3.59 from top public school, 167Q/167V GRE Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
munsk

New

3.59 from top public school, 167Q/167V GRE

Post by munsk » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:48 pm

I've been mulling what to do with myself after I finish my master's in computer science. I'm an older student (8 years out). I started this maters as a way to get back into school and eventually start a PhD in Econ, but that's increasingly unappealing to me. I've got several years of research experience in Econ. How would that play out for admissions?

A few other things that might be a factor:
1. I transferred after my first year; that first year was tough due to the transfer (and family issues). Excluding that year, my first year pre-transfer was a 3.7 and my final two years were at 3.8.
2. That ETS gre to lsat converter tells me my gre is equivalent to a 173.
3. My undergrad and my master's program are universities with top-10 law schools-- does this legacy stuff matter to adcoms?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: 3.59 from top public school, 167Q/167V GRE

Post by crazywafflez » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:33 pm

I can't speak to the GRE/LSAT stuff- you'll just have to try and see (but I've heard that they don't really give scholarships, so that is a consideration). Your GPA is be averaged all out by LSAC. I think it'll be averaged with your bad year (they ask for everything). As far as softs go, your masters work plus work exp will give you a soft push at the edges. If you are borderline for admittance to a place it may push you over the edge. Far and away the most important part of your application will be your LSAT score and GPA (UG). Adcomms don't really care what your alma mater is.
I'd recommend taking the LSAT if you want scholarship money (you do). Maybe someone who knows more about the GRE and scholarships can chime in.

munsk

New

Re: 3.59 from top public school, 167Q/167V GRE

Post by munsk » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:32 pm

Thank @crazywafflez. I've been talking to a bunch of people, and figured I'd add a few notes on my discovery:

1. Looks like older applicants are seen favorably, comp. sci masters is also a good(ish) plus (on the margins anyway)
2. I was told to write a note explaining the GPA drop though it won't make too much of a difference since US News won't care.
3. If I want a decent shot at a mid-T14 school, I have to take the LSAT and kill it. "175+" is what I was told, so that seems a rather high bar....

The idea seems to be that

1) either you're smart enough to do well in a regular major,
2) you major in origami (or perhaps paper airplane making) and get that 4.0, or barring those
3) get a really, really, really good score on the LSAT.

Also, paper airplanes+a 180 might still get you rejected from Yale; that's just how they are.

Return to “What are my chances?”