School List Help Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
user69

New

Where to apply, and what to aim for.

Post by user69 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:23 pm

Hello! Finally got an LSAT score im pretty happy with, so it's time to get serious about applying.

stats: [3.6-3.7] LSAC [Redacted] major. [168-170] LSAT. NON urm. NON first gen college student.

softs: [Redacted]

what I want to do: Ideally be a public defender in a major metro (LA, ideally) or really anything that will get me in the court room early and often. Criminal work appeals to me. As does civil liberties work.

thoughts on debt: I dont want any. Even w/ LRAP i dont want to be locked into anything for 10 years or whatever, but maybe I need to take a closer look at that.

What I want from y'all:

1. Where to apply?
2. What I should hope for?
3. Really anything in general that you think would be helpful to know.

Thanks !
Last edited by QContinuum on Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Redacted at poster's request.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Where to apply, and what to aim for.

Post by trebekismyhero » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:18 pm

If you really want to be a PD in LA and limit debt, then I'd say USC. Your numbers should get you a lot of money from them. I'd also apply to UCI and UCLA. Might as well apply to the lower t14 since you should get into at least a couple and see if you luck out with scholarships and/or merit aid

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:03 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:If you really want to be a PD in LA and limit debt, then I'd say USC. Your numbers should get you a lot of money from them. I'd also apply to UCI and UCLA. Might as well apply to the lower t14 since you should get into at least a couple and see if you luck out with scholarships and/or merit aid
Agree, and in particular I'd definitely give Berkeley a look.

user69

New

Post by user69 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:47 pm

How do I edit my original post? I'd like to preserve some anonymity. Thanks.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:52 pm

user69 wrote:How do I edit my original post? I'd like to preserve some anonymity. Thanks.
People around here aren't trusted to edit their posts because of some vandalism in the past. Just PM a mod and they should be able to help you out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

user69

New

Post by user69 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:58 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
user69 wrote:How do I edit my original post? I'd like to preserve some anonymity. Thanks.
People around here aren't trusted to edit their posts because of some vandalism in the past. Just PM a mod and they should be able to help you out.
Apologies, but where can I find a list of mods?

Thanks.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:41 pm

user69 wrote:
The Lsat Airbender wrote:People around here aren't trusted to edit their posts because of some vandalism in the past. Just PM a mod and they should be able to help you out.
Apologies, but where can I find a list of mods?

Thanks.
Per your request (since I happened to spot your posts above), I've redacted the potentially identifying info in your post. You can find a list of mods at http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/m ... up&g=13138

user69

New

School List Help

Post by user69 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:33 pm

Stats: 170, gpa 3.7>my gpa > 3.65 , 4 years verryyyy good WE in the non-leagal world, 2 years volunteer work.

Reaches:

Columbia, NYU, Berkeley.

Targets:

Mich, UVA, Duke, Northwestern, Georgetown, UT, UCLA, Vandy, USC

Safeties:

UCI, Fordham, University of Washington (Seattle)

Should I add / should I subtract? Do i have anything wrong?

Thanks!

albanach

Gold

Re: School List Help

Post by albanach » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:47 pm

Where do you want to work? You have safeties in California, Washington and NY. That makes little sense when there are by and large regionally placing schools. That might be more so for Washington where a lack of ties could be more problematic than in CA or NY. Your targets are weighted towards CA - if that's where you want to end up, do you really think Fordham would be a good fit for you? Or Vandy?

I'm not even sure your numbers require these safeties unless you're trying to avoid debt. And, if that were the case, I'd suggest getting an extra one or two points on the LSAT by retaking, as that's going to be easier than the extra burden of getting a good outcome from a lower ranked school potentially during or in the aftermath of a recession.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dvlthndr

Bronze

Post by dvlthndr » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:57 pm

Your numbers make you "viable" across most of the T14. You can probably leave off HYS if you want to save a few dollars and a little time in the application process, but you should consider applying across the board.

