good schools and bad schools....where is the middle? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
intltradefuturelwyr

New

good schools and bad schools....where is the middle?

Post by intltradefuturelwyr » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:22 pm

Got my third LSAT score and while I'm shocked and disappointed, it's time to face the facts. I'm not getting into any of the schools I already applied to so I need some other options! I haven't really researched many other schools so I'm turning here for some options. So here's the big ask, I've got a 159 and a 3.5 GPA....where do I apply? I'm a URM and currently teach homeless children (PLZ TELL ME THIS HELPS ME IN SOME WAY) but my numbers are low and I can't count on those to carry me.

I am lost, I want to be in the Northeast but all I can find are schools I'll never get into and terrible schools....is there anything in the middle? help!!

S.Picquery

Silver

Re: good schools and bad schools....where is the middle?

Post by S.Picquery » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:28 pm

What kind of law do you want to practice, and where?

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:34 pm

What kind of URM are you? Teaching homeless children definitely will make for a good PS and soft, but won't overcome the LSAT. There are schools in the middle, but they only make sense if they're in the region you want to work and you are going on a really good scholarship.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:52 pm

You're not in bad shape you've got the same GPA as me (and an even higher LSAT)and URM status(I've already been admitted into three law schools in the region with$). URM status is worth a few LSAT points I gather(I wouldn't be the one to tell you how many). You shouldn't be thrilled with your score by any means but you did beat about 3/4's of all test takers and you should be proud of yourself. This forum often makes that accomplishment seem far more minor than it actually is. If by Northeast you mean New England you can probably get into any school with those numbers except Yale and Harvard. I don't think you're out of the running at BC and BU either. Everything else you should make with $. If you're including NY when you say Northeast you're probably out at Columbia, NYU and Cornell(Cornell application still worth your time probably) but you should be fine everywhere else(my stats got me 25k a year at Dozo and 30k at Brooklyn and you're three point higher than me). So from my vantage point(and someone correct me if they think I'm wrong on this, I'm a 0L going off my experience this cycle) there's only 2-5 schools in the Northeast you really don't have a chance of getting admitted to. But yeah, where exactly in the Northeast you want to practice is an important thing like the posters above have mentioned.

Here's schools that I would define as being above or in the "middle" in the Northeast(that you can probably be admitted to).

T1-Fordham, BU, BC
T2-Cardozo, Brooklyn, UCONN, UNH(SJU and Northeastern are in this category too with the LSAT and GPA they attract but there's several glaring red flags with these schools which make them worse options IMO).

Everything below this IMO would probably be in the "terrible" category you mentioned(I did apply to two of these schools but I did that for very specific reasons)
Last edited by Ferrisjso on Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:09 am, edited 5 times in total.

AJ1010

Bronze

Post by AJ1010 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:59 pm

intltradefuturelwyr wrote:Got my third LSAT score and while I'm shocked and disappointed, it's time to face the facts. I'm not getting into any of the schools I already applied to so I need some other options! I haven't really researched many other schools so I'm turning here for some options. So here's the big ask, I've got a 159 and a 3.5 GPA....where do I apply? I'm a URM and currently teach homeless children (PLZ TELL ME THIS HELPS ME IN SOME WAY) but my numbers are low and I can't count on those to carry me.

I am lost, I want to be in the Northeast but all I can find are schools I'll never get into and terrible schools....is there anything in the middle? help!!
I plugged your stats into mylsn.info, but it would be helpful if you could specify what type of URM you are. URMs with your numbers have been accepted to schools such as U Penn, Berkeley, Michigan, Cornell, and UT Austin with money (at a reasonable rate).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

intltradefuturelwyr

New

Post by intltradefuturelwyr » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:15 am

S.Picquery wrote:What kind of law do you want to practice, and where?
I want to go into public interest specifically working with victims of domestic abuse so I'm hoping for a more PI focused school school (ignore the username, I made it a long time ago). BU was (and is) my top choice especially considering their PI scholarship but like I said, I'm not so sure how that will work out now. I want to practice in Boston, but I would be okay in DC.
AJ1010 wrote: I plugged your stats into mylsn.info, but it would be helpful if you could specify what type of URM you are. URMs with your numbers have been accepted to schools such as U Penn, Berkeley, Michigan, Cornell, and UT Austin with money (at a reasonable rate).
Can you search specific ethnicities through LSN? How can I search that? I'm Hispanic, btw.

intltradefuturelwyr

New

Post by intltradefuturelwyr » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:19 am

