Rank my softs, please! (3.85/161) Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Nobody_Knows

New

Rank my softs, please! (3.85/161)

Post by Nobody_Knows » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:42 pm

I'd like to know where I stand in relation to other applicants with the same stats, as I applied to a few reaches, and I'm a reverse splitter at a lot of schools (161/3.85), so my cycle is very unpredictable. I made this throw-away so that I could reveal personal information without feeling... vulnerable?

Rank my softs, please! I'd appreciate a 0-10 scale in which 0= "if you had any chance at not getting into a school with your numbers, you're out," and 10="if you had any chance at getting into a school with your numbers, you're in."

Me: Non-URM (white), LGBTQ, female. I've got a moderate visual disability (classified as low vision) which has become progressively worse during high school and college.

Experience: K-JD, but I've done lots of political and social justice work during UG (major leadership roles in political campaigns and organizations), lots of student org work (2 minor leadership roles, 2 presidencies (founded one), and one regional director position), and an internship with my city's municipal court.

UG Education: I am a double major (Political Science and Philosophy) and double minor (Classical Studies and Legal Studies) with Pre-Law preparation for 4 years with a full ride+ at a decent, southern state school for UG. I am currently doing undergraduate research for my law-related honors thesis, which I earned the Student Undergraduate Research Fellowship for and will present at a conference in March. I'm a member of a couple honors societies. I should graduate magna cum laude pending the successful defense of the thesis.

Materials: I have presumably great LoRs (one from my research adviser/pre-law adviser, one from a professor with JD from Yale who loved me and had me for several classes, one from another professor who loved me, and one from supervisor in my most recent political campaign) as they got me the research fellowship. My PS is on dealing with the onset of my visual disability and how it and my social justice work led me to my career choice, and I have received great feedback on it from the schools that I've heard back from. I didn't submit any extra materials unless they were required, but I'm regretting that now. I had to wait for the Dec LSAT to come in, so I submitted early/mid January.

Don't hold back. There's a reason that I made a throw-away account for this. I'd be happy to give any more detail that you think is necessary or that I may have forgotten. Thank you so much for your help!

Edit because I know that it'll come up: I am considering a retake, but my visual disability complicates all of this. I'll know if I can improve my score in about a month based on how my eyes respond to a potential fix. Until then, I'm acting as if I won't be able to improve it.
Last edited by Nobody_Knows on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runinthefront

Gold

Re: Rank my softs, please! (3.85/161)

Post by runinthefront » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:48 pm

4-5.

Your softs are average, and you're unlikely to outperform your numbers. Most people with 3.8+ GPAs graduate magna cum laude, have scholarships, wrote research papers etc...so it's hard to separate those things from your actual numerical GPA.

That being said, your softs won't hurt your cycle either, considering you're K-JD with no fulltime work experience. You're much better off than someone who spent all four years in the library and/or clubbing in lieu of being active in extracurriculars.

Youve also done well in spite of a severe vision inpairment, and it sounds like you'd be able to write a dope personal statement, which is great and may move the needle slightly on the margins. But probably not much. Good luck!
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nobody_Knows

New

Post by Nobody_Knows » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:50 pm

runinthefront wrote:4-5.

Your softs are average, and you're unlikely to outperform your numbers. Most people with 3.8+ GPAs graduate magna cum laude, have scholarships, wrote research papers etc...so it's hard to separate those things from your actual numerical GPA.

That being said, your softs won't hurt your cycle either, considering you're K-JD with no fulltime work experience. You're much better off than someone who spent all four years in the library and/or clubbing in lieu of being active in extracurriculars.
Thank you!

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:51 pm

Are you able to get accommodations for the LSAT? Why does your vision impairment pose an impediment to retaking?
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:56 pm

I mean softs are all pretty relative to the schools you're applying to - if you're applying to 'good' state/regional schools, you'll probably get into a number of them and there your softs would be perfectly average (in my opinion).

If you were applying to T14 or other schools outside of your LSAT range, I doubt you'll have much luck unless your PS is absolutely the bomb and/or your LoRs are fantastic. In the higher end super-regional/T14 schools, these would be pretty sub-par softs, as a large chunk of people in that range are not KJD and from that perspective have a lot more life under their belt to pull softs from.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nobody_Knows

New

Post by Nobody_Knows » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:02 am

runinthefront wrote:Are you able to get accommodations for the LSAT? Why does your vision impairment pose an impediment to retaking?
My visual impairment causes a number of distortions, one of which causes me to see two copies of text- one over the other, known as "ghosting." My doctor missed the deadline to send in his rec for the September LSAT (and I was only officially diagnosed in June because it's super rare and my previous doc couldn't figure out what was wrong), so I had to sign up for December. I asked for and was granted a large print version, but their large print version just made a huge booklet rather than a regular sized booklet with more pages. I couldn't see the edges of the booklet at all, causing me to under-perform my PT average by 9 points. I've had surgeries on each of my eyes to (hopefully) prevent further progression (one in Oct and one in Dec). I have a consult on Monday with another doc who is supposed to determine if I am a good candidate for a type of hard contact lens that has been known to provide almost normal sight for people with my issue. If that works, I should be able to take the June LSAT and improve my score. If not, I'm not going to be able to see the edges of the giant booklet any better than I did in December.

