wild shot but 180, sub 3 GPA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
georgiapeaches

New

wild shot but 180, sub 3 GPA

Post by georgiapeaches » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:44 pm

I wanna apply this coming cycle to maximize my chances for $$, AA, 180 LSAT, sub 3.0 undergrad GPA. Have a grad degree, although I've heard that may not help.
I have 2 years worth of work experience and worked all throughout undergrad. Grew up in low socioeconomic conditions. I know it's all a wild shot but I think I can write a solid PS/DS about my life.

Goals: trying to maximize debt to $$$ ratio, so I'm flexible geographically, I can see myself all over in NYC, ATL, DC, CHI, TX, LA, CO, don't have ties to any tho. Shooting for biglaw.

pinheadlarry

New

Re: wild shot but 180, sub 3 GPA

Post by pinheadlarry » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:28 pm

180 lsat?!? Be Lsat tutor make big dollars

ESQ92

New

Post by ESQ92 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:08 pm

pinheadlarry wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:28 pm
Lol, this is the right answer. If you can flex to potential clients that you actually got a 180 and can prove it, I imagine business will be good.

namefromplace

Bronze

Post by namefromplace » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:58 pm

The general rule is apply everywhere when you're a super splitter, and that's doubly true if you're AA. If you're looking for generic biglaw and looking to maximize debt ratio, then anywhere you end up in the T14 should be fine (apply everywhere in the T-14 to be able to negotiate scholarships better) and as an AA, you'd probably have a pretty good shot at biglaw from a T-20 as well. Honestly with such a high LSAT score and being AA, HSY might be in play, but they wouldn't make sense for your goals. Apply throughout the T20 and I'm pretty sure you'll get a good scholly somewhere.

georgiapeaches

New

Post by georgiapeaches » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:32 pm

pinheadlarry wrote:
lol maybe, it took months, and 50+ PTs but I got it, I think I could teach it, but I do wanna be a lawyer

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

georgiapeaches

New

Post by georgiapeaches » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:34 pm

namefromplace wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:58 pm
The general rule is apply everywhere when you're a super splitter, and that's doubly true if you're AA. If you're looking for generic biglaw and looking to maximize debt ratio, then anywhere you end up in the T14 should be fine (apply everywhere in the T-14 to be able to negotiate scholarships better) and as an AA, you'd probably have a pretty good shot at biglaw from a T-20 as well. Honestly with such a high LSAT score and being AA, HSY might be in play, but they wouldn't make sense for your goals. Apply throughout the T20 and I'm pretty sure you'll get a good scholly somewhere.
would HSY really be in play though? I mean them, Chicago, and Berekley are GPA snobs no? I mean I think I could get the max need based aid if I went to HSY but I also still have undergrad debt which is why I'm highly debt averse

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:38 am

georgiapeaches wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:34 pm
namefromplace wrote:
would HSY really be in play though? I mean them, Chicago, and Berekley are GPA snobs no? I mean I think I could get the max need based aid if I went to HSY but I also still have undergrad debt which is why I'm highly debt averse
Even if they would be in play, and I’m not sure I agree that they would, they would not give you the best chance of achieving your goal.

I’m not sure if you know this, but as a URM, you can get biglaw from a much lower spot in your class (at any school) than the standard generally accepted biglaw cutoff. So let’s say that the top 50% at Georgetown has a great shot at biglaw generally. You should be able to hit it as long as you’re not in the absolute bottom of the class.

You’ll want, therefore, to land at something like t7-t20 that’ll give you the most money. Even if you get into t6, I think it’s unlikely they’ll give you anything approaching a full ride (nyu mayyyybe).

My advice: apply broadly, blanket the t20 maybe adding in like Fordham BC Gw. Then come back on this thread when you have results and scholly figures.

And apply early in the cycle!!!! This is very important. Applying later on in the cycle could be very detrimental to your chances, as these schools probably have few of any spots for sub-3 gpas.

Given your unique/diverse situation, I’d bet you could get a bunch of application fee waivers if you just ask (and I suspect with a 180, a number have been offered).

