Chances for 3.75 180 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Superrsplitter

New

Chances for 3.75 180

Post by Superrsplitter » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:08 pm

I graduated Magna Cum Laude and I also have a master's and a master's GPA of 4.0. Basically, what I want to know is how badly is my GPA setting me back? In my last year or so of uni, when I decided I wanted to go to law school, I got all A's. Will this trend be noticed by admissions and how much will it help me? My softs are pretty average I would say. What are my chances at scholly at t-6? Thanks.

axiomaticapiary

New

Re: Chances for 3.75 180

Post by axiomaticapiary » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:53 pm

A 180 is great, but it can't carry you wherever you want (LSAT inflation is a thing).

I would bet good money that you get into at least one of CCN, possibly H. A Hamilton/Rubenstein type scholarship is pretty unlikely (this is the equivalent of getting into Yale). Maybe you could get one of the public service full rides if you have an exemplary public service commitment, although it doesn't sound like this is the case based on what you're saying. GPA trends aren't really a thing.

My prediction for your final choices: in at one or two of HCCN with not very much money, great deals at multiple lower T14s (Duke, Michigan, Virginia, Cornell), full ride to your flagship state school.

You could make bank tutoring the LSAT with a 180. $50 an hour, you completely control your schedule and work from home. (The downside of LSAT inflation is devaluing your 180, but the upside is more people who will pay for your 180 expertise.) If there's anything you've ever wanted to do in your life before you start law school, consider tutoring for a bit and doing that.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:56 pm

You aren't really a splitter. You are getting into the T6. Idk what scholarships you'll get, but fairly certain you'll get some monies from the T6. If not, fairly confident of T14 amazing packages (which you should consider as well if given enough money). You are gonna have a good cycle.

Superrsplitter

New

Post by Superrsplitter » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:45 pm

axiomaticapiary wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:53 pm
"A 180 is great, but it can't carry you wherever you want (LSAT inflation is a thing)."

I know. I hope I did not sound too presumptuous about my scholly chances. I would be grateful for just getting into one of these schools tbh.

"I would bet good money that you get into at least one of CCN, possibly H. A Hamilton/Rubenstein type scholarship is pretty unlikely (this is the equivalent of getting into Yale). Maybe you could get one of the public service full rides if you have an exemplary public service commitment, although it doesn't sound like this is the case based on what you're saying. GPA trends aren't really a thing."

I suppose this is sort of what I expected. What would be your input for my application strategy? Should I acknowledge the trend in my application in any capacity? I only say this because it appears jarring to see a jump from mediocrity to some academic success on the transcript. I don't think I have a strong enough case for an addendum, but I was mentally in a bad place during those not-so-impressive semesters. Anyways, I would love to hear any input. My inclination at the moment is not to mention it.

Also, I appreciate the LSAT/tutor advice. It is certainly something I will look into.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your feedback. Seriously it means a lot. Thanks!

Superrsplitter

New

Post by Superrsplitter » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:47 pm

crazywafflez wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:56 pm
"You aren't really a splitter. You are getting into the T6. Idk what scholarships you'll get, but fairly certain you'll get some monies from the T6. If not, fairly confident of T14 amazing packages (which you should consider as well if given enough money). You are gonna have a good cycle."

Thanks for the feedback. It's much appreciated. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

axiomaticapiary

New

Post by axiomaticapiary » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:38 pm

No worries, didn’t think you sounded presumptuous. Just write good essays and get some good recs. You could plausibly get a Dillard or a Darrow, which are killer outcomes for anyone — or probably take on more debt for a T6.

My instinct would be not to mention the GPA thing, but consider asking a real admissions counselor for more info on this, especially if your mental health is at play. Good luck!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:40 am

A 3.75 isn’t a mediocre GPA. I realize that it’s below the 25th percentile for some of the very top schools, but that still doesn’t make it a mediocre GPA.

So for that reason I wouldn’t suggest offering any kind of addendum to address your mediocre GPA. I think you want to look like you have some perspective.

Superrsplitter

New

Post by Superrsplitter » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:53 pm

"A 3.75 isn’t a mediocre GPA. I realize that it’s below the 25th percentile for some of the very top schools, but that still doesn’t make it a mediocre GPA."

I know, and certainly, I don't want to make anyone feel less proud of their own accomplishments if they achieved the same or lower. Circumstances make things relative to a degree. It's just one of these things I have realized about school. That, of course, dedication and persistence are needed to achieve a high G.P.A. But one thing that is never really addressed is how much one also needs a sense of purpose and end goal and that this alone cannot be conceived by "willpower."

Basically, it's a lot about luck too. My first couple of years in college were aimless, and so although my G.P.A in those semesters isn't awful, it's not reflective of what I am capable of. If I had the drive to go to law school when I first started college, I could have done much better.

I hope no one takes this as a demonstration of my arrogance. I'm only lamenting that despite everything, it boils down to a plain number. But then again, this is neither the time nor place to air out this concern. I am also deeply aware many others have had it much worse and that I should be grateful nonetheless for a 3.75.

Thanks for your advice.

ALCA1920

New

Post by ALCA1920 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:19 pm

Retake.

On a serious note, you're above every 75th in the country. I think you know your chances already, maybe with the possible exception of Yale.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:52 pm

Apply to all of the T-14 that interest you. Expect lots of acceptances & several great merit scholarship offers.

Might be helpful to relate your masters degree subject to your interest in law.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”