Nobody_Knows

New

Post by Nobody_Knows » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:04 am

mrgstephe wrote:I mean softs are all pretty relative to the schools you're applying to - if you're applying to 'good' state/regional schools, you'll probably get into a number of them and there your softs would be perfectly average (in my opinion).

If you were applying to T14 or other schools outside of your LSAT range, I doubt you'll have much luck unless your PS is absolutely the bomb and/or your LoRs are fantastic. In the higher end super-regional/T14 schools, these would be pretty sub-par softs, as a large chunk of people in that range are not KJD and from that perspective have a lot more life under their belt to pull softs from.
I applied all over the place because I didn't know what to expect. Thank you!

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:05 am

Nobody_Knows wrote:
runinthefront wrote:Are you able to get accommodations for the LSAT? Why does your vision impairment pose an impediment to retaking?
My visual impairment causes a number of distortions, one of which causes me to see two copies of text- one over the other, known as "ghosting." My doctor missed the deadline to send in his rec for the September LSAT (and I was only officially diagnosed in June because it's super rare and my previous doc couldn't figure out what was wrong), so I had to sign up for December. I asked for and was granted a large print version, but their large print version just made a huge booklet rather than a regular sized booklet with more pages. I couldn't see the edges of the booklet at all, causing me to under-perform my PT average by 9 points. I've had surgeries on each of my eyes to (hopefully) prevent further progression (one in Oct and one in Dec). I have a consult on Monday with another doc who is supposed to determine if I am a good candidate for a type of hard contact lens that has been known to provide almost normal sight for people with my issue. If that works, I should be able to take the June LSAT and improve my score. If not, I'm not going to be able to see the edges of the giant booklet any better than I did in December.
That sucks. Have you tried asking for the alternative? It sounds reasonable to me. I don't see why they would be unwilling to do that. You should try!

And even if you don't see any better, I don't know why that would mean you wouldn't be able to score any better, unless you were scoring 180s with a regular booklet with more pages vs a large booklet. Isn't there still room to improve, notwithstanding the visual hurdle.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nobody_Knows

New

Post by Nobody_Knows » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:11 am

runinthefront wrote:
Nobody_Knows wrote:
That sucks. Have you tried asking for the alternative? It sounds reasonable to me.

They just have the one version of the large print booklet, unfortunately. It's 18 point font and requires a table because it won't fit on desks. Why the LSAC thinks that this is helpful, I do not know. I could request a time extension (to allow me to bend every-which-way to see the booklet), but the LSAC puts a flag on scores with time extensions, so I'm wary of that. I also have no idea if the request would be granted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:19 am

Why would you be wary of asking for a time extension due to (well-documented history) of a vision impairment. If you think schools are going to take an adverse inference against your application because of that, you're wrong.

If you're happy with your score and aren't willing to retake, that's fine. You should be able to get into some strong regionals/state flagships with your GPA. Also, I personally know of 3 GULCers (2 URM, 1 non-URM) who entered with 3.8-3.9, 159-161. All sticker, though.

But you shouldn't think that youre going to outkick your coverage with your softs. You also shouldn't erect unnecessary barriers around retaking (e.g., not requesting a time accommodation). Good luck with whatever you do!

Nobody_Knows

New

Post by Nobody_Knows » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:25 am

runinthefront wrote:Why would you be wary of asking for a time extension due to (well-documented history) of a vision impairment. If you think schools are going to take an adverse inference against your application because of that, you're wrong.

If you're happy with your score and aren't willing to retake, that's fine. You should be able to get into some strong regionals/state flagships with your GPA. Also, I personally know of 3 GULCers (2 URM, 1 non-URM) who entered with 3.8-3.9, 159-161. All sticker, though.

But you shouldn't think that youre going to outkick your coverage with your softs. You also shouldn't erect unnecessary barriers around retaking (e.g., not requesting a time accommodation). Good luck with whatever you do!
I really appreciate the advice! I'll consider asking for a time extension if my fix doesn't work out (but I really hope that it does or else law school is going to be hell). I'm also considering not retaking regardless because I've got a very good offer from my alma mater, and I think that I could be happy staying here. I just don't know!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:35 am

Nobody_Knows wrote:
runinthefront wrote:
Nobody_Knows wrote:
That sucks. Have you tried asking for the alternative? It sounds reasonable to me.

