4.24/170 New to this site Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
justsum1

New

4.24/170 New to this site

Post by justsum1 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:41 am

Will be graduating with a 4.24 in poli sci from a large public. Got a 170 on the LSAT. I'm a 12 year military veteran, have a 6 month internship from a congressman, and have 2 really solid rec letters from professors and 1 from the congressman. I also don't have to negotiate scholarships because I have the GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon program that will cover my full tuition.

CONS: I'm a white male in his early 30's and 40ish of my credits were credited from the military. My school is still giving me summa cum laude and LSAC is still giving me a 4.24 weighted - 4.0 non weighted.

I'd really like to get into a T1. I'm new to this site and honestly haven't talked to many people about this. What do you all think?

nixy

Gold

Re: 4.24/170 New to this site

Post by nixy » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:24 am

You will absolutely get into a T1, and should be admitted to almost all of them. Being a white male in your early 30s won't have any effect on your application whatsoever. It's not remotely a con.

As for the military credits, at Yale you might get some faculty reviewers being snooty about where your credits came from, but generally, what your GPA is overwhelmingly more important than where it's from. (To be clear: there is some indication that having gone to a very top school can help somewhat, but the absence of a top school won't actively hurt you. It means you just don't have a very slight bump that someone else might. And military experience is often a decent plus factor.)

LSAT and UGPA are by far the most important elements of your application, and yours are great. You should check out mylsn.info, which indicates that you have a good shot at admission everywhere from CCN down.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:10 pm

Agreed with Nixy- you are gonna get fullrides to a lot of T1s, possibly some T20s as well, and you'll get into the T14, possibly even T6 (I'd say you've got a good shot at CCN- but personally, I'd take a fullride at the bottom of the T14 or a T20 in my region over paying sticker at NYU). You should have a good cycle- apply soon if you plan on going this cycle. Best of luck.

justsum1

New

Post by justsum1 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:31 am

nixy wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:24 am
You will absolutely get into a T1, and should be admitted to almost all of them. Being a white male in your early 30s won't have any effect on your application whatsoever. It's not remotely a con.

As for the military credits, at Yale you might get some faculty reviewers being snooty about where your credits came from, but generally, what your GPA is overwhelmingly more important than where it's from. (To be clear: there is some indication that having gone to a very top school can help somewhat, but the absence of a top school won't actively hurt you. It means you just don't have a very slight bump that someone else might. And military experience is often a decent plus factor.)

LSAT and UGPA are by far the most important elements of your application, and yours are great. You should check out mylsn.info, which indicates that you have a good shot at admission everywhere from CCN down.
justsum1 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:41 am
Will be graduating with a 4.24 in poli sci from a large public. Got a 170 on the LSAT. I'm a 12 year military veteran, have a 6 month internship from a congressman, and have 2 really solid rec letters from professors and 1 from the congressman. I also don't have to negotiate scholarships because I have the GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon program that will cover my full tuition.

CONS: I'm a white male in his early 30's and 40ish of my credits were credited from the military. My school is still giving me summa cum laude and LSAC is still giving me a 4.24 weighted - 4.0 non weighted.

I'd really like to get into a T1. I'm new to this site and honestly haven't talked to many people about this. What do you all think?
Thank you both for the responses. I'm trying to go HYS. Not really in it for the money, just one of those masochists aimed toward policy reform.

ksm6969

Bronze

Post by ksm6969 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:22 am

H loves early 30s vets who pay full price and have political aspirations.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:39 pm

justsum1 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:31 am
Not really in it for the money, just one of those masochists aimed toward policy reform.
Lawyers don't typically do much policy reform. They interpret, enforce, and advise clients on existing policies.

Are you talking about impact lit?

justsum1

New

Post by justsum1 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:59 am

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:39 pm
justsum1 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:31 am
Not really in it for the money, just one of those masochists aimed toward policy reform.
Lawyers don't typically do much policy reform. They interpret, enforce, and advise clients on existing policies.

Are you talking about impact lit?
I agree, 99.9% of lawyers aren't in any way involved with policy reform. With that said, 225 members of the current Congress have law degrees. I am a fool, however I don't ever wish to be in that position. I was talking about consulting and drafting said legislation/policy - though, that too is a bit massochistic and a long way from here.

In the meantime I would like to aim toward something more realistic such as; impact litigation, pro bono, civil rights, and more broadly, international law and human rights. Beggars can't be choosers and bills still pile up - finding balanced opportunities is important. Again, I'm new to this and still browsing. If you have any advice I'm all ears - very good chance I haven't heard it before. Thanks and happy holidays!

justsum1

New

Post by justsum1 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:13 am

ksm6969 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:22 am
H loves early 30s vets who pay full price and have political aspirations.
They wouldn't like me lol

plurilingue

Bronze

Post by plurilingue » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:32 pm

justsum1 wrote:

You are going to HYS and probably H. Good chance of one of Y/S. Probable full ride at one CCN and major scholarships at the rest. I don’t know what the other posters are smoking here.

Anon-non-anon

Bronze

Post by Anon-non-anon » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:10 am

plurilingue wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:32 pm
justsum1 wrote:

You are going to HYS and probably H. Good chance of one of Y/S. Probable full ride at one CCN and major scholarships at the rest. I don’t know what the other posters are smoking here.
Yeah especially with tuition covered...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”