3.9 AA Male Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Siege

New

3.9 AA Male

Post by Siege » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:37 am

Hello Fellow Posters I have a simple request for you all to me guide on the most methodical way to have a successful application cycle this coming fall for 2021. Below I will give my stats and explanation on my needs and desires in pursuing law school.

Status- AA Male
GPA (State School) by the time of fall 2021- Estimation between high 3.87-3.94 (depending on how I do this semester), I have relatively moderate difficulty classes so my GPA should remain in that range.
Recommendations- at least 3 professors
Application Essays/statements- should be done later

LSAT- Here is the big mystery and the dilemma in this situation. I have not taken the LSAT and I am only going to apply if I achieve a certain score as I only wish to attend a certain handful of schools. I am going to give an estimate score ranges of possible LSAT scores that I think are reasonably attainable (hopefully). If you have time I would like information on which schools would possibly give me an acceptance and scholarship money ranging from 50 percent tuition ($$) and a full ride ($$$$) if a miracle is bestowed upon me.

LSAT Estimate- 1. 165 2. 162 3. 158 (these are score ranges based on me being realistic but hey anything can happen good or bad.... Hopefully my score is towards the mid 160s especially with my gpa!

Schools I wish to apply to
- T14 and UT

Where I wish to work
- Texas big law, specifically the DFW and Houston, and Austin Metro area. Heard Austin is a tight market so I would probably most likely have to choose between DFW and Houston.

Sidenotes
1. I heard some schools in T14 like Cornell put an arm and leg out for URMS, especially AA applicants. Is this true and if so, what other schools in the T14/UT have this extra emphasis on URM/AA? I would like to put max effort in the applications for these schools especially in the supplemental essays like Why "X" school and the mini additional essays, diversity statement etc..

2. COL- I have housing connections with people close to me in various city where the T14 schools are located so COL is not really a problem for me so I wouldn't mind taking half tuition since my COL is covered.

3. Am I overestimating the URM advantage for AA Males? I have been various URM threads on different forums and the URM application cycle threads have these bizarre stats such as 3.6 and 156 LSAT but getting half tuition to some mid/lower t14s. This is consistent to and it is not just one or two users, idk I just feel like I would be an idiot not to try to try to push for applying with my gpa even with a substandard LSAT score. Especially since COL is covered for me so I have more incentive to try.

Synopsis (on what Info I would like).

1. What schools would be likely to accept me with my GPA and various LSAT predictions. Also how much money would I predictably get from the various T14/UT ($=25%) ($$=50%) etc.
2. Which T14/UT schools should I focus on in more on my application, based on their applicant preferences (URM desperate schools)

3. For UT specifically, how strong is it for Texas big Law? What percentage of UT law grads get big law jobs? It seems to be that UT would be the easiest to get money+acceptance for (in my school list), and I heard it has immense big law placement even more so than some T14s (in Texas)? Although the national flexibility of other T14 schools is enticing and I am pretty darn sure I want to stay in Texas but anything can happen....

4. How low is too low of a score to bother applying for T14/UT as an AA male with around a 3.9sh gpa give or take. I see this crazy acceptances on various URM threads with AA applicants hovering around 3.6/3.7 and a 157ish LSAT getting into some T14s with money. Maybe not a full ride for sure but they are getting at least quarter to half tuition with a 3.6/7 and a mid to high 150ish LSAT. It seems like I have to go for it especially since I have little cost of living to deal and I don't need a crazy high score to possibly go to a solid law school.

rnen22

New

Re: 3.9 AA Male

Post by rnen22 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:51 pm

I'm not an expert, so I'll just give my two cents on questions #1 and #2.

1. This is obviously really tough without knowing your LSAT score. Without being flippant, if you score anywhere 150+, I think you should apply to every school in the T14. Every T14 school wants to increase its minority population, and AA male applicants get the greatest admissions boost of any URM, so you have a genuine chance everywhere. Look at some past URM cycle results on this website to see what I'm talking about. Now, of course, just getting a 150 maybe gets you into a lower T-14, but going from 150 to 160 probably gets you into the T-6 schools with money, and 160-170 could get you a full ride. I would just pay the money for application fees at every T14 since you likely will get multiple acceptances, and then use your multiple offers to get a better scholarship.
2. I honestly think every t14 school wants to increase its minority population. Even if law schools didn't want to increase diversity in the first place, law firms are increasingly focusing on this in hiring, and law schools can't let their big law stats slip.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: 3.9 AA Male

Post by crazywafflez » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:34 pm

It'll be too hard for us to guess. Every cycle is different. A 165 as an AA will get you into the T6. I think a 158+ secures acceptance to some of the T14/20. I think you should apply widely. Add Vandy to your list. Ask for waivers to every school. I think you'll have a good cycle if you can secure a 160+, but you aren't out of the running necessarily with a lower score. Admissions and scholarships are a lot more of a crapshoot for URMs, so apply broadly and hope for the best, and make sure you keep that GPA up!

Return to “What are my chances?”