They just have the one version of the large print booklet, unfortunately. It's 18 point font and requires a table because it won't fit on desks. Why the LSAC thinks that this is helpful, I do not know. I could request a time extension (to allow me to bend every-which-way to see the booklet), but the LSAC puts a flag on scores with time extensions, so I'm wary of that. I also have no idea if the request would be granted.
Are you sure they still put a flag on scores with time extensions?
There was a lawsuit which required LSAC to change a number of their policies and I thought that was one of them?
I don't remember the entire order though.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:18 am

6ish based on the scale you gave. I think you did the best you could with what you have fwiw. You seem to have created a pretty coherent narrative and showed serious academic desire in your UG work. For most schools this will be average to above average. Inside T20 you're probably starting at around average and then decreasing in quality exponentially as you move toward T14, T6 etc.

But since you're on a 161 that's probably irrelevant. So I think you're in fine shape for any school that would take your numbers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:03 am

Your softs fall in a range of 6 to 9 depending upon how they are presented in your law school application.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:07 pm

You have good softs for a K-JD, maybe 6-7. The visual disability thing in particular should help you out - maybe write an LSAT addendum if you don't feel up to retaking (which you really should but considerng your circumstances it's understandable if you don't). Also, what "letter" are you in LGBT? I ask because being transgender in particular would be a "good soft" unto its own, especially given the recent focus on those issues. Not that LG or B wouldn't give a boost though.

Nobody_Knows

New

Post by Nobody_Knows » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:13 pm

Sorry, all, I've been sick all day and haven't read your responses until now.
Npret wrote: Are you sure they still put a flag on scores with time extensions?
There was a lawsuit which required LSAC to change a number of their policies and I thought that was one of them?
Hmm. I'm not sure. I'll have to look into that.

AJordan wrote:6ish based on the scale you gave. I think you did the best you could with what you have fwiw. You seem to have created a pretty coherent narrative and showed serious academic desire in your UG work. For most schools this will be average to above average. Inside T20 you're probably starting at around average and then decreasing in quality exponentially as you move toward T14, T6 etc.

But since you're on a 161 that's probably irrelevant. So I think you're in fine shape for any school that would take your numbers.
Thank you!

CanadianWolf wrote:Your softs fall in a range of 6 to 9 depending upon how they are presented in your law school application.
That's quite the range. By that, do you mean narrative, quality of writing/presentation, etc.? Thank you!

dm1683 wrote:You have good softs for a K-JD, maybe 6-7. The visual disability thing in particular should help you out - maybe write an LSAT addendum if you don't feel up to retaking (which you really should but considerng your circumstances it's understandable if you don't). Also, what "letter" are you in LGBT? I ask because being transgender in particular would be a "good soft" unto its own, especially given the recent focus on those issues. Not that LG or B wouldn't give a boost though.
Thank you!

Bisexual. I tried not to emphasize that in my app, though, as I would feel uncomfortable doing so because I've been in a relationship for 4.5 years with a cis male. I'm still attracted to the ladies, but it's been a long time since I have felt any persecution from my sexual orientation. One of the campaigns that I led was for an anti-discrimination ordinance for the LGBTQ community, but that's all (other than the checked box) of my connection to the community in my app.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:18 pm

Nobody_Knows wrote:
Hmm. I'm not sure.
I don't think they flag anymore, but who cares even if they do. It's obvious you need extra time/better accommodation/SOMETHING. Your disability is a huge part of your application so a flagging would be consistent with that.
I don't get your logic here at all.

Sucky situation though. I hope you figure it out.

There's no telling how schools will look at you or how much stats leeway theyll give you (if any).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nobody_Knows

New

Post by Nobody_Knows » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:35 pm

Rigo wrote:
Nobody_Knows wrote:
Hmm. I'm not sure.
I don't think they flag anymore, but who cares even if they do. It's obvious you need extra time/better accommodation/SOMETHING. Your disability is a huge part of your application so a flagging would be consistent with that.
I don't get your logic here at all.

Sucky situation though. I hope you figure it out.

There's no telling how schools will look at you or how much stats leeway theyll give you (if any).
To be honest, it's probably a combo of my pride and feeling defeated, not logic, that makes me wary of asking for extra time. I didn't know that I'd need the extra time with the large font version when I asked for the accommodations, but I definitely should if the fix doesn't work.

It's also hard to motivate myself to retake the LSAT and take a year off when I already have full tuition offers from three regional schools (2 TTs and 1 TTT) and admittance (pending scholly info) from a lower T1, but I know that I could get into a T14 or a T20 with $$$ if I take a year off and retake.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:39 pm

Be sure to get appropriate accommodation for law school exams. I'd even go so far to ask schools what they can offer in that regard NOW before you matriculate.

Nobody_Knows

New

Post by Nobody_Knows » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:45 pm

Rigo wrote:Be sure to get appropriate accommodation for law school exams. I'd even go so far to ask schools what they can offer in that regard NOW before you matriculate.
The schools who have offered admission and/or interviewed me have been very willing to help me. I've told them the accommodations that I received in undergrad (large text handouts and exams, front row seating, ebook versions of my books, etc.), but that I might not need any of it depending on how well the fix works.

Nobody_Knows

New

Post by Nobody_Knows » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:30 pm

I was just admitted to a school in the top half of the T1! Yay!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”