168/3.45 - I guess I'm kind of a splitter Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
birdy01

New

168/3.45 - I guess I'm kind of a splitter

Post by birdy01 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:46 am

Sorry for creating another one of these - I'm trying to figure out which schools I should prioritize and was wondering what you all think my chances might be. I've looked at the matching websites, but the data seems inconclusive about people with a GPA like mine.

My LSAT is 168 and GPA is 3.45.

Softs:
1. Top 20 private university
2. Science major
3. Internship at a major news station
4. Gap year before college, and after college received a competitive, fully-paid fellowship to work in Europe for a year (I will be applying from Europe)
5. I'm planning to write a (short and to-the-point) addendum about my GPA - there was a death in my family one semester and my grades really suffered, but showed an upward trend afterwards

Schools I'm interested in include: BU, Cornell, Duke, GW, Georgetown, Michigan, NYU, Northwestern, Penn and UVA.

Thanks for any insight!

grades??

Silver

Re: 168/3.45 - I guess I'm kind of a splitter

Post by grades?? » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:55 am

Had the same gpa and about the same lsat. non-kjd. struck out from t14. retook, got 175+, now at PDV with a huge scholarship. You might sneak an acceptance or two, but getting 4-5 more lsat points will make a world of difference.

nate3869

New

Post by nate3869 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:56 am

The range function on mylsn.info would probably be of use here.

According to that, you'd have:

great shot at BU and GW
okay shot at Cornell, Georgetown, Michigan and Northwestern
little to no chance at Duke, NYU, Penn and UVA

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:58 am

You aren't quite a splitter at the higher-ranked schools in the T-14, because your LSAT isn't >75th for them.

I think that you'll have a decent chance at Georgetown, Michigan, and Cornell (and obviously in at BU and GW). Northwestern generally favors more work experience out of undergrad (looks like you're a K-JD from this, even though you have the gap year), but that doesn't mean you're definitely out there. I think the other schools in the T-14 are going to be a bit of a reach with that GPA, though, especially NYU and Penn.

The main thing to consider is that even if you do get in to a higher-ranked school in the T-14, you probably aren't going to get a strong scholarship offer.

nate3869

New

Post by nate3869 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:59 am

grades?? wrote:Had the same gpa and about the same lsat. non-kjd. struck out from t14. retook, got 175+, now at PDV with a huge scholarship. You might sneak an acceptance or two, but getting 4-5 more lsat points will make a world of difference.
This is probably a more helpful response, though. Even NYU/Columbia wouldn't be off limits if you got a 175+.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:05 am

nate3869 wrote:
grades?? wrote:Had the same gpa and about the same lsat. non-kjd. struck out from t14. retook, got 175+, now at PDV with a huge scholarship. You might sneak an acceptance or two, but getting 4-5 more lsat points will make a world of difference.
This is probably a more helpful response, though. Even NYU/Columbia wouldn't be off limits if you got a 175+.
This is true, but in my case I took the money versus no/little money at Columbia/Chicago.

birdy01

New

Post by birdy01 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:12 am

Thanks! Very helpful. If I could get into Georgetown or Michigan, I'd go to either one. Scholarship money is not a huge issue, although I do intend to at least try to bargain. I also intend to apply very early in the cycle, so hopefully that will help.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:17 am

birdy01 wrote:Thanks! Very helpful. If I could get into Georgetown or Michigan, I'd go to either one. Scholarship money is not a huge issue, although I do intend to at least try to bargain. I also intend to apply very early in the cycle, so hopefully that will help.
Well I wouldn't bank on it. Also, going to Georgetown with no scholarship is a huge issue unless you have a really rich family paying the whole thing off.

nate3869

New

Post by nate3869 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:28 am

grades?? wrote:
birdy01 wrote:Thanks! Very helpful. If I could get into Georgetown or Michigan, I'd go to either one. Scholarship money is not a huge issue, although I do intend to at least try to bargain. I also intend to apply very early in the cycle, so hopefully that will help.
Well I wouldn't bank on it. Also, going to Georgetown with no scholarship is a huge issue unless you have a really rich family paying the whole thing off.
Definitely don't go to Georgetown at full price. Also, be sure to write Why? essays for both Michigan and Georgetown for your best shot at getting in there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

birdy01

New

Post by birdy01 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:25 am

nate3869 wrote:
grades?? wrote:
Definitely don't go to Georgetown at full price. Also, be sure to write Why? essays for both Michigan and Georgetown for your best shot at getting in there.
Luckily I'm not paying for [the majority of] my law school tuition. Are there other reasons it's not a good idea to go to Georgetown full price?

Also, any advice for how to write these Why? essays? I'm starting to work on them now, and everything is sounding a little BS. Unfortunately I'm moving out of the country in September-ish, so even if I visit, I won't be able to make it to a class.

nate3869

New

Post by nate3869 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:04 pm

birdy01 wrote:
nate3869 wrote:
grades?? wrote:
Luckily I'm not paying for [the majority of] my law school tuition. Are there other reasons it's not a good idea to go to Georgetown full price?

Also, any advice for how to write these Why? essays? I'm starting to work on them now, and everything is sounding a little BS. Unfortunately I'm moving out of the country in September-ish, so even if I visit, I won't be able to make it to a class.
Well Georgetown has the worst employment statistics of any of the t-14 (Law School Transparency gives them an employment score of 72.4%), although that may be influenced by Georgetown grads seeking employment in the tough DC markets. Long story short - you wouldn't want to to to Georgetown full price in case you end up not being able to secure employment once you get out and owe >$200,000 in loans. I believe this is the general reasoning behind that (it's mine at least).

In regards to the Why? essays, I guess I should have pointed out that unless you actually have a reason why you want to go to those schools, you probably shouldn't just come up with some BS. You mentioned you would attend Michigan or Georgetown if admitted, so that indicated to me that you had some reason for feeling that way; that would be something you want to express in your essay. Otherwise, do research on the schools and come up with a few specific things you find attractive about them (clinics, specific programs, etc.) and write about that. At the very least it will indicate to the schools that you care enough to do research about specific opportunities available there, which my work in your favor.

mukol

Bronze

Post by mukol » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:05 pm

You're not a splitter.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”