Very unique situation - chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
BlueClearSky

New

Very unique situation - chances?

Post by BlueClearSky » Sun May 08, 2016 3:47 pm

Edited for privacy concerns - thanks!
Last edited by BlueClearSky on Tue May 10, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Re: Very unique situation - chances?

Post by kellyfrost » Sun May 08, 2016 3:50 pm

It's hard to give any advice or even speculate without knowing two things:

1) Your LSAT score, and;

2) The reason you were suspended.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sun May 08, 2016 3:56 pm

kellyfrost wrote:It's hard to give any advice or even speculate without knowing two things:

1) Your LSAT score, and;

This. (along with whether you're an underrepresented minority). If the reason for your suspension is benign enough, your cycle is going to look pretty much like anyone else's who shares your GPA/LSAT. But if it's anything that triggers character & fitness concerns, then who knows?

BlueClearSky

New

Post by BlueClearSky » Sun May