Unless you are limiting yourself geographically for some reason, it looks like a weird hodgepodge of places you have chosen to apply to. For example, it is unclear why you wouldn't apply to Penn or Cornell.

The idea of "reach" and "safety" doesn't make as much sense in the Law School context. You should go to the best school you get into given your finances and career goals. Usually this will mean taking a sizable scholarship at a lower ranked school, or paying up to go to a more "prestigious" school. You might have some reason for the "safety" schools you listed, but I would question going to any of those schools without something close to a full scholarship.

user69

New

Post by user69 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:08 pm

albanach wrote:Where do you want to work? You have safeties in California, Washington and NY. That makes little sense when there are by and large regionally placing schools. That might be more so for Washington where a lack of ties could be more problematic than in CA or NY. Your targets are weighted towards CA - if that's where you want to end up, do you really think Fordham would be a good fit for you? Or Vandy?

I'm not even sure your numbers require these safeties unless you're trying to avoid debt. And, if that were the case, I'd suggest getting an extra one or two points on the LSAT by retaking, as that's going to be easier than the extra burden of getting a good outcome from a lower ranked school potentially during or in the aftermath of a recession.

Sadly can't retake. I suppose I could nix Vandy. I'd be down to live in the south for a few years, and I hear you can get back to NYC. Although, maybe that is just for big law? I have no interest in big law. Me and my GF both have ties to socal, NYC, and WA thus the safties and would be happy these places. They do look odd at a glance though. Hopefully this helps. I also am trying to reduce debt.
Last edited by user69 on Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

user69

New

Post by user69 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:09 pm

dvlthndr wrote:Your numbers make you "viable" across most of the T14. You can probably leave off HYS if you want to save a few dollars and a little time in the application process, but you should consider applying across the board.

Unless you are limiting yourself geographically for some reason, it looks like a weird hodgepodge of places you have chosen to apply to. For example, it is unclear why you wouldn't apply to Penn or Cornell.

The idea of "reach" and "safety" doesn't make as much sense in the Law School context. You should go to the best school you get into given your finances and career goals. Usually this will mean taking a sizable scholarship at a lower ranked school, or paying up to go to a more "prestigious" school. You might have some reason for the "safety" schools you listed, but I would question going to any of those schools without something close to a full scholarship.
Interesting. Do you think I should include them? I would not want to really live in Ithaca. Penn according to myLSN seems like I have no shot and im not super hot on Philly, so why apply? Thanks!

dvlthndr

Bronze

Post by dvlthndr » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:14 pm

The Penn numbers are as follows:
Penn GPA: 25% - 3.52 50% - 3.89 75% - 3.95
Penn LSAT: 25% - 163 50% - 169 75% - 170

You would be a classic splitter for Penn. Above the 25% for GPA, and at the 75% for LSAT. Plenty of people get into Penn with worse numbers (take myLSN with a grain of salt, but you could confirm this by sticking in 3.5/170 and checking). You still have a shot -- and I would encourage you to apply to everything from Harvard down. Maybe you will only get in on a fluke... but it's not unheard of.

Getting to the real issue, it is fine to limit yourself geographically. Just be aware that is what you are doing. Some people may disagree, but my opinion is that law-school is a relatively short term commitment, and the location shouldn't matter too much. After all, you should be too busy to really enjoy the surrounding city. The exception is if you want to work in a certain secondary market, and you were looking at more "regional" schools.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:26 pm

user69 wrote: Interesting. Do you think I should include them? I would not want to really live in Ithaca. Penn according to myLSN seems like I have no shot and im not super hot on Philly, so why apply? Thanks!
How much don't you want to live there? Say there best school you're accepted to is a peer school, but Cornell offers $20k more scholarship dollars? Would you live there for $7k/year for three years?

