Chances with gpa/lsat Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
gpetro00

New

Chances with gpa/lsat

Post by gpetro00 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:56 pm

My gpa is gonna finish around 3.55, lsat around 160.. Schools i've been looking into are George mason, william and mary, wake forest, fordam, northeastern... Was just curious if these scores are enough for these schools, and if there are any other schools I should be considering. I also have some pretty extensive extracurriculars; student gov. etc.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Chances with gpa/lsat

Post by crazywafflez » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:16 pm

I think a lot of those are going to be reaches, and if you get in they won't be worth the sticker cost. W&M, Wake, and Fordham all have higher medians, I believe. You have a shot at George Mason and Northeastern.
https://mylsn.info/v7huum/
If you are looking at regionals though you ought to decide where you want to be- Northeastern is fine for Mass- George Mason may be fine for the DC suburbs? I am not terribly familiar with these schools and am unsure of how they place within their own markets. You may want to look into other schools and expand your list. Even if you got into Wake, they place almost all of their class into the NC market- is that where you'd want to be? Similarly, Fordham and W&M mostly place into their respective states. If you want to practice in Jersey or something, Rutgers for cheap is a great option; likewise, Temple or Nova for Philly, etc. Most of these schools' graduates make anywhere from 40-80k (whether it be W&M or Northeastern); so you'll want to keep your debt around that level for these schools.
I'd really consider where you want your career to be and what your career goals are. If you want biglaw, you'll need to go to a T14(maybe T20ish). If you want to practice in Mass, going to Wake over Northeastern would be silly. Largely, after the T20, the schools ranked 21-60ish are largely interchangeable and heavily regional. Nobody in Atlanta cares that U of Minnesota or Arizona State are ranked higher than Emory or UGA, they are taking grads from Emory and UGA over Minnesota or Arizona.
I know you didn't ask for this extra information, but you should define your career goals/location area, and we can help give better advice. But, as it stands, your schools are kinda all over the place, mostly regional, and you don't quite have the stats for admission (and if you do get in, you'll be saddled by a hefty debt load).
Finally, there's nothing wrong with attending a school like Rutgers, Northeastern, or Ole Miss on a modest scholarship with a workable debt-load and realistic goals (smaller firm work, local government gigs like state ADA, PD, AG etc)
If your goals are to do biglaw though, I'd really suggest retaking the LSAT.

obamalaw

New

Post by obamalaw » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:29 pm

Below is a link to 7Sage. It is a really good site that will show you realistic expectations of getting into certain schools.

https://7sage.com/predictor/

It looks like those schools might be a stretch, but there are some decent schools you could realistically get into as well. I would look at going to a lower ranked school and you might get a very good scholarship vs your current reach schools.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:05 pm

obamalaw wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:29 pm
there are some decent schools you could realistically get into as well
That's an odd claim, considering we know nothing about what OP wants to do with their degree.

So on that note: OP, what do you want to do with your degree? The schools you "should" apply to will depend entirely on that, not your current LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”