3.0 Splitter Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
hayleyc

New

3.0 Splitter

Post by hayleyc » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:43 pm

Taking the LSAT in December - PTing at 173+

Obviously aware that PT scores aren't actual exam scores, but was wondering what my chances would be as a splitter applicant who is applying in early January. I am working on applications right now and am wondering if it's worth sending in applications for NU, WUSTL or Michigan in January (in the event I score a 165+ LSAT). I am nervous as January is much later than when most splitters should have their applications in.

Thoughts?

cavalier1138

Re: 3.0 Splitter

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:50 pm

I think you should take the LSAT in September. Taking it in December is just shooting yourself in the foot for this cycle.

Lexaholik

Bronze

Post by Lexaholik » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:55 pm

Agree with the above. If you're scoring 173+ on PTs, why not just take it in September and get your materials in early? As someone with a 3.0 the biggest obstacle you're gonna face is that you're lazy. Sending in your apps early counteracts that stereotype.

If you do end up applying late (after Jan. 2017) you probably won't be hurt that much by the tardiness. Most of the top law schools that accept splitters do so from the waitlist because they want to see how the applicant pool shapes up before making decisions on borderline candidates.

With a 3.0/173 I'd definitely apply to all three schools for sure.

hayleyc

New

Post by hayleyc » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:00 pm

Lexaholik wrote:Agree with the above. If you're scoring 173+ on PTs, why not just take it in September and get your materials in early? As someone with a 3.0 the biggest obstacle you're gonna face is that you're lazy. Sending in your apps early counteracts that stereotype.

If you do end up applying late (after Jan. 2017) you probably won't be hurt that much by the tardiness. Most of the top law schools that accept splitters do so from the waitlist because they want to see how the applicant pool shapes up before making decisions on borderline candidates.

With a 3.0/173 I'd definitely apply to all three schools for sure.

I don't want to get too into it, but my work travel schedule doesn't allow me to take the September exam. So, December it is. What do you think my chances would be to be admitted RD (not WL) at those three schools at that point?

Lexaholik

Bronze

Post by Lexaholik » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:09 pm

hayleyc wrote:I don't want to get too into it, but my work travel schedule doesn't allow me to take the September exam. So, December it is. What do you think my chances would be to be admitted RD (not WL) at those three schools at that point?
The sample size is small but it seems like you've got a 40% chance at Michigan, 50% at NU, and pretty much a lock for WUSTL. Not exactly sure what the breakdown is between WL->Accept and RD admission but you can check out the numbers for yourself. (See MyLSN link below)

Once you get that 170+ LSAT the key really is to make sure everything else in your application looks good. Write a strong PS, write all the essays, and get solid recs. You can get these done in the coming weeks.

Most of these other aspects of the application don't matter much for most applicants but they can make or break a splitters. I put together a strong app years ago at landed NU with a 2.9/170. On the other hand, I've seen 3.0/176 candidates get shut out of the T14 completely.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rav17

New

Post by rav17 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:11 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I think you should take the LSAT in September. Taking it in December is just shooting yourself in the foot for this cycle.
Unless OP wants to ED, it won't.

hayleyc

New

Post by hayleyc » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:18 pm

Lexaholik wrote:
hayleyc wrote:I don't want to get too into it, but my work travel schedule doesn't allow me to take the September exam. So, December it is. What do you think my chances would be to be admitted RD (not WL) at those three schools at that point?
The sample size is small but it seems like you've got a 40% chance at Michigan, 50% at NU, and pretty much a lock for WUSTL. Not exactly sure what the breakdown is between WL->Accept and RD admission but you can check out the numbers for yourself. (See MyLSN link below)

Once you get that 170+ LSAT the key really is to make sure everything else in your application looks good. Write a strong PS, write all the essays, and get solid recs. You can get these done in the coming weeks.

Most of these other aspects of the application don't matter much for most applicants but they can make or break a splitters. I put together a strong app years ago at landed NU with a 2.9/170. On the other hand, I've seen 3.0/176 candidates get shut out of the T14 completely.

[img]http://myLSN.info/m8a7bb_1-14.jpg
Thanks! I think I have a strong application (especially if I can get 165+ on the LSAT), but I'm just nervous about WE. I have one year of WE, and that's nothing compared to most splitters, who have 2+

How much of a disadvantage will that be for me, especially at a school like NU where they greatly value WE?

Lexaholik

Bronze

Post by Lexaholik » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:25 pm

hayleyc wrote:
I think I have a strong application (especially if I can get 165+ on the LSAT), but I'm just nervous about WE. I have one year of WE, and that's nothing compared to most splitters, who have 2+

How much of a disadvantage will that be for me, especially at a school like NU where they greatly value WE?
I wouldn't worry too much about WE for NU because:

- The WE stats includes the year you're applying. So assuming you have 1 year of WE (i.e. graduated in 2015) you'll have 2 years of WE when you start in 2017
- Even if you just graduated in 2016, they also accept lots of people with just 1 year of WE
- Application trends for NU may be changing. Historically they liked admitting people with WE heavy resumes. I'm not sure if that still holds now anymore

Regardless, NU loves high LSATs so if you break 170 you're definitely in play.

hayleyc

New

Post by hayleyc » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:46 pm

Lexaholik wrote:
hayleyc wrote:
I think I have a strong application (especially if I can get 165+ on the LSAT), but I'm just nervous about WE. I have one year of WE, and that's nothing compared to most splitters, who have 2+

I wouldn't worry too much about WE for NU because:

- The WE stats includes the year you're applying. So assuming you have 1 year of WE (i.e. graduated in 2015) you'll have 2 years of WE when you start in 2017
- Even if you just graduated in 2016, they also accept lots of people with just 1 year of WE
- Application trends for NU may be changing. Historically they liked admitting people with WE heavy resumes. I'm not sure if that still holds now anymore

Regardless, NU loves high LSATs so if you break 170 you're definitely in play.

It sounds like my best bet is to apply to all three schools, alongside the other schools that I'm applying to. Thanks for the input - I really appreciate it!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:58 pm

rav17 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I think you should take the LSAT in September. Taking it in December is just shooting yourself in the foot for this cycle.
Except that the common wisdom on splitters is to apply broadly and apply early. The latter part is particularly important (especially with the rising LSAT medians this year), because a splitter's main strength is having a strong LSAT that schools want to move on early. Once it gets later in the cycle, the schools have a much better picture of their LSAT/GPA distributions, and they're less likely to need to let in a splitter.

I'm not saying applying late will kill the OP's chances, but it's a needless detriment to their application.

rav17

New

Post by rav17 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:20 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
rav17 wrote:
Except that the common wisdom on splitters is to apply broadly and apply early. The latter part is particularly important (especially with the rising LSAT medians this year), because a splitter's main strength is having a strong LSAT that schools want to move on early. Once it gets later in the cycle, the schools have a much better picture of their LSAT/GPA distributions, and they're less likely to need to let in a splitter.

I'm not saying applying late will kill the OP's chances, but it's a needless detriment to their application.
True. Habitually applying in December would not be to one's detriment, but in the case of splitters it could.

hayleyc

New

Post by hayleyc » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:25 pm

rav17 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
rav17 wrote:

True. Habitually applying in December would not be to one's detriment, but in the case of splitters it could.
I really wish it was possible for me to take the LSAT in September, but there's no way for it happen sadly. Hopefully, the late application doesn't hurt my chances at the lower T-14 too much. From what I've read in this thread, it's worth a shot.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”