Page 1 of 1

4.1/169 - Canadian applicant chances?

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:51 pm
by drip.bayless
Hi TLS,

I'm a Canadian law applicant one year out of undergrad (STEM) with a ~4.1/4.33. My LSAT is a 169 on my first try. I am applying broadly in Canada and expect to get a few offers, but I have ties to NY/CA so I'll also be applying to NYU, Berkeley, and Columbia.

What do you think my chances are as of right now? Would it be beneficial to re-write in January and push for a 171+ (obviously not guaranteed but I think it's possible), or would pushing my app back that late be detrimental?

Thanks in advance!

Re: 4.1/169 - Canadian applicant chances?

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:53 pm
by slb2017
For the schools you mentioned, I think you have a very good shot with a 169. With a 171+, you'll have an even better chance and might as well include HYS (although I think you have a shot at those with your current numbers as well). Good luck!

Re: 4.1/169 - Canadian applicant chances?

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:56 pm
by slb2017
Forgot to mention -- most schools don't accept the January LSAT for a fall start without a special reason for writing late. I might be wrong, but I remember Chicago and Yale being two of the few schools that do accept the January LSAT. I think you should apply with your September LSAT (unless you're okay waiting a year).

Re: 4.1/169 - Canadian applicant chances?

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:10 pm
by nixy
slb2017 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:56 pm
Forgot to mention -- most schools don't accept the January LSAT for a fall start without a special reason for writing late. I might be wrong, but I remember Chicago and Yale being two of the few schools that do accept the January LSAT. I think you should apply with your September LSAT (unless you're okay waiting a year).
Can't guarantee b/c I only checked a couple of schools, but I'm pretty sure January is the latest LSAT you can take without being late. Columbia and Berkeley both take the January LSAT. I think it's any later ones that present an issue.

Re: 4.1/169 - Canadian applicant chances?

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:04 pm
by NoLongerALurker
You absolutely need to take the LSAT again, even if it means delaying school a year. With your GPA, a 169 means you probably get into those schools. But a 175 means you have full rides at some or all of them. Especially as a foreign student who will have higher interest rates on loans (and trouble getting them, frankly), not to mention the uncertainty with visas and the fact you might end up back in a lower paying international market, it would be absolutely batty to take on 200k of debt when you don't need to by just taking another crack or two at LSAT.

Source: Am Canadian, worse GPA than you, took LSAT twice, including the January LSAT -- second time had a great score and got full rides to the schools you are looking at.

Edit to add -- might want to throw Harvard/Yale on list, if only because they have better loan accessibility for foreign students. Harvard will give you institutional loans and you'll qualify for loans without a cosigner at the Harvard Credit Union, for example. Columbia, for instance, has no such ability to access loans without a US cosigner (that I'm aware of)