173 / 3.2 Application Strategy? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kjj4

New

173 / 3.2 Application Strategy?

Post by kjj4 » Thu May 26, 2016 1:04 am

Was hoping to get some quick advice on which schools I should be targeting and where (if anywhere) I might be able to get some financial assistance. I realize my low GPA might prevent me from this, but the schools I'm most interested in attending are UPENN, Cornell, NYU, or Columbia. I would be fine with going to any of the aforementioned options without a scholarship, but I'm also open to going to a lower ranked school on a partial ride. My softs aren't particularly interesting, but I have done a bit of sports writing and am currently working for an NBA team's scouting department.

What would your strategy for the application process be if you were in my situation?

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can provide.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Re: 173 / 3.2 Application Strategy?

Post by Barack O'Drama » Thu May 26, 2016 1:26 am

Write Why X essays. Make sure your LOR are outstanding. Make sure your personal statement is impeccable.

Any particular reason why the GPA is low? Maybe an addendum if there's a good reason. Otherwise I've heard adcoms hate them and they just sound like excuses.

Essentially, just make sure your app package is air tight.

Good luck

Retake if you think you can get 175+ it will make a difference.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kjj4

New

Post by kjj4 » Thu May 26, 2016 1:32 am

Appreciate the response.

I was considering writing an addendum, and I still might. Essentially I had a sudden loss of financial support for about a year of my undergrad and that caused me to have to work much more than expected, which in turn caused me to have a few rough quarters. I realize a lot of people get through college by themselves, though, so I don't know if it'll be worth it to write one. I did have a very strong upward trend my last year in school.

tsujimoto74

Bronze

Post by tsujimoto74 » Thu May 26, 2016 12:26 pm

I have very similar stats to you. The best advice I can give is apply early. I got my apps in kind of late because one of my LORs took a while, and I think it hurt my cycle.

Other than that, make sure your app is buttoned up tight, apply broadly, and hope for the best.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu May 26, 2016 12:33 pm

I'm not really sure if an addendum for your GPA in your circumstance of having to work is really going to cut it. Like you said, many people do it so I don't think you should write one unless there's another reason. Apply early, cover the entire T14 as well as other schools you're interested in. At least you have some work experience, so that's in your favor. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Thu May 26, 2016 12:38 pm

kjj4 wrote:Was hoping to get some quick advice on which schools I should be targeting and where (if anywhere) I might be able to get some financial assistance. I realize my low GPA might prevent me from this, but the schools I'm most interested in attending are UPENN, Cornell, NYU, or Columbia. I would be fine with going to any of the aforementioned options without a scholarship, but I'm also open to going to a lower ranked school on a partial ride. My softs aren't particularly interesting, but I have done a bit of sports writing and am currently working for an NBA team's scouting department.

What would your strategy for the application process be if you were in my situation?

I had your exact stats (but several cycles ago). My advice is to apply broadly. I would blanket everywhere in the T14 minus HYS. I'd also throw in UT if you have any interest in practicing in Texas, UCLA/USC if you have any interest in practicing in California, and Vanderbilt if you'd be interested in practicing in the southeast.

Also, apply early and be prepared to ride out some waitlists.

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Thu May 26, 2016 1:25 pm

kjj4 wrote:Was hoping to get some quick advice on which schools I should be targeting and where (if anywhere) I might be able to get some financial assistance. I realize my low GPA might prevent me from this, but the schools I'm most interested in attending are UPENN, Cornell, NYU, or Columbia. I would be fine with going to any of the aforementioned options without a scholarship, but I'm also open to going to a lower ranked school on a partial ride. My softs aren't particularly interesting, but I have done a bit of sports writing and am currently working for an NBA team's scouting department.

3.10/171 and got into Penn + Columbia WL (no decision at NYU). I have lots of opinions on applications - feel free to PM me.

Lexaholik

Bronze

Post by Lexaholik » Thu May 26, 2016 2:20 pm

In rough order of importance:

- Cast a wide net, apply everywhere
- Do all optional essays, especially Why X Law School
- Put together a solid application package (no inane PS topics, solid LORs, addenda if necessary)
- Apply early in the cycle
- Don't get discouraged by deferrals or waitlists
- Bombard schools with LOCIs and wait for WL movement in late summer

Candidates with your numbers get into top schools every year. Search the forums and you'll find the answers you seek.

kjj4

New

Post by kjj4 » Tue May 31, 2016 12:18 am

Appreciate all of the responses. Do you guys think I have a shot at Northwestern ED? RD?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gsy987

Bronze

Post by gsy987 » Tue May 31, 2016 1:02 am

kjj4 wrote:Appreciate all of the responses. Do you guys think I have a shot at Northwestern ED? RD?
You're a shoo-in RD. ED is probably a bit trickier, but I still think you've got a decent shot. How long have you been working for? (NW tends to like people w/ work experience.)

kjj4

New

Post by kjj4 » Tue May 31, 2016 1:06 am

gsy987 wrote:
kjj4 wrote:Appreciate all of the responses. Do you guys think I have a shot at Northwestern ED? RD?
You're a shoo-in RD. ED is probably a bit trickier, but I still think you've got a decent shot. How long have you been working for? (NW tends to like people w/ work experience.)

Good to hear. I worked about 30 hours a week doing mostly retail to help pay for my undergrad. Not sure that that sort of thing counts as work experience, though. I've been doing the NBA job for about a year now, and I've been writing for about 2.

gsy987

Bronze

Post by gsy987 » Tue May 31, 2016 1:08 am

kjj4 wrote:
gsy987 wrote:

Good to hear. I worked about 30 hours a week doing mostly retail to help pay for my undergrad. Not sure that that sort of thing counts as work experience, though. I've been doing the NBA job for about a year now, and I've been writing for about 2.
Ya I mean applying ED to NW seems to make sense (especially if your goal is biglaw.) Worst case, they'll just toss you into the regular decision pile!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”