Ferrisjso wrote:You're not in bad shape you've got the same GPA as me (and an even higher LSAT)and URM status(I've already been admitted into three law schools in the region with$). URM status is worth a few LSAT points I gather(I wouldn't be the one to tell you how many). You shouldn't be thrilled with your score by any means but you did beat about 3/4's of all test takers and you should be proud of yourself. This forum often makes that accomplishment seem far more minor than it actually is. If by Northeast you mean New England you can probably get into any school with those numbers except Yale and Harvard. I don't think you're out of the running at BC and BU either. Everything else you should make with $. If you're including NY when you say Northeast you're probably out at Columbia, NYU and Cornell(Cornell application still worth your time probably) but you should be fine everywhere else(my stats got me 25k a year at Dozo and 30k at Brooklyn and you're three point higher than me). So from my vantage point(and someone correct me if they think I'm wrong on this, I'm a 0L going off my experience this cycle) there's only 2-5 schools in the Northeast you really don't have a chance of getting admitted to. But yeah, where exactly in the Northeast you want to practice is an important thing like the posters above have mentioned.

Here's schools that I would define as being above or in the "middle" in the Northeast(that you can probably be admitted to).

T1-Fordham, BU, BC
T2-Cardozo, Brooklyn, UCONN, UNH(SJU and Northeastern are in this category too with the LSAT and GPA they attract but there's several glaring red flags with these schools which make them worse options IMO).

Everything below this IMO would probably be in the "terrible" category you mentioned(I did apply to two of these schools but I did that for very specific reasons)

Thanks for the positivity. I could use it right about now. BU is my top choice so it's my to know there is hope! I toured Northeastern and I didn't like it at all. It's one of reasons that I want to find something else. I don't want to end up somewhere that I won't like especially if I don't think it will help me achieve my goals.

intltradefuturelwyr

New

Post by intltradefuturelwyr » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:21 am

How is Ohio State? I've never heard anything about it or researched it but my numbers are around their average for not a terrible rank.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:23 am

What kind of hispanic? Generally PR, Dominican and Mexican-Americans have gotten bigger boosts and Cubans and South Americans generally little to none.

If you want to be in Boston and just local PI then Northeastern on a full ride could make sense. Might have a shot depending on URM boost at getting into BU, but won't get a lot of money. Might not be the worst decision if you are 100% PI and hope that PSLF is still around. Although could be at risk with new administration

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:24 am

Double post

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:25 am

intltradefuturelwyr wrote:How is Ohio State? I've never heard anything about it or researched it but my numbers are around their average for not a terrible rank.
Do Not Go to Ohio State if you want to be in the Northeast. Ignore rankings outside the t14 and focus on where you want to live. Ohio State is a good school if you want to be in Ohio, terrible if you want to be in Boston

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:26 am

Temple and Villanova are both very strong regional schools in Philadelphia.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:33 am

LawTweet wrote:Temple and Villanova are both very strong regional schools in Philadelphia.
OP wants to practice in Boston

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:36 am

trebekismyhero wrote:
LawTweet wrote:Temple and Villanova are both very strong regional schools in Philadelphia.
OP wants to practice in Boston
My bad, didn't see beyond "northeast."

intltradefuturelwyr

New

Post by intltradefuturelwyr » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:47 am

trebekismyhero wrote:What kind of hispanic? Generally PR, Dominican and Mexican-Americans have gotten bigger boosts and Cubans and South Americans generally little to none.

If you want to be in Boston and just local PI then Northeastern on a full ride could make sense. Might have a shot depending on URM boost at getting into BU, but won't get a lot of money. Might not be the worst decision if you are 100% PI and hope that PSLF is still around. Although could be at risk with new administration
First gen Mexican-American. My end goal would be to work for an NGO protecting women's rights--is Northeastern recognized anywhere outside of Boston? If not, that's fine. I obviously need to focus on short term first and like you said, I can't count on PSLF being around when the time comes.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:02 am

trebekismyhero wrote:What kind of hispanic? Generally PR, Dominican and Mexican-Americans have gotten bigger boosts and Cubans and South Americans generally little to none.

Other good news is both Northeastern(and Suffolk which you have a better chance of getting a full ride to) don't do conditional scholarships(unlike most of their peer schools) so you won't lose your scholly if you do get a full ride. My concerns about Northeastern(which was initially very high on my list when I was a -2L) was that it didn't give out grades and stories online of Boston employers using Northeastern's co op program as a way to get free labor every year without actually hiring Northeastern grads(there was one horror story where an employer even mocked a student about that) Yeah if the wrecking crew in Washington doesn't get rid of PSLF, BU(or BC) could work out pretty well for you debt wise(same goes for the reach schools of anyone doing PI I guess).

Also as a South American I hope you're wrong on that trebekismyhero.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:32 am

Are we seriously debating the pros and cons of Northeastern?

