UGPA 3.1 LSAT 163 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
whitecat18

New

UGPA 3.1 LSAT 163

Post by whitecat18 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:38 pm

Hello everyone,
I am really nervous for to start the process of applying. I am first generation college student. I am aware my GPA is pretty low considering that I want to be a lawyer. Is there anything I can do, I have time. Is there anything I can do to brighten up my resume? I am also in the military (reservist) and doing an DC internship remotely. I'm also a mexican-american gay woman. What are my hopes for a top 60 law school? Such as Pepperdine and Colorado Boulder and UC Hastings, just to name a few. I need reassurance that I am on the right path even though my gpa is low. A URM and military personnel, does that help somehow? I go to a local state university studying Political Science. What are my chances?

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: UGPA 3.1 LSAT 163

Post by crazywafflez » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:53 pm

Hey, as a URM, you'll get a bit of a boost in your cycle, so that is the good news! And doing military stuff is always a bonus. Your GPA is low and your lsat is decent. I think you'll have a great shot at T1 schools though, and I think you'll get some aid/scholarships as well for some of them. Remember- go to the school where you want to practice. I.e. if you want to work in Colorado, Boulder is a great choice, but it won't get you California. Likewise, if SoCal is where you want to be, Pepperdine is the better pick. Outside of the T14, law is very regional. Nobody in Boston cares that WashU is ranked higher than BU or BC, they are taking that BU/BC grad. Go to the state school you want to practice in for the cheapest price possible. If you want to practice in CO, going to Boulder for cheap, or going to U of D for free, are great outcomes. They won't get you a job in DC or guarantee you biglaw though. If your goals are biglaw type things, you may need to retake for a slightly higher score and attempt to get into a T20 or T14.
Regardless, apply broadly and see where the chips fall. Best of luck.

Return to “What are my chances?”