Tax llm chances Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
hcl777

New

Tax llm chances

Post by hcl777 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:26 am

Looking for chances at NYU or GTown. I'm top 35%-ish (3.35, hopefully to improve this sem) at my T2, LR board, two tax related summers, currently have taken 5 tax classes and got As in 4, B- in tax 1 (and it still stings, let me tell you), capstone on tax topic. 3 more tax classes coming, but no grades for admissions. Can you tell I love tax?

I had abysmal undergrad grades (talking sub 2.5), like barely got into my lower t2 with $$. Do they even care about undergrad gpa?

I'd really like to go to NYU and break into the nyu biglaw market. Not opposed to big 4 at all.

Thank you in advance, the lack of published admissions stats makes thinking about applications so much more stressful.

taxllmhopeful2022

New

Re: Tax llm chances

Post by taxllmhopeful2022 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:16 pm

Top 35% at a T2 seems pretty low for being accepted into either NYU or GTown. However, the amount of tax classes you have taken, and your success in them, would make you a competitive applicant in my opinion. I don’t think your under grand GPA will have any affect, most tax LLM programs don’t ask for undergrad transcripts (except Florida).

I would tame any expectations of breaking into NYU big law though. Firms are still going to care about where you got your JD from, so unless you absolutely kill the tax LLM program (3.8+) you probably won’t be competitive. If your summer experiences were at firms then you might be more competitive, but generally if you weren’t big law material before the tax llm, you still won’t be afterwards.

If you are truly set on big law, then I would only recommend going to NYU, since they place significantly better than GTown. However, I can’t caution you enough that big law is not likely. The program only places 20-30% in big law, and most of these already had jobs lined up before the program started or went to a t14 school.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Tax llm chances

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:07 am

taxllmhopeful2022 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:16 pm
Top 35% at a T2 seems pretty low for being accepted into either NYU or GTown. However, the amount of tax classes you have taken, and your success in them, would make you a competitive applicant in my opinion. I don’t think your under grand GPA will have any affect, most tax LLM programs don’t ask for undergrad transcripts (except Florida).

I would tame any expectations of breaking into NYU big law though. Firms are still going to care about where you got your JD from, so unless you absolutely kill the tax LLM program (3.8+) you probably won’t be competitive. If your summer experiences were at firms then you might be more competitive, but generally if you weren’t big law material before the tax llm, you still won’t be afterwards.

If you are truly set on big law, then I would only recommend going to NYU, since they place significantly better than GTown. However, I can’t caution you enough that big law is not likely. The program only places 20-30% in big law, and most of these already had jobs lined up before the program started or went to a t14 school.
In my opinion, this post offers very solid, well-reasoned advice.

My best guess is that the poster who started this thread will likely be admitted to Georgetown & possibly NYU as well due to excellence in a number of tax courses taken during JD years.

Return to “What are my chances?”