STEM major 3.5gpa / 175 LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Pierre I am

New

STEM major 3.5gpa / 175 LSAT

Post by Pierre I am » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:16 pm

Hey everyone,

Wondering what my chances are since I feel like my background makes me an outlier. I majored in meteorology / climate science and i have publications in GHG research while I was doing my undergrad.

I currently work for a large engineering firm doing a lot of compliance/ regulation work on air quality & GHG. This would be the only real legal experience I have, if you call it that.

My goal is to do some sort of environmental law and I would tailor my application towards that.

Any ideas where I would land? I've checked the LSN but I feel like my past experience makes me an outlier... I just don't know if it's in a good or bad sense.

Thanks!

Pierre

devilsadvocatetroll

New

Re: STEM major 3.5gpa / 175 LSAT

Post by devilsadvocatetroll » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:26 pm

You got a 175 on the LSAT yet are dumb enough to not realize from a quick search / skim of TLS posts that essentially the only things that matter are GPA and LSAT?

Doubtful. So why not just post: "Please confirm what I know already from LSN."

Pierre I am

New

Post by Pierre I am » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:17 pm

devilsadvocatetroll wrote:You got a 175 on the LSAT yet are dumb enough to not realize from a quick search / skim of TLS posts that essentially the only things that matter are GPA and LSAT?

Loving the name to post correlation :)

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:23 pm

Pierre I am wrote:
devilsadvocatetroll wrote:You got a 175 on the LSAT yet are dumb enough to not realize from a quick search / skim of TLS posts that essentially the only things that matter are GPA and LSAT?

Loving the name to post correlation :)

He's not trolling you. He just gave you a solid answer in a harsh way. Other than being obamas daughter or an Olympic athlete or something of the sort, all that matters is LSAT/GPA

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:37 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

marcusme

New

Post by marcusme » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:00 am

Apply to Harvard and Yale. Those will be your reaches. You're sure to get into any number of the top 14. Definitely go with your plan of highlighting your work experience and how you want to save the environment.

87mm

Bronze

Post by 87mm » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:00 am

Pierre I am wrote:Hey everyone,

Wondering what my chances are since I feel like my background makes me an outlier. I majored in meteorology / climate science and i have publications in GHG research while I was doing my undergrad.

I currently work for a large engineering firm doing a lot of compliance/ regulation work on air quality & GHG. This would be the only real legal experience I have, if you call it that.

My goal is to do some sort of environmental law and I would tailor my application towards that.

Any ideas where I would land? I've checked the LSN but I feel like my past experience makes me an outlier... I just don't know if it's in a good or bad sense.

Thanks!

Pierre
You're not engineering nor are you PhD/MS so the STEM benefit is marginal at best. Meteorology/climate science is more of a soft science compared bio/chem. The real bonus of STEM is the patent bar eligibility. You dont fall under the list of accepted degrees, but depending on your work experience and coursework you MAY still qualify: http://www.ipwatchdog.com/patent-bar-exam/category-b/ .

The real benefit to your background is you can write a more unique PS compared to a lot of K-JD applicants with similar grades/gpa AND have work experience to help with jobs. GPA/LSAT matter a lot more. Your LSAT puts you in t-14 range, just dont be boring in your PS and you'll be fine.

My stem background helped me a bit more with negotiation than with my prospects. I didn't overperform my numbers... sorry if you were hoping it would help. Tough pill to swallow with the lower GPAs STEM majors tend to have.

Pierre I am

New

Post by Pierre I am » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:32 am

Thank you everyone for the responses and advice!

I was actually worried my background would be more of a hindrance than anything else.

tskela

Bronze

Post by tskela » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:36 pm

marcusme wrote:Apply to Harvard and Yale. Those will be your reaches. You're sure to get into any number of the top 14. Definitely go with your plan of highlighting your work experience and how you want to save the environment.
Save the $80.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

87mm

Bronze

Post by 87mm » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:51 am

Pierre I am wrote:Thank you everyone for the responses and advice!

I was actually worried my background would be more of a hindrance than anything else.
It wont be a hindrance. You dont have a common background, but common is typically boring to the admission people when 90% of applicants are the exact same.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:55 pm

Anecdotal, but my friend who was a STEM major with a 3.6 GPA and a 173 LSAT got into both Columbia and Chicago; he ended up going to a Vanderbilt/Texas/UCLA type of school for free.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”