3.1/171 Splitter Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
splitter567

New

3.1/171 Splitter

Post by splitter567 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:36 pm

GPA of 3.1 and LSAT of 171. I’m planning to apply very early in the cycle. (I have all my application materials ready to go.) Not a URM.

I’m trying to figure out where to apply ED. I would like to apply ED to NYU, but I’m not sure if I’m wasting my ED on a school I have a low probability of getting into.

Where do you guys think I should apply ED?

HYPSM

Bronze

Re: 3.1/171 Splitter

Post by HYPSM » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:42 pm

splitter567 wrote:GPA of 3.1 and LSAT of 171. I’m planning to apply very early in the cycle. (I have all my application materials ready to go.) Not a URM.

I’m trying to figure out where to apply ED. I would like to apply ED to NYU, but I’m not sure if I’m wasting my ED on a school I have a low probability of getting into.

Where do you guys think I should apply ED?
Northwestern or UVA.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:48 pm

Or regional school with an awesome scholarship...........you gotta know what your goals are before you can make a decision like that.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:50 pm

You should only consider applying ED to a school that you 100% want to go to over all others. But assuming that money is a consideration for you (and it should be), you should only consider applying ED to a school that offers you a guaranteed scholarship with your acceptance. So in the T14, that would be Northwestern.

Otherwise, ED has been shown to have anywhere from a minimal to a negative effect on your admissions chances, and it totally wrecks your chances of good merit aid.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:54 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

splitter567

New

Post by splitter567 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:28 pm

Thanks for everyone’s advice!

I should have added in my original post that money isn’t playing much of a role in my decision. I’ve been very lucky financially. I don’t plan on taking out any debt and paying full sticker is no problem.

UVA’s ED deadline is the same as their regular deadline (Mar 6) and GULC’s deadline is Feb 1. So does it make sense to apply early to say NW or NYU and then if I get rejected, call UVA or GULC to change my application from regular to early decision?

Lexaholik

Bronze

Post by Lexaholik » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:58 am

I don't think ED provides you with the bump you think it does.

The problem with your plan is that NU probably won't reject you (if at all) until much later. (I'm less certain about NYU but wouldn't be surprised.) So you'll be in a situation where you're on the WL or deferred to the general applicant pool. I suppose at that point you could "change" your status to early decision but I don't think that will help you as much as you think. First, as others have mentioned "ED" on your application status provides only a marginal benefit. Second, think about how UVA/GULC will react to that call. Do you think you'll come across as genuinely interested in their school?

My advice is this. If money is truly no object, apply ED to the school you want to go to. I'd lean towards Northwestern but perhaps I'm biased because they admitted me with a 2.9/170 years ago. (I applied ED, was deferred into the general pool, then was placed on the waitlist, then on the "shortened summer waitlist" before I was admitted.) Regardless, you should apply anywhere and everywhere you could see yourself attending.

And instead of focusing on where to apply ED, focus on your total application package. How did you spin your 3.1 in the addendum? Do your recommenders speak to your academic ability and discipline? Did you remember to avoid hackneyed, beaten-to-death PS topics? What did you going to write about in your optional essays? Do you plan to fly to Chicago to do an on-site interview to express your interest in attending NU? Etc. etc.

These are the things that will help you get accepted. They're much harder than just checking a box that says ED but totally worth it.

Good luck. You've got a good a shot as anyone at getting into a T14. Just don't play your cards wrong by putting together a mediocre application and hope that your ED will save you. It won't.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”