178/3.5 money? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
melmelcoolj

Bronze

178/3.5 money?

Post by melmelcoolj » Wed May 25, 2016 9:49 pm

I am wondering if it is possible to get money anywhere in the T14 with numbers as such? Quite a few people recommended EDing Northwestern, but I am not sure if that is a smart move. I will have about two years of work experience in internet by the time I attend law school, and one year of experience when I apply. So NU seems to be a fit?

I have searched extensively on LSN, but there seems to be not enough data points for money. If you have any inputs, that would be great. Thanks in advance!

jumbocolumbo

Bronze

Re: 178/3.5 money?

Post by jumbocolumbo » Wed May 25, 2016 10:18 pm

Lower t-14 should definitely offer you something. With that LSAT you're in great shape. GPA isn't that bad, just not sure how it will affect you higher up.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri May 27, 2016 2:10 am

Definitely ED Northwestern.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri May 27, 2016 2:15 am

Ed nu and apply broadly. I think you get NU with 150 but just in case.

gsy987

Bronze

Post by gsy987 » Fri May 27, 2016 2:36 am

So actually I think you can make an argument that ED'ing NW might not be that smart, and here's why:

NW is towards the bottom-ish of the T14, and I think with those numbers, you're likely looking at admission to a few T6 schools. If you play your cards right, you could end up with significant $$ at schools closer to the middle of the T14 (think UVA/Michigan/Boalt)...and that's before you start negotiating.

On the other hand, ED at NW is a safe option and it's a fine school. I also think there's a VERY strong chance that you'd get in ED, especially given your work experience.

Either way, congrats on your LSAT score and you're in an extremely strong position for next cycle :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Fri May 27, 2016 10:07 am

Thanks guys for the input. I am wondering if with my numbers I can get any money from T6 (maybe 1/3 tuition from Columbia/NYU), or half tuition from Michigan/Boalt/UVA? If so, I may also choose those options.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri May 27, 2016 10:22 am

melmelcoolj wrote:Thanks guys for the input. I am wondering if with my numbers I can get any money from T6 (maybe 1/3 tuition from Columbia/NYU), or half tuition from Michigan/Boalt/UVA? If so, I may also choose those options.
Those options are worse than 150k from northwestern. But yes you can definitely get money from those other schools.

gsy987

Bronze

Post by gsy987 » Fri May 27, 2016 10:41 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:Thanks guys for the input. I am wondering if with my numbers I can get any money from T6 (maybe 1/3 tuition from Columbia/NYU), or half tuition from Michigan/Boalt/UVA? If so, I may also choose those options.
Those options are worse than 150k from northwestern. But yes you can definitely get money from those other schools.
I think a lot of this depends on what you want to do after law school. If you're really desiring a big firm, then 150k at NW makes sense (though again, 150k does NOT equal a full scholly these days.) However, if you want FC or PI, Boalt/UVA at a slightly smaller scholarship could make quite a bit of sense.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Fri May 27, 2016 10:16 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
I am thinking of doing BigLaw after graduation. So technically speaking, going to T6 would not really change the game? I was under the impression that I could get a worse grade point average at a T6 but still get into a BigLaw firm, while there seems to be fewer options coming out of NU. But it could be wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Fri May 27, 2016 10:18 pm

gsy987 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
I think a lot of this depends on what you want to do after law school. If you're really desiring a big firm, then 150k at NW makes sense (though again, 150k does NOT equal a full scholly these days.) However, if you want FC or PI, Boalt/UVA at a slightly smaller scholarship could make quite a bit of sense.
I only want BigLaw after graduation. Since I am an international student, PI and FC are not really options. But again does going to a T6 school would give me a larger chance to get into a BigLaw firm? I know the difference is not perhaps super pronounced. But how big is the difference between a T6 (i.e. Columbia) and something at the bottom of the T14 (i.e. NU) in terms of employment.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Fri May 27, 2016 10:52 pm

melmelcoolj wrote:
gsy987 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
I only want BigLaw after graduation. Since I am an international student, PI and FC are not really options. But again does going to a T6 school would give me a larger chance to get into a BigLaw firm? I know the difference is not perhaps super pronounced. But how big is the difference between a T6 (i.e. Columbia) and something at the bottom of the T14 (i.e. NU) in terms of employment.
You can find this on the internet. There's a recent TLS thread with the data of BL+FC numbers. NU is higher than NYU and this is a scenario where following the USNWR rankings makes little sense. The poster above who suggested that NU is at the bottom of the T14 and that you could be passing on a school like Michigan is an idiot. NU is a better school than Michigan.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri May 27, 2016 11:17 pm

