Tax LLM Admission Chances Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Felixafadsfakfhl

New

Tax LLM Admission Chances

Post by Felixafadsfakfhl » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:09 pm

Hello, I am currently a rising 3L in a law school ranked 30-40. My current class ranking is around 50%, but I am looking to improve next semester. I have taken federal income tax and received a B+. I have also taken partnership taxation and estate planning, but the school did a mandatory pass/fail grading last semester due to COVID. Therefore, I did not receive letter grades for those two classes. I will be participating in our school's tax clinic next semester. I am just wondering what are my chances to get admitted to the top-4 tax LLM programs, and is it worth the time to apply? I appreciate any advice.

Knight2021

New

Re: Tax LLM Admission Chances

Post by Knight2021 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:14 am

Hello,

I am too interested in applying to a Tax LLM. It is really difficult to know exactly what the admission standards are since no data is actually released. From what research I have done, it appears that being near median at a t14 is a sure in. Top 20% from a tier 1 or tier 2, or top 10% from a tier 3 or tier 4 gives you a good chance. Of course class rankings are only one aspect. A high tax gpa can boost your odds. Work experience and a proven interest in tax can really help too.

Of course, most of my information has come from websites like this, so not really sure how reliable the above information is. There are plenty of people claiming to be top 20% at a tier 4 and getting accepted, while several people at a top 20 school being rejected with the same class rank.

I have also heard that admissions might be very competitive this year as people may want to "pass" on trying to find a job in this market, and get an LLM instead. Again, take everything I say with a grain of salt as I don't have any first hand knowledge on the subject.

rnen22

New

Re: Tax LLM Admission Chances

Post by rnen22 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:14 pm

I got into NYU's program a couple of years ago with a Top 50% ranking at a T40. I did have to pay full price. I also got into Georgetown. I talked to a couple of Tax professors at my school and they said my stats were "borderline" for NYU, so I would guess applicants can't go too far lower than that.

Return to “What are my chances?”