Below average international/175 LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
oxglxy

New

Below average international/175 LSAT

Post by oxglxy » Fri May 22, 2020 12:12 pm

Hi,

I've read that for international students we're assigned one of four evaluations and that it's solely based on our undergraduate performance. What are my chances at a T1 school?

I did abysmally in my undergrad degree (failed almost every course, almost excluded from university, undiagnosed mental illnesses) although eventually managed to graduate in 2015. Undoubtedly a below average.

After undergrad, I worked for 3 years in media/advertising and am currently enrolled in a Masters of Economics. I'm in my penultimate semester and have done well throughout the course (high distinction average which would probably be a superior).

I'll probably go into the public service, but can't help but be interested in law after my time in media. In particular, I'm interested in cyber law and Australia isn't exactly a pioneer in this area, which is why I'm even thinking about US law schools. I studied for my LSATs when I went back to uni and managed to get a 175.

Curious to get some honest feedback about whether this is an avenue worth exploring.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Below average international/175 LSAT

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Fri May 22, 2020 6:54 pm

You can probably get a T1 with 175/BA (in fact that's a rather desirable stat line for some schools) but I don't see how an American J.D., which is terrifically expensive, would further your career goals enough to be worth it. Do you have a concrete, specific career goal in mind?

The best way to get into cybersecurity/cyberlaw is probably to get really good at the "cyber" part: IT certifications for private industry or a terminal computer-science degree for policy/academia.

oxglxy

New

Post by oxglxy » Mon May 25, 2020 8:10 am

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:54 pm
You can probably get a T1 with 175/BA (in fact that's a rather desirable stat line for some schools) but I don't see how an American J.D., which is terrifically expensive, would further your career goals enough to be worth it. Do you have a concrete, specific career goal in mind?

The best way to get into cybersecurity/cyberlaw is probably to get really good at the "cyber" part: IT certifications for private industry or a terminal computer-science degree for policy/academia.
Maybe cyberlaw is a misnomer. I'm not so much interested in the practicalities of the 'cyber' part as I am the issues involved with regulating and adjudicating what happens online.

At this stage, I'd be interested in eventually ending up at the EFF or in corporate law in a firm's technology/media/telco practice or in IP.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Mon May 25, 2020 10:04 am

Are you American? I had an international transcript. The schools won't really look at it, even if you get a below average evaluation, it doesn't count against them. Some schools might be a bit put off and deny you, so apply broadly, but your transcript won't effect them in the rankings. Your LSAT score is going to be vital. Apply broadly, especially at schools that care a lot about LSAT score. Don't sell yourself short, apply to the T14- I think you'd qualify for a nice scholarship at a place like WashU or Emory.
Again though, your goals may not align with getting an American JD- and to echo what was said before, American JDs are pretty darn expensive.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon May 25, 2020 10:47 am

oxglxy wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:10 am
The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:54 pm

Maybe cyberlaw is a misnomer. I'm not so much interested in the practicalities of the 'cyber' part as I am the issues involved with regulating and adjudicating what happens online.

At this stage, I'd be interested in eventually ending up at the EFF or in corporate law in a firm's technology/media/telco practice or in IP.
This is a common POV for 0Ls. They want to make a difference in the world and assume that the best way to do so with a law degree is to get into "policy work", sitting in a government or nonprofit office somewhere in the suburbs of Washington, DC and formulating edicts. Those jobs don't really exist.* The rules are mostly made by legislators and (to a lesser extent) judges, in both the US and Australia. If you make a $200k investment in becoming a lawyer, you need to be prepared for a career of actual legal work.

I'm not trying to cut you down here, but it's important to be realistic about the opportunities out there because it will inform your law-school decision:

- The EFF probably hires less than one attorney a year on average and, even if you went to Yale Law, you'd not be an appealing applicant with no tech background and needing visa sponsorship.
- Biglaw "technology/media/telco practice" doesn't exist. There are firms who work a lot with those industries, but it's still biglaw work: M&A, for tech clients. Tax advisory, for media clients. Cap markets, for telco clients. Etc.
- IP is pretty far from what it sounds like you want to do and you're again at a disadvantage without a STEM degree. Like the previous bullet, it's biglaw. Go read threads about biglaw on this website and make sure that's really what you want.

* the think-tank thing exists but you don't get paid a ton, you usually spend your day writing white papers that nobody will read, and it's fiercely competitive if you're not a conservative true believer

Dolna Ray

New

Post by Dolna Ray » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:42 am

OP as someone who is pretty much similar situation (although I had no fail degrees it still was classified as BA) , I would advise you not to apply this cycle as its terribly competitive. I didn't despite having 175+ LSAT.
The number of law school application and 170+ scores seem to have gone through the roof on 2020 -21.
If and when you apply target the T 50 -100 schools.
All the best OP. I really wanna talk to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”