If the answer is yes you would attend, then you should be applying.

user69

New

Post by user69 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:43 pm

dvlthndr wrote:The Penn numbers are as follows:
Penn GPA: 25% - 3.52 50% - 3.89 75% - 3.95
Penn LSAT: 25% - 163 50% - 169 75% - 170

You would be a classic splitter for Penn. Above the 25% for GPA, and at the 75% for LSAT. Plenty of people get into Penn with worse numbers (take myLSN with a grain of salt, but you could confirm this by sticking in 3.5/170 and checking). You still have a shot -- and I would encourage you to apply to everything from Harvard down. Maybe you will only get in on a fluke... but it's not unheard of.

Getting to the real issue, it is fine to limit yourself geographically. Just be aware that is what you are doing. Some people may disagree, but my opinion is that law-school is a relatively short term commitment, and the location shouldn't matter too much. After all, you should be too busy to really enjoy the surrounding city. The exception is if you want to work in a certain secondary market, and you were looking at more "regional" schools.
o snap -- i do have a shot lol. I shall apply. Seeing as I used to work like 60 hours a week and had plenty of time to be out n about I'd like to be somewhere cool. But that seems worth the app. Thanks G!

exdeanrod

New

Post by exdeanrod » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:07 pm

You should be able to get into a t13. I would apply broadly though, including places like WashU so you can use them as scholarship leverage.

exdeanrod

New

Post by exdeanrod » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:11 pm

You will probably get into a t13 law school and maybe even with a solid scholarship. I'd apply broadly and include schools like WashU that will give you huge scholarships. Since you want to practice in LA, UCLA and USC with big scholarships would be a nice option and it's definitely a possibility.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:12 pm

You said you didn't want to do biglaw earlier, but you never said what you actually want to do. So what are you actually shooting for here?

As others have said, you need to remove the concept of "safety schools" from your approach to admissions. There are schools that will get you where you want to go and schools that won't. The main factors after you figure that out are location (not location of the school--where you want to actually live) and price.

user69

New

Post by user69 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:25 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:You said you didn't want to do biglaw earlier, but you never said what you actually want to do. So what are you actually shooting for here?

As others have said, you need to remove the concept of "safety schools" from your approach to admissions. There are schools that will get you where you want to go and schools that won't. The main factors after you figure that out are location (not location of the school--where you want to actually live) and price.
Gotcha. Ideally a public defender in a major metro. Or, potentially, do some sort of tech law advocacy (like privacy laws etc...). Ideally I'd see the inside of a courtroom asap but life is long and its possible law school causes a change of heart. Or, lets say my parents get ill and I need to make money to care for them etc... I'd like to live in LA Ideally. I could make NYC or WA work as well. Chi / DC I could potentially also swing.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:28 am

user69 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:You said you didn't want to do biglaw earlier, but you never said what you actually want to do. So what are you actually shooting for here?

Gotcha. Ideally a public defender in a major metro. Or, potentially, do some sort of tech law advocacy (like privacy laws etc...). Ideally I'd see the inside of a courtroom asap but life is long and its possible law school causes a change of heart. Or, lets say my parents get ill and I need to make money to care for them etc... I'd like to live in LA Ideally. I could make NYC or WA work as well. Chi / DC I could potentially also swing.
Based on that answer, I'm going to say that you want to be flexible. So I'd shoot for a T13 (or UCLA/USC with a hefty scholarship). I wouldn't be considering Vanderbilt, UT, Fordham, or UCI, because you're aiming for pretty competitive positions.

That said, it sounds like you could stand to learn a little more about how legal employment works. You have a diverse array of interests (which is fine), but you also mention wanting to have the flexibility to drop everything and make money for some unforeseen emergency (i.e. parents getting ill). Legal salaries for recent grads are bimodal: you'll generally either start out making $45-60k or $190k. And although transferring from public interest to private practice is possible, just be aware that you usually are not going to be able to jump from your $60k (hopefully) public interest salary to a sweet six-figure private practice job at the drop of a hat. So if you want to earn lots and lots of money, you may want to open yourself up to the possibility of biglaw.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”