3.2/174 Splitter Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
tzzzok

New

3.2/174 Splitter

Post by tzzzok » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:22 pm

Hey guys! Decided a year and a half ago to go into law (not w/o doing extensive research beforehand) after burning out hard with biological sciences. My current GPA is around a 3.6, but I expect it to drop to a ~3.2 after accounting for a repeat in genetics my freshman year (my dumbass missed the final exam -- it was like 50% of the grade) as well as doing not too hot in orgo. My GPA has been near 4.0 since I decided to switch to economics -- although from what I hear, admissions are a hard numbers game and GPA trends aren't really that important.

Is there a realistic shot at Columbia (my dream school) ED with a 3.2/174 LSAT and ok softs (not URM)? I would be happy with any T14, especially if I wasn't paying sticker.

I appreciate the help!

benwyatt

Platinum

Re: 3.2/174 Splitter

Post by benwyatt » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:56 pm

Do not, under any circumstances, apply to Columbia Law School through a binding early decision program. Columbia is the most expensive law school out there and if you apply ED there is no incentive for them to give you a single dollar in financial aid. Don't despair though, I applied this cycle through regular decision with a 3.3/174 and I am going to Columbia in the fall with a scholarship. Your upward trend will help but it won't be decisive since upward trends don't count for anything in the rankings. Expect to be asked in an interview why you switched majors and be prepared with a better answer than "It was hard" (not saying that's what you're saying now, just saying it wouldn't play well).

Your post doesn't seem super thought out to me. You mention EDing CLS but then you also say you'd be happy at any T14 as long as it isn't at sticker. I think your best bet is to apply across the T14, ED Northwestern because it comes with a scholarship, and then choose from among your many options. You're almost definitely going to get multiple T14 acceptances and scholarships at several schools, but it can be a bit random and hard to predict, especially for splitters like us.

tl;dr yes you have a shot at CLS but please don't ED

Good luck!

tzzzok

New

Post by tzzzok » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:12 pm

Thanks for the advice! It seems like ED probably isn't the most practical decision after all, especially if there is zero financial aid. I wasn't really confident with my low GPA, but after reading some of results on this website I like my chances a lot better.

rk42

New

Post by rk42 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:16 pm

Know someone who got ED at Columbia with 3.3/172, so definitely possible.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:20 pm

benwyatt wrote:
Your post doesn't seem super thought out to me. You mention EDing CLS but then you also say you'd be happy at any T14 as long as it isn't at sticker. I think your best bet is to apply across the T14, ED Northwestern because it comes with a scholarship, and then choose from among your many options. You're almost definitely going to get multiple T14 acceptances and scholarships at several schools, but it can be a bit random and hard to predict, especially for splitters like us.

Good luck!
If you ED Northwestern, it's my understanding that you have to go there, correct?

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Post by pittsburghpirates » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:11 pm

RamTitan wrote:
benwyatt wrote:

Good luck!
If you ED Northwestern, it's my understanding that you have to go there, correct?
Only if you get accepted through the ED program. If you get deferred to regular decision, the binding aspect goes away.

OP listen to benwyatt. Do not ED CLS. You will have multiple offers to pick from in the T14. If you must ED, only ED NU. But if you want more freedom to choose and negotiate, don't ED anywhere. Best of luck

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”