Splitter Chances for T20 schools? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ed8793

New

Splitter Chances for T20 schools?

Post by ed8793 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:04 pm

I graduated in 2016 and majored in Psychology. My gpa from that school is a 3.14. However, I transferred from a community college where I did not do as well, which brings my overall GPA to a 2.47. I took the LSAT in January earlier this year with the intent to not apply to any schools unless I received a 175 or higher. I received a 171. I will be taking it again in July and hopefully apply for admissions for the 2021 year. Since graduating, I have been working as a case worker for formerly incarcerated men and women seeking to re-enter the workforce. I have also been very involved in leading and planning local community events which has gotten me recognition from the mayor. To my surprise I applied to a very well known and competitive fellowship and was recently accepted for the 2020-2021 year.

I am hoping that a high LSAT score, my experience, and participation in the fellowship will help set off my GPA for a top 20 school. I am hoping to get into Northwestern, WashU-STL, UVA or UCLA. I know it may be a stretch but I am also planning to apply to Columbia University and University of Chicago. The lower rank schools I plan to apply to are UC Hastings, Loyola Law School (LA), Depaul University, Howard University, and Brooklyn Law School.

What are your thoughts on my chances of getting into these schools.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Splitter Chances for T20 schools?

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:22 am

To be clear, is 2.47 your actual weighted GPA, as LSAC would calculate it? You're right that you're a long shot for most of the T20, excepting WashU, but even there you'll need to improve on your 171 to get their attention.

The non-T20 part of your list makes little sense to me. What kind of lawyer do you want to be, and where (geographically) do you want to practice? For any given answer to those questions you can cross off most or all of those schools.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:52 am

Cosign LSAT Airbender's post above. Also, why do you want to be a lawyer?

Even with a 175, you'd be an extreme splitter and probably still out of contention for the top 3-6 schools. Note that Chicago, UVA, Penn, and certain other schools tend to be pretty picky about GPA and thus not very splitter-friendly. If you decide to go to law school, you should apply broadly among schools ranked ~7 to 20 to maximize options. I'd only apply below that to schools in the city where you want to practice.

commonlaw

New

Post by commonlaw » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:41 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:22 am
To be clear, is 2.47 your actual weighted GPA, as LSAC would calculate it? You're right that you're a long shot for most of the T20, excepting WashU, but even there you'll need to improve on your 171 to get their attention.

The non-T20 part of your list makes little sense to me. What kind of lawyer do you want to be, and where (geographically) do you want to practice? For any given answer to those questions you can cross off most or all of those schools.
I second this. Furthermore, if your aim is to continue to work in public service, I would focus your efforts on lower-ranked schools with LRAP programs in the region you want to practice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”