And also don’t let a few unanticipated dings throw you off. This should be expected as an extreme splitter and also you might get a bit of yield protection dings/WLs.

Good luck.

pinheadlarry

New

Post by pinheadlarry » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:47 pm

georgiapeaches wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:32 pm
pinheadlarry wrote:
lol maybe, it took months, and 50+ PTs but I got it, I think I could teach it, but I do wanna be a lawyer
Ahh okay but seriously congratulations on 180 that is insane. Theres a guy named Trevor Klee who had news story on his tutor business. According to him, he works right now no more than 20 hours a week and earns 8k a month tutoring Lsat,Gmat, and GRE with a startup cost of less than $300. To answer your original question, for whatever my opinion is worth, I heard Northwestern and UVA are splitter friendly and I bet you can get a good scholarship. Also gimme tips on RC pls.

tlsguy2020

New

Post by tlsguy2020 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:17 pm

Wow, congrats. The move probably is maximizing the number of applications you send out, because this is an absolute wild card. I would blanket T20 and also consider Fordham, Hastings, GW, and similar depending on market

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

namefromplace

Bronze

Post by namefromplace » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:24 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:38 am
georgiapeaches wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:34 pm
namefromplace wrote:
Even if they would be in play, and I’m not sure I agree that they would, they would not give you the best chance of achieving your goal.

I’m not sure if you know this, but as a URM, you can get biglaw from a much lower spot in your class (at any school) than the standard generally accepted biglaw cutoff. So let’s say that the top 50% at Georgetown has a great shot at biglaw generally. You should be able to hit it as long as you’re not in the absolute bottom of the class.

You’ll want, therefore, to land at something like t7-t20 that’ll give you the most money. Even if you get into t6, I think it’s unlikely they’ll give you anything approaching a full ride (nyu mayyyybe).

My advice: apply broadly, blanket the t20 maybe adding in like Fordham BC Gw. Then come back on this thread when you have results and scholly figures.

And apply early in the cycle!!!! This is very important. Applying later on in the cycle could be very detrimental to your chances, as these schools probably have few of any spots for sub-3 gpas.

Given your unique/diverse situation, I’d bet you could get a bunch of application fee waivers if you just ask (and I suspect with a 180, a number have been offered).

And also don’t let a few unanticipated dings throw you off. This should be expected as an extreme splitter and also you might get a bit of yield protection dings/WLs.

Good luck.
This post is wholly. HSY and other more grade snobby places would be less likely to give you offers than other places (obviously), but your extreme split and URM status would make it not so impossible as to not throw out an application. But as suggested here, your best bet would be to blanket the T20 and a couple other strong regional schools in areas you would like to practice. While you aren't likely to get a get scholarship from a T6, applying there could still be beneficial for scholarship negotiation.

polareagle

Bronze

Post by polareagle » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:50 pm

First of all, congrats on the 180. That's a real achievement, and it sounds like you got there through hard work rather than simply being a genius.

Everyone's right that you should blanket the T-14. But I don't agree that if you get into HYS you should dismiss them out of hand, even given your goals.

I think a key question is why you got a such a low GPA in undergrad. Sub-3.0 is notably low, especially for someone who's clearly very smart. If you were going through stuff or had a full-time job, or had some other circumstance that won't apply again, then don't worry about it. (But if it's a job, obviously don't work during law school.) If there's some other reason that could possibly repeat in law school--or if you're not sure why your GPA was so low or it's because "I didn't take it seriously" or something--be very, very careful about your law school choice.

It would be an absolute shame to waste a 180 on a lower T-14 school, end up towards the bottom of your class, and end up jobless. That absolutely can and does happen, including to URM students.

(I assume the poster above who said your 180 will get you a job was joking. To be clear, your LSAT is totally, completely, 100% irrelevant once you're in law school. You don't get credit for having gotten into Harvard if you go to Georgetown. The latter is a great school that gives great outcomes to a lot of its students, but it doesn't provide the options for the bottom 25% of its class that Harvard does.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”