No. Do not go to Northeastern. A 159/3.5 with an MA boost will probably be enough to get you in somewhere decent in the Boston region. There's not enough data on MyLSN to be sure, but you should still be a contender at BU and BC. You probably won't get money, but you aren't out of the running. And you certainly don't need to be considering a school like Northeastern.

Edit: Obligatory reminder to retake and apply next cycle, because that makes this all less of a guessing game.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AJ1010

Bronze

Post by AJ1010 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:44 am

intltradefuturelwyr wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:What kind of law do you want to practice, and where?
I want to go into public interest specifically working with victims of domestic abuse so I'm hoping for a more PI focused school school (ignore the username, I made it a long time ago). BU was (and is) my top choice especially considering their PI scholarship but like I said, I'm not so sure how that will work out now. I want to practice in Boston, but I would be okay in DC.
AJ1010 wrote: I plugged your stats into mylsn.info, but it would be helpful if you could specify what type of URM you are. URMs with your numbers have been accepted to schools such as U Penn, Berkeley, Michigan, Cornell, and UT Austin with money (at a reasonable rate).
Can you search specific ethnicities through LSN? How can I search that? I'm Hispanic, btw.
you can't search Mexican-American specifically, but you would choose "URM only, exclude AA". That would give you the most accurate results.

intltradefuturelwyr

New

Post by intltradefuturelwyr » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:49 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Are we seriously debating the pros and cons of Northeastern?

No. Do not go to Northeastern. A 159/3.5 with an MA boost will probably be enough to get you in somewhere decent in the Boston region. There's not enough data on MyLSN to be sure, but you should still be a contender at BU and BC. You probably won't get money, but you aren't out of the running. And you certainly don't need to be considering a school like Northeastern.

Edit: Obligatory reminder to retake and apply next cycle, because that makes this all less of a guessing game.
I agree, I am not a fan of Northeastern at all but can I ask why you are so vehemently opposed? I might need another opinion if I get too anxious and decide to apply anyways.

intltradefuturelwyr

New

Post by intltradefuturelwyr » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:59 pm

Ferrisjso wrote: Other good news is both Northeastern(and Suffolk which you have a better chance of getting a full ride to) don't do conditional scholarships(unlike most of their peer schools) so you won't lose your scholly if you do get a full ride. My concerns about Northeastern(which was initially very high on my list when I was a -2L) was that it didn't give out grades and stories online of Boston employers using Northeastern's co op program as a way to get free labor every year without actually hiring Northeastern grads(there was one horror story where an employer even mocked a student about that) Yeah if the wrecking crew in Washington doesn't get rid of PSLF, BU(or BC) could work out pretty well for you debt wise(same goes for the reach schools of anyone doing PI I guess).
Wow, I had no idea it was that bad. When I toured Northeastern and they told me about the co-op program, it seemed a little off to me and my research hasn't really made it any better. Also I don't understand their grading system, which they told me is great because "there is no competition because there is no ranking system, everyone is equal" which sounds a whole lot like the everyone is a winner system schools are trying to do now. My friend told me I looked so horrified, she knew I would never attend that school.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:07 am

intltradefuturelwyr wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote: Other good news is both Northeastern(and Suffolk which you have a better chance of getting a full ride to) don't do conditional scholarships(unlike most of their peer schools) so you won't lose your scholly if you do get a full ride. My concerns about Northeastern(which was initially very high on my list when I was a -2L) was that it didn't give out grades and stories online of Boston employers using Northeastern's co op program as a way to get free labor every year without actually hiring Northeastern grads(there was one horror story where an employer even mocked a student about that) Yeah if the wrecking crew in Washington doesn't get rid of PSLF, BU(or BC) could work out pretty well for you debt wise(same goes for the reach schools of anyone doing PI I guess).
Wow, I had no idea it was that bad. When I toured Northeastern and they told me about the co-op program, it seemed a little off to me and my research hasn't really made it any better. Also I don't understand their grading system, which they told me is great because "there is no competition because there is no ranking system, everyone is equal" which sounds a whole lot like the everyone is a winner system schools are trying to do now. My friend told me I looked so horrified, she knew I would never attend that school.
I felt the same way when I heard about that. I really liked the school(as I'm sure you already know Northeastern UG is actually a really really good school and I was going off that reputation) but that really turned me off to it. IMO having no grades would make law school even more stressful IMO because you'd have no idea where you are relative to your peers. As someone who genuinely looks forward to studying topics I'm interested in during 2L and 3L as a nice break from the expected hell of 1L, the co op idea really alienated me and seemed quite gimmicky. The horror stories just made that worse. At least with most TT's you have the whole "if you make the top 10 to 20% you'll probably get this or that" but with no grades that makes even that seem really uncertain. IMO it seems like a much more expensive, private version of CUNY in a nicer area.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”