NYU or GULC Tax LLM Chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
eventorproduct

New

NYU or GULC Tax LLM Chances?

Post by eventorproduct » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:59 pm

I’m over 6 years out. Litigation boutique, smallish, lots of health law and some regulatory. Ivy undergrad, T20 law school (slacked first year, but strong upward trend).

Problem is, I took fed income tax and got a C+. BUT I did really enjoy handling a pro Bono tax case, and some tax issues that have come up in cases. With good LORs and good essays, what are the odds?

chevron321

New

Re: NYU or GULC Tax LLM Chances?

Post by chevron321 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:18 pm

eventorproduct wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:59 pm
I’m over 6 years out. Litigation boutique, smallish, lots of health law and some regulatory. Ivy undergrad, T20 law school (slacked first year, but strong upward trend).

Problem is, I took fed income tax and got a C+. BUT I did really enjoy handling a pro Bono tax case, and some tax issues that have come up in cases. With good LORs and good essays, what are the odds?
OP, I know people who got into GULC Tax LLM without tax courses (otherwise good grades, T60 law school) or with one tax class where they got a B (again, otherwise good grades and unranked school). I would say you have a fair shot for GULC Tax. NYU is a little trickier, but with your work experience, might be possible. If I were you, I would address the C+ in Fed Income Tax in your LOI (obviously this is not mandatory but I would). Also, since end of JD to now what led to your interest in tax law (have you been keeping up with tax law news? TCJA? CARES Act? Lots of fun stuff! :lol: Best of luck!

Return to “What are my chances?”