19, 2021 5:22 am

Hi all,

I’m an American in my final year at Oxford, and hoping to attend a top US law school after a few years of work experience.

I’m curious how T5-type schools view the U.K. grading system. Do I absolutely need a First Class BA, or am I still viable with an Upper Second Class?

(I’m aware of the importance of the LSAT; I can expect something in the 173+ zone).

Thanks!!

bob311

Bronze

Re: Oxford to T14?

Post by bob311 » Wed May 19, 2021 8:30 am

Generally, for Yale and Stanford, you absolutely need a first. Same with Harvard, except Harvard usually lets in one or two upper seconds, but it’s rather rare. Can’t speak for Columbia or Chicago, but I assume they are looking for a first.

I would do everything you can to get a first. And don’t count the Lsat eggs before they hatch. I have known people with firsts from Oxbridge who didn’t crack 170. Not saying you won’t, but it’s not automatic.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Oxford to T14?

Post by crazywafflez » Wed May 19, 2021 9:49 am

exiledamerican wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 5:22 am
Hi all,

I’m an American in my final year at Oxford, and hoping to attend a top US law school after a few years of work experience.

I’m curious how T5-type schools view the U.K. grading system. Do I absolutely need a First Class BA, or am I still viable with an Upper Second Class?

(I’m aware of the importance of the LSAT; I can expect something in the 173+ zone).

Thanks!!
I'll pushback a little on the above. I know people who had Superior ratings and AAs get into T5 programs- and 1 person with an AA from Sci Po got into S, but they were a Unicorn applicant. I think Y will want that first class degree, S I think as well; however, H lets in plenty of AAs (most 2:1s will just be tossed in that camp), as does Columbia- I should clarify by plenty, I mean the dozen or so I know who have done it, not like hundreds are piling in. I assume Chi does as well, but I haven't met anyone that went there from foreign institutions. I think, unless you have something extraordinary, that YS are going to be extremely rough to get into without that S rating, however, I do think HCC- as well as the rest of the T14- would be in play with an AA.

Return to “What are my chances?”