Low GPA High LSAT Good Resume Good Addendum Odds Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
nukemind

New

Low GPA High LSAT Good Resume Good Addendum Odds

Post by nukemind » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:37 pm

Howdy all!

Just wanted to run these odds by y'all to see my chances.

My dream law school is Columbia- I know that is definitely out of reach. My first year GPA was around a 1.0 due to taking care of a family member. I got one more F due to leaving for a funeral... I was supposed to be dropped from a class but I was not. I have, outside of the first year, 1 C, 4 B's, and 20 A's now- last semester I ended with 4 A+'s, 1 A, and 1 A-. My GPA should be around 3.3 to 3.32 by the time I am applying in October.

I have been taking practice tests, I used the free LSATmax followed by Khan and finally decided on 7Sage. My scores ahve gone up- I average a 165-170, but am taking the LSAT Flex in July and planning on taking one in August too. The Flexes I am at ~167-172 as LR is my weakest converting full scores to flex. I should have a 170-172 by the end of August- 172 was my original goal but I changed it to 170. I have already improved from 154-158 in about three weeks!

My resume is good as well- it sounds silly but I have worked at a fast food joint, a Dollar General, and a call center and in all I moved up to manager, in all I worked 45-50 hours a week (70 in some weeks) while also getting A's. An of course I have every paycheck I ever got... not that it matters. I can show I can balance work and school- though in law school I do not plan on working.

My addendum, essays, etc I am confident in- my mom had cancer, I took care of her, got F's, and then worked full time and did school granting me all A's the rest of my career. Take out the time I was taking care of my mom I would have a 3.8-3.9 with this last semester. I should still graduate Summa cum Laude from my school as I transferred and they only count grades at their own school for latin honors.

My plan is to apply to UT Austin, Duke, Chicago (MAJOR) reach, UVA, and Columbia (MAJOR REACH). I know Chicago Columbia UVA probably would give me no scholarships even if I was accepted. UT Austin... I live in Texas so that's an advantage. SMU is my safety school as it's good for the Dallas market. Ultimate goal is Big Law.

TLDR- low GPA (3.3-3.32 on application day), high LSAT (probably 170-172 by the time I take it. I do admit I could be off but I have improved remarkably and am confident in getting it, especially with a flex), good resume and addendum's and essay, Big Law goal preferably in Texas, live in Texas. UT Austin get's alot of love and I would be delighted to go there, but I will admit it's Big Law+Fed percentages seem alot lower than any other "top" school on the list.

Is there anything I should be focusing on specifically? If I get the great LSAT score is there anywhere else I should apply? What do y'all think my chances are? Sorry for rambling...

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Low GPA High LSAT Good Resume Good Addendum Odds

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:34 pm

Slow down. You need to get an actual LSAT score before you can assess your chances at any given school, and you would be well-served to get some work experience after college in order to build distance from your transcript issues.

Instead of "targeting 170 or 172 or whatever you need to focus on getting your LSAT as high as possible. You'll have significantly better opportunities with a 173 and a 3.31 than with a 169 and a 3.29

nukemind

New

Post by nukemind » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:06 pm

I appreciate it sir. I will... ah I get so excited it's so fun and I excel in all the law classes I am taking! It it truly the most fun subject I have outside of History... which is my major... which has such a weak job market even for those with Masters and more.

nukemind

New

Post by nukemind » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:05 pm

Since this I worked hard. I just got my score back- 172.

I still have all A's and while the transcripts aren't in yet the A+'s continue to roll in... I believe based on my math I am looking at a 3.32-3.34 (a bit better than expected).

Obviously I do still have the addendum...

I am hoping to go to Duke, UVA, NYU, Columbia (reach for sure lol), UT of course (in state)... and any others recommended.

Goal is Big Law- preferably either in Texas or in an office in another country. I want to keep costs down, eventually move to Germany in my old age.

7 Sage says I have about a 10% shot at Harvard... but I am not an optimist. I would love to be proved wrong of course! What do you think about the others? Are any truly in reach with my abysmal GPA?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”