3.70 / 167 - Chances at T14? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lsatstrides12

New

3.70 / 167 - Chances at T14?

Post by lsatstrides12 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:20 pm

I graduated in 2016 with a 3.70 GPA and have three years of engaging legal experience. Strong softs, I think! I scored a 159 on my first LSAT in March 2019 (below practice performance) and raised it to a 167 for the June test. I hope to attend a T14 school and plan to ED to Columbia. What do you think my chances are with my current numbers?

(It's pretty clear that I should re-take and aim for a 170(+) to be a strong candidate in general and for Columbia Law--opens many more doors, $$, etc. However, I'm hesitant to take the September test because of the new digital format... TBD :cry:)

beinghuman

Re: 3.70 / 167 - Chances at T14?

Post by beinghuman » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:47 pm

I'm afraid that with those stats admission at a T-14 will by very difficult.
167 is a respectable score but it is not enough to overcome your GPA. I do think you should aim for 170+ to have a good chance at t14 schools.
lsatstrides12 wrote:I graduated in 2016 with a 3.70 GPA and have three years of engaging legal experience. Strong softs, I think! I scored a 159 on my first LSAT in March 2019 (below practice performance) and raised it to a 167 for the June test. I hope to attend a T14 school and plan to ED to Columbia. What do you think my chances are with my current numbers?

(It's pretty clear that I should re-take and aim for a 170(+) to be a strong candidate in general and for Columbia Law--opens many more doors, $$, etc. However, I'm hesitant to take the September test because of the new digital format... TBD :cry:)

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:47 pm

lsatstrides12 wrote:I graduated in 2016 with a 3.70 GPA and have three years of engaging legal experience. Strong softs, I think! I scored a 159 on my first LSAT in March 2019 (below practice performance) and raised it to a 167 for the June test. I hope to attend a T14 school and plan to ED to Columbia. What do you think my chances are with my current numbers?

There's no real downside in retaking as schools really just look at the highest score. You're unlikely to get into Columbia with those numbers, even by EDing. As is, you're about 50-50 of snagging a t-14 altogether.

Congrats on the 8 point improvement though. That's huge. If you're debt adverse, I'd focus on getting a lot of money to non-t-14 schools in the region you want to practice. If you're big on the t-14, you should definitely retake. You won't be much worse off with a 164 on the retake, and you'd be much better off with a 171.

Lawman1865

Bronze

Post by Lawman1865 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:14 pm

You have a very strong resume and a 167 is a good score, but Columbia is not an easy school to get into and 167 will definitely be on the low side for them. As another poster said, if you really really want to be in the T14 you can probably get into lower schools with some hefty debt attached. Likely a good shot at GT, Michigan, Cornell, Northwestern, and potentially Penn. The 3 years of legal experience can end up potentially beating out other candidates who are in the 165-169 range, so there's still definitely a shot at NYU/Columbia. But the difference between 167 and 169-70 can be surprisingly important to the top schools.

You can apply broadly and see what happens. I would suggest studying a bit more and taking a 3rd time, can't really hurt and even a 168 can be the difference to an admission decision. As lsatwiz said though, I wouldn't count out going to a school like Fordham, where you can be in a good program in NYC and get some likely strong scholarship dollars from. They place pretty well and if you can finish 1L strong then you'll be a good position career-wise plus not have 150-200k+ in loans.

Good luck whatever you decide!

lsatstrides12

New

Post by lsatstrides12 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:10 am

The thought of preparing for the digital exam was weighing down on me, but getting everyone's feedback was a good reminder to re-focus on my goal and aim high (and land a little short, perhaps). Will definitely consider applying to lower tier schools and setting a wide net.

Thanks for the input everyone! Now off to buy a tablet and return to the study grind.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”