Tax LLM- Georgetown Online and UF Law Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
AvocateAmusante

New

Tax LLM- Georgetown Online and UF Law

Post by AvocateAmusante » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:10 pm

:P
Last edited by AvocateAmusante on Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cigarman

New

Re: Tax LLM- Georgetown Online and UF Law

Post by cigarman » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:37 pm

Geographically limited to UF? How is that possible? You say you attend a top 20 law school. So... that means you don't go to school in Florida right now. So Gainesville would be a move. There is some missing info.

I would do Georgetown or NYU IN PERSON not online. You can't get the kind of internships/part time/full time jobs outside of DC and NYC you can get at GULC and NYU. All my classmates worked full time and went to GULC at night, all LLM classes are at night. The value is the contacts of your classmates you will have forever... and the job experience and contacts.

I live in Florida... they is almost no job experience worth having in Gainesville. No IRS, no Big Law, just a bunch of cows and drunk undergrads :shock:

I know the rankings always have Florida highly ranked. And they are for a "theory" school. Not a "jobs" school. look at the tax talent rankings. Its 50% NYU 40% GULC and everyone else combined 10% for who they would hire. US news isn't correct with Florida. Look at the biglaw placement etc. But, the key is the location blows. Move Florida to DC and they are just as good as GULC. GULC sells out to govt (defense) and NYU to wallstreet (offense). Florida... ? Its like studying marine biology in Nevada... WHY?

Online might be same classes, but its not the same. I have an in person LLM and an online one. I do business with all my in person classmates, nothing with the online ones.

Cigar

Oh yes... I forgot Florida takes THREE semesters they have a thesis/paper requirement (see a theory school...)

CoGar

New

Post by CoGar » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:38 am

cigarman wrote:Geographically limited to UF? How is that possible? You say you attend a top 20 law school. So... that means you don't go to school in Florida right now. So Gainesville would be a move. There is some missing info.

I would do Georgetown or NYU IN PERSON not online. You can't get the kind of internships/part time/full time jobs outside of DC and NYC you can get at GULC and NYU. All my classmates worked full time and went to GULC at night, all LLM classes are at night. The value is the contacts of your classmates you will have forever... and the job experience and contacts.

I live in Florida... they is almost no job experience worth having in Gainesville. No IRS, no Big Law, just a bunch of cows and drunk undergrads :shock:

I know the rankings always have Florida highly ranked. And they are for a "theory" school. Not a "jobs" school. look at the tax talent rankings. Its 50% NYU 40% GULC and everyone else combined 10% for who they would hire. US news isn't correct with Florida. Look at the biglaw placement etc. But, the key is the location blows. Move Florida to DC and they are just as good as GULC. GULC sells out to govt (defense) and NYU to wallstreet (offense). Florida... ? Its like studying marine biology in Nevada... WHY?

Online might be same classes, but its not the same. I have an in person LLM and an online one. I do business with all my in person classmates, nothing with the online ones.

Cigar

Oh yes... I forgot Florida takes THREE semesters they have a thesis/paper requirement (see a theory school...)
Miami is full of job prospects - respectable big law satellites as well

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:26 am

it's 9 months. you will get into NYU and you should go if you want to practice in a firm. georgetown and UF will most likely put you back where you are now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”