Anyone notice LSN shows it's gotten harder to get into top 14 schools this year? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jeez29

New

Anyone notice LSN shows it's gotten harder to get into top 14 schools this year?

Post by jeez29 » Mon May 23, 2016 4:46 pm

Hi guys,

My first post, greetings everyone.

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this. It seems to me that people applying last year (2014-2015 cycle) had an easier time cracking the top 14 with comparable numbers to those applying this year. Anyone notice a similar trend?

And excuse my ignorance on the subject, but what exactly is the timeline like applying to law schools? When do most people apply, and when is the right time (in your opinion) to apply to have the best chance of acceptance?

EnderWiggin

Silver

Re: Anyone notice LSN shows it's gotten harder to get into top 14 schools this year?

Post by EnderWiggin » Mon May 23, 2016 4:58 pm

LSAT scores within the top percentile bands were up this cycle compared to 14-15, but it's hard to say that things are substantially different from one year to the next.

Also, myLSN has not been synced to LSN for about 3 months now. That partial picture of the applicant pool is going to be even more obscured right now for anyone attempting to draw any comparative cycle conclusions.

mornincounselor

Silver

Re: Anyone notice LSN shows it's gotten harder to get into top 14 schools this year?

Post by mornincounselor » Mon May 23, 2016 4:58 pm

Yup, last year was an especially easy cycle. This year the amount of people scoring at or above 167 has increased by a significant amount.

One wants to apply as soon as possible. I've seen some evidence of those who apply just as schools begin accepting applications (I believe August or September for many schools) have slightly higher chances of getting in and slightly higher scholarship offers. However, for the most part applying before the results of the September/October and to a lesser extent December LSATs still are "early" in the grand scheme of things.

ETA: Ender, do we know why MyLSN isn't reflecting the newest crop of applicants?
EnderWiggin wrote: Also, myLSN has not been synced to LSN for about 3 months now. That partial picture of the applicant pool is going to be even more obscured right now for anyone attempting to draw any comparative cycle conclusions.

EnderWiggin

Silver

Post by EnderWiggin » Mon May 23, 2016 5:46 pm

mornincounselor wrote: ETA: Ender, do we know why MyLSN isn't reflecting the newest crop of applicants?
I think Rob just updates it periodically. The last sync was run on or around 20 Feb 2016. I'm sure an end of cycle update is coming.

ETA: Also, for a good portion of this past cycle, LSN had its auto-sets configured to read 2014-15. Many 15-16 applicants didn't catch this before creating their profiles (you can see this by comparing how the submit/complete/decision dates in individual profiles sometimes don't match the cycle year selected). So any misattribution of these applicants' cycle data is not really MyLSN's fault.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”