GPA 16/20, LSAT 178, International, non-URM, F Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cheneeeerica

New

GPA 16/20, LSAT 178, International, non-URM, F

Post by cheneeeerica » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:47 pm

Hello,
I'm a foreign student in a French university. My average GPA is around 16/20, and my LSAT is 178. I'm going to apply in 2021 fall. I don't know what grade will LSAC give me. I would like to know what are my chances to get into T14 with scholarships : ) I feel very uncertain currently because I don't know how LSAC views French GPA and I don't have super strong softs.
Thank you all in advance for your help!

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: GPA 16/20, LSAT 178, International, non-URM, F

Post by crazywafflez » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:34 am

Apply widely. I think they'll give you an above-average (good news, it won't really hold you back).
I'd apply to H on down and possibly apply to Vandy/UT/UCLA depending on where you want to practice (although, I'd be a bit weary of even these- you effectively need biglaw if you want a visa afterwards). I think you'll see some good things from G'town and some other schools in the T14. Also, H gives internationals some love as well, so make sure to apply broadly to basically every T14- your cycle (and scholarships) will be kinda unpredictable. I'd also email the schools asking for an application fee waiver. Your LSAT is by far your most important part of your application. Your GPA will effectively not count, and while I've heard H cares about Superior ratings, I haven't seen any concrete proof one way or the other and anecdotally, I have friends who have gotten into even S with not as great foreign grades but killer LSATs (whoever, they were a unicorn, so I wouldn't lean towards S). Best of luck and don't fret too much, you'll get into a lot of places and probs with some good offers.

cheneeeerica

New

Post by cheneeeerica » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:08 pm

crazywafflez wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:34 am
Apply widely. I think they'll give you an above-average (good news, it won't really hold you back).
I'd apply to H on down and possibly apply to Vandy/UT/UCLA depending on where you want to practice (although, I'd be a bit weary of even these- you effectively need biglaw if you want a visa afterwards). I think you'll see some good things from G'town and some other schools in the T14. Also, H gives internationals some love as well, so make sure to apply broadly to basically every T14- your cycle (and scholarships) will be kinda unpredictable. I'd also email the schools asking for an application fee waiver. Your LSAT is by far your most important part of your application. Your GPA will effectively not count, and while I've heard H cares about Superior ratings, I haven't seen any concrete proof one way or the other and anecdotally, I have friends who have gotten into even S with not as great foreign grades but killer LSATs (whoever, they were a unicorn, so I wouldn't lean towards S). Best of luck and don't fret too much, you'll get into a lot of places and probs with some good offers.
Hi, thank you so much for your answer! I heard from others that 16+ in French unis can get me an S but I'm not sure about this so I'd better be cautious. Do you think that softs are very important? By the time I apply I will have two internships at courts and possibly one summer school in the field of law. I also write articles for some student magazines/thinktanks. I heard that because people with high LSAT scores increased a lot, softs have become more important than before, so I'm a bit worried because I don't have much time to improve my softs.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:58 pm

No clue if you'll get an above-average or superior- it ultimately won't really matter all that much. Softs are important at the margins (unless you are an URM or have just amazing softs like Rhodes Scholar or Olympic athlete). Your softs are fine- you won't be hurt or really helped by any. Your LSAT is far and away the most important component and you have a seriously impressive score. Don't fret too much, you are gonna get some good options. If you don't get a fantastic scholarship package to Gtown/comparable schools, I'd be shocked. I think waiting to apply in fall of 2021 is a smart move and you'll be in a great position to see how the chips fall. I hate to say folks are a lock on things but I cannot imagine CCN, or even H really, rejecting you (don't hold this as a mandate, I'm totally guessing). You are going to have a good to great cycle.

FrenchMomo

New

Post by FrenchMomo » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:00 am

Hi! I Pm'd you! I'm French too ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ParkJiSung777

New

Post by ParkJiSung777 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:30 pm

cheneeeerica wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:08 pm
crazywafflez wrote:
Hi, thank you so much for your answer! I heard from others that 16+ in French unis can get me an S but I'm not sure about this so I'd better be cautious. Do you think that softs are very important? By the time I apply I will have two internships at courts and possibly one summer school in the field of law. I also write articles for some student magazines/thinktanks. I heard that because people with high LSAT scores increased a lot, softs have become more important than before, so I'm a bit worried because I don't have much time to improve my softs.
Hey just wondering but what did your 16 turn out to be in terms of Above Average or Superior? I'm going to be graduating from Sciences Po Paris with with probably a 15.7 or 15.8 and I'm a bit worried with the Superior cutoff seemingly at 16, I might be a bit too short of it.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:05 pm

Don't worry about it too much. Even if you get an Above Average rather than an S it won't make a significant difference at all. The most important thing in your application will be your LSAT- focus on that and pump it up. I haven't heard of really any schools placing weight on international folks' transcripts- anecdotally, I think AA and S are both in the same boat and you just don't want an A. Yale may care, but don't worry too much and just pump out the rest of your application to be the best it can.

cheneeeerica

New

Post by cheneeeerica » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:21 pm

ParkJiSung777 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:30 pm
cheneeeerica wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:08 pm
crazywafflez wrote:
Hey just wondering but what did your 16 turn out to be in terms of Above Average or Superior? I'm going to be graduating from Sciences Po Paris with with probably a 15.7 or 15.8 and I'm a bit worried with the Superior cutoff seemingly at 16, I might be a bit too short of it.
Hi! I still haven't received my grading yet so I can't answer your question. I'm not sure whether a 15.8 will be counted as Superior or not, but the GPA grading will not affect your application that much. What's more important is your LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”