What are my chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
FergusonKid1020

New

What are my chances?

Post by FergusonKid1020 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:54 pm

The first LSAT I took was in the summer of 2018 and I scored a 142. I hadn't studied much prior due to an internship I had at a Top Chambers firm of which I was inevitably hired on to the following fall to assist the Department of Accounts Payable. I left this firm in the last semester of undergrad to intern in the United States Senate before returning to Chicago to graduate May 11, 2019. I have recently relocated to Maryland to work as a legal assistant at a small firm before applying for the August 2020 cycle and I just wanted to know if my resume strengthens my odds of gaining admission to a T-14 law school?

A few other factors are:

I don't know many students applying to law school from Ferguson, Missouri. I only mentioned Ferguson because I was a part of the voluntary efforts that helped repair the community after the 2015 riots surrounding the incident involving Michael Brown.

I am currently anticipating the Nov. 25th LSAT so I am on a 18 week plan that involves studying 20 hours a week for 5 days a week. The weekends within the 18 week period will include working on my personal statements and my diversity statements.

I am currently writing a book that talks about my adolescence growing up in the most dangerous ward in St.Louis, near death experiences and the passing of my older brother that led to my aspirations to pursue a law degree as well as how Ferguson and the US Senate empowered me to aspire to make a difference and not a living.

My premise behind this extensive post is to ask those who are experienced with the LSAT as well as the admission process how feasible is it to gain admission to a T-14 school given my 18 week plan, my personal story and resume considering a majority of schools prefer a well rounded individual?

nixy

Gold

Re: What are my chances?

Post by nixy » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:18 pm

What is your GPA? And are you African American? Your softs sound good, but your GPA and LSAT will be the primary determinants of where you get in (and whether you’re AA will help determine what scores you need).

FergusonKid1020

New

Post by FergusonKid1020 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:59 pm

nixy wrote:What is your GPA? And are you African American? Your softs sound good, but your GPA and LSAT will be the primary determinants of where you get in (and whether you’re AA will help determine what scores you need).
Thank you for responding and yes, I am an African American. I graduated with honors but my GPA is a 3.3 at the moment. I only graduated with honors as a result of my GPA remaining a 3.5 or above my final two years. I attended a Catholic Institution. ( I just want to provide you with as much background as possible.) Thank you once again for responding.

Lawman1865

Bronze

Post by Lawman1865 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:59 pm

You've taken a single LSAT and it was a 142. With all due respect, your goal should be going as hard as possible to get that score above at least 165+ if you want a shot at a T14, no amount of softs will help if you get a 162. The two most important things that will determine your admission is 1) LSAT score and 2) GPA.

Your softs are very good, but again, it is mostly a numbers game. The fact that you're writing a book about growing up in St. Louis would likely go into your personal statement, and that may help, but plenty of people have good stories to tell over 2 pages. The point is, assuming you have a decent GPA, considering your professional background, you're in a good position, but the most important thing to focus on is the LSAT. I would suggest signing up for a prep course (powerscore, etc.) since they have good results. Otherwise yes, put in the hours and take lots of PE's.

Good luck

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:30 am

It sounds like you're relying heavily on your softs to get you in. And you do have good softs. But they aren't going to overcome a sub-160 LSAT at top schools. The LSAT should be your sole focus if you want to get into a top school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FergusonKid1020

New

Post by FergusonKid1020 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:53 am

cavalier1138 wrote:It sounds like you're relying heavily on your softs to get you in. And you do have good softs. But they aren't going to overcome a sub-160 LSAT at top schools. The LSAT should be your sole focus if you want to get into a top school.

What score do you think would be considered a safe haven given my softs?

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:25 am

FergusonKid1020 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:It sounds like you're relying heavily on your softs to get you in. And you do have good softs. But they aren't going to overcome a sub-160 LSAT at top schools. The LSAT should be your sole focus if you want to get into a top school.

What score do you think would be considered a safe haven given my softs?
Like actual guaranteed T-14 admission? 169/URM should be a lock to get in somewhere, probably with money. Mid-160's is where you can start to feel pretty good about your chances. Your softs are legitimately interesting but your GPA is weak so I wouldn't count on overperforming your LSAT.

But you're looking into the tunnel from the wrong end - I'd focus on doing as well as possible and then you can assess your options.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:52 pm

Lawman1865 wrote:You've taken a single LSAT and it was a 142. With all due respect, your goal should be going as hard as possible to get that score above at least 165+ if you want a shot at a T14, no amount of softs will help if you get a 162. The two most important things that will determine your admission is 1) LSAT score and 2) GPA.
I think OP has a reasonable shot at the T14 with $$$ below a 165. Indeed MyLSN shows some success for AA URMs at that 162 level.

That said, a higher LSAT can only help and nothing is assured, particularly in the low 160s. So, while I think you underestimate the URM boost OP will get, I agree that getting the LSAT into the high 160s should ultimately be the goal. I'd just say that if they miss that target, it's probably worth getting applications out as quickly as possible after that LSAT score comes in, while being prepares to sit out a cycle if that's required to get the LSAT score they need.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”