International Student GPA Above average/170, T14 chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
yvettebread

New

International Student GPA Above average/170, T14 chances?

Post by yvettebread » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:12 am

Graduated in 2014 with LLM from lower T14 and passed NY Bar.
LSAC international education evaluation "Above Average".
Having been working as a lawyer outside US since 2014.

Working full time as a lawyer with monthly billable hours of 200 and at the same time preparing for the LSAT is killing me.

Hope to attend a T14 and ideally T6. Much appreciate it if can get some help regarding my chances on the basis of the current numbers.

(Still hesitate whether to take the October test, though law firm always get extremely stressed out in September and October. :(

Thanks to all who could help :D

QContinuum

Re: International Student GPA Above average/170, T14 chances?

Post by QContinuum » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:11 pm

I'm very confused. It sounds like you're already admitted to the NY bar as a practicing lawyer. You're working at a law firm. You even have a T14 degree already. Why would you want to go back and get a J.D.?

Also, do you already have a 170 or is the 170 a predicted/hoped-for score?

yvettebread

New

Post by yvettebread » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:41 pm

QContinuum wrote:I'm very confused. It sounds like you're already admitted to the NY bar as a practicing lawyer. You're working at a law firm. You even have a T14 degree already. Why would you want to go back and get a J.D.?

Also, do you already have a 170 or is the 170 a predicted/hoped-for score?
Hi! Sorry if I caused any confusion. I am an international students so I enrolled in a lower T14 LLM 5 years ago and admitted to NY Bar in 2016. I am currently working at a law firm outside US. J.D is door to more practice area and global pay... to be honest...

I already have a 170, but hesitate whether to sit for the October test cuz working while preparing for the test really stresses me out...

Thank you very much for the reply and much appreciate it on any analysis on my chances to T14/T6. :D

icansortofmath

Bronze

Post by icansortofmath » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:29 am

I can tell you some JD students were in the same situation as you and they did really well but also a lot who never did JD and just leveraged their "international legal consultant", or whatever the office calls the international associates, positions to become a first year associate in a few years.

A lot (maybe majority?) of the latter group first transferred to HK (most common for Chinese) or UK (everyone, Chinese included) before making their way to US. You definitely have to hustle.

And yes, you should try to improve the 170. Every point between 170 and 176 matters.

yvettebread

New

Post by yvettebread » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:09 am

icansortofmath wrote:I can tell you some JD students were in the same situation as you and they did really well but also a lot who never did JD and just leveraged their "international legal consultant", or whatever the office calls the international associates, positions to become a first year associate in a few years.

A lot (maybe majority?) of the latter group first transferred to HK (most common for Chinese) or UK (everyone, Chinese included) before making their way to US. You definitely have to hustle.

And yes, you should try to improve the 170. Every point between 170 and 176 matters.
Thank you for introducing the career path for people like me... I actually have tried to transfer to HK but nowadays JD holders are quite common in HK and most of the time LLM holders are often the last choice when there is no suitable JD holders...

Thank you so much!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”