If you want biglaw definitely go NU ED.

gsy987

Bronze

Post by gsy987 » Fri May 27, 2016 11:56 pm

Mullens wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
gsy987 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
You can find this on the internet. There's a recent TLS thread with the data of BL+FC numbers. NU is higher than NYU and this is a scenario where following the USNWR rankings makes little sense. The poster above who suggested that NU is at the bottom of the T14 and that you could be passing on a school like Michigan is an idiot. NU is a better school than Michigan.
Jeez, thanks! Anyways, if biglaw is the goal (which we didn't know until OP mentioned it), then NU w/ ED makes sense. If OP was interested in FC or PI, those other schools that I mentioned would've made more sense.

(I'm not going to take the bait and respond to Mullens calling me an idiot...but I will mention that Michigan has a higher LST employment score, a lower LST underemployment score, and is cheaper to attend then NU! They're basically comparable schools, and I don't think the data really supports saying that NU is a better school.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sat May 28, 2016 11:33 am

I had your exact numbers two cycles ago, feel free to PM me.

See also: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 9&t=212353

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat May 28, 2016 12:59 pm

International student? Where did you go to undergrad?

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Sat May 28, 2016 7:25 pm

gsy987 wrote:
Jeez, thanks! Anyways, if biglaw is the goal (which we didn't know until OP mentioned it), then NU w/ ED makes sense. If OP was interested in FC or PI, those other schools that I mentioned would've made more sense.

(I'm not going to take the bait and respond to Mullens calling me an idiot...but I will mention that Michigan has a higher LST employment score, a lower LST underemployment score, and is cheaper to attend then NU! They're basically comparable schools, and I don't think the data really supports saying that NU is a better school.)
On the other hand, the stats certainly DO NOT support the proposition that Michigan is worth more money than NU, which is how the discussion arose in the first place.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat May 28, 2016 8:43 pm

melmelcoolj wrote:
gsy987 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Do you have a plan to finance whatever portion you don't pay? Much easier to do that if most of your tuition is covered by scholarship.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Sat May 28, 2016 10:12 pm

2014 wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
gsy987 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Do you have a plan to finance whatever portion you don't pay? Much easier to do that if most of your tuition is covered by scholarship.
I will save up money this year, and cover the first year of law school (say around 25,000 dollars). And the second year and third year expenses I don't really know yet, but I guess I can save up the money as I go.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun May 29, 2016 4:38 am

Which country you went to undergrad in is really important to this hypo, plz answer.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Sun May 29, 2016 5:08 am

Clearly wrote:Which country you went to undergrad in is really important to this hypo, plz answer.
Why, In the US. It is a lower ranked Ivy league school (i.e. not HYP).

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun May 29, 2016 5:23 am

K. International gpas are factored differently so just checking

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SonicHell

New

Post by SonicHell » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:29 pm

Clearly wrote:K. International gpas are factored differently so just checking
In what way? Canadian btw

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:56 pm

SonicHell wrote:
Canadian gpas are the exception. They're treated the same as us gpas I believe

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:59 pm

Clearly wrote:
SonicHell wrote:

Just to clarify. I think OP went to school in the US, but is from Canada and is technically an international student. So it really isn't a Canadian GPA

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:00 pm

Nachoo2019 wrote:
Clearly wrote:
SonicHell wrote:

Just to clarify. I think OP went to school in the US, but is from Canada and is technically an international student. So it really isn't a Canadian GPA
Ya they already answered that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”