Chances and Best Course of Action? 172/3.13 Non-URM Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
nukemind

New

Chances and Best Course of Action? 172/3.13 Non-URM

Post by nukemind » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:15 pm

A few months back I asked what my chances are, and was told to focus on the LSAT first. That was great advice- the difference between a 170 and a 172 is vast. My GPA was not what I thought it was- thanks to dual credit in HIgh School when I lived with my mother (she truly does have a mental illness, but it did make life miserable) I had quiet a few C's which brought it down.

I am a 172/3.13 Texan. Once I send an updated transcript I believe it will be 3.15, after this semester 3.2ish. Got 3 A+s and 3 A's right now, along with of course 45 hours a week at work.

UVA has become my dream. I realize Columbia is unattainable, but looking at UVA, the city it's in (nice and small), etc- it's my dream school.

I plan on blanketing the T14- except for Stanford, Penn, and Yale. My dream is Texas Biglaw to inhouse, or I guess Susman or another Boutique but I would guess that's planning for the far future. UVA and Duke both have great Texas clubs with 1L programs. I also plan on applying to UT, SMU, Wash U, and Vandy. Baylor maybe.

I am also also thinking of doing Early Decision to UVA.

I am not dumb- I probably will not get much if any scholarships from anyone. What are my honest chances? MyLSN gives a good chance at UVA, I just don't know if that's with or without ED. They give a lower chance of UT- but the one who got in got a massive scholarship. 7Sage gives a much greater chance of getting in. Should I retake the LSAT? 172 was at the upperbound of my PTs and I haven't studied for a bit, but I went from 154->172 in literally 1.5 months studying whilst working and studying, so I could probably improve again if I really buckled down.

I know that's all a mouthful but I would really appreciate sage advice. I know everyone hates sticker but I am not to afraid of it- I hate my current work and have worked 70hours+ for weeks in a row, but for 15 an hour. Put up with it for almost four years now. I still of course would hate to pay sticker... ED UVA? No ED to UVA? Blanket the T14? More specialized? Apply to Baylor? I am so confused. Worked hard for a year to get to here but now I am rudderless. Medium-Good softs, great addendum, not bad personal statement.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Chances and Best Course of Action? 172/3.13 Non-URM

Post by crazywafflez » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:16 pm

If UVA gives a scholarship to the ED, I'd go for it- I don't think they do though. I'd apply broadly to basically all the T20 that are pertinent- i.e. UT, Duke, NW, Vandy, G'Town, UVA, etc.; I think all of these would get you back to TX. WashU, SMU (for Dallas), U of H (for Houston); that is probs all I'd do. Maybe throw Emory or Tulane in for another Houston option but honestly don't see a need as both SMU and U of H will place better in their respective cities.
If you feel a retake will help you, go for it. You can apply now and then show your updated score later. 172 is pretty darn high and not sure there will be a huge difference for a 173. Again, as a huge splitter, apply broadly. Biglaw in TX is obtainable from most of these options.
I think you'll get a snag from the T20 though and a decent package somewhere.

nukemind

New

Re: Chances and Best Course of Action? 172/3.13 Non-URM

Post by nukemind » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:12 pm

Correct no guranteed scholarships for UVA. I have heard anecdotal stories of people asking for help even when they do ED and getting some scholarships, and the dean said ED doesn't effect scholarships positively or negatively. But the lowest GPA with a scholarship I could find was a 172/3.2. I don't think I could get one tbh.

I appreciate it! I will blanket the T20 instead of the T14 and avoid the ones with no chance at Texas. I truly love Texas... I have no problem living in this tiny 1 bedroom condo. I could afford to buy a house at 15 dollars an hour and my dollar goes far here. It has tons of problems, but cost of living is not one luckily. And I will have family to take care of so I couldn't stay gone if I wanted to lol. No income tax helps. Biglaw is moving to SA too which also helps.

Return to “What are my chances?”