URM with Military Service 2.9 GPA 155-164 Proj. LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ccastillo95

New

URM with Military Service 2.9 GPA 155-164 Proj. LSAT

Post by ccastillo95 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:15 pm

I am a Mexican-American with 6 years of service in the United States Air Force Reserves.I am a double-major in Political Science and History. I have a sub-average GPA (2.9), but I have received LOR's from 3 professors, 1 Colonel, and a judge that I have worked for. My LSAT practice scores have been between 155-164. I just recently took the LSAT and await my scores.With my projected LSAT scores, what are my chances of getting into a Top 50 Law school? If so, which ones should I look at applying towards. Thank you all.

Platopus

Gold

Re: URM with Military Service 2.9 GPA 155-164 Proj. LSAT

Post by Platopus » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:26 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:05 pm

Hey, platopus most likely can give you good stats and hard data on that (he's pretty on point with his info) but I can at least offer you my experience since I'm also a URM in the USAF Reserves. I've got a 3.2/162 and pretty unique softs/PS and a good DS.

Granted I think when you're coming from our kind of numbers your gonna be borderline so it can be hit or miss and your softs along with your actual LSAT score, once you take it, will factor in quite a bit along with local ties and school specific needs but I've done pretty well so far in the T-50. My profile on LSN is more complete if your super curious. But if you sell your experiences in a unique way and score in the higher end of your PT's I'm sure you can manage pretty well. Good luck in your cycle!

ccastillo95

New

Post by ccastillo95 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:30 am

My top school choices would be in Tulane, Baylor, Belmont, LSU, Arkansas, Florida State, Alabama, and Penn State. Any insight on whether applying to any of these schools would be worth it.

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:31 am

ccastillo95 wrote:My top school choices would be in Tulane, Baylor, Belmont, LSU, Arkansas, Florida State, Alabama, and Penn State. Any insight on whether applying to any of these schools would be worth it.
You need answers to the questions you were asked earlier in order for people to help you with that:
Platopus wrote:Where do you want to live for at least the first 10 years after law school?

What type of law? What are your career goals?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ccastillo95

New

Post by ccastillo95 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:51 am

Fair enough. Entertainment and sports Law has my interest. I would love to be a sports agent, but any civil law that contains contracts would suffice.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:45 am

ccastillo95 wrote:Fair enough. Entertainment and sports Law has my interest. I would love to be a sports agent, but any civil law that contains contracts would suffice.
Entertainment/sports law barely exist, and they are extremely unlikely outcomes from your listed schools. You also don't need a JD to be a sports agent.

From this post (something w/ contracts), it sounds like you aren't as interested in practicing law as you are in the business side of things. Would that be an accurate statement?

Cmoney $$

New

Post by Cmoney $$ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:22 am

ccastillo95 wrote:My top school choices would be in Tulane, Baylor, Belmont, LSU, Arkansas, Florida State, Alabama, and Penn State. Any insight on whether applying to any of these schools would be worth it.
Fwiw, you should take a look at Baylor's yellow ribbon policy if you're planning on using GI Bill benefits. I have lived in Texas before and considered it, until I noticed their lack of a yellow ribbon program for grad school. With full post 9/11 benefits, I would've still come out about 100k in debt. I had to eliminate Baylor because of this considering there are way too many schools that I could attend for free regardless of scholarship money.

That being said, I know the reserve doesn't offer the same GI Bill benefits as Active Duty so this may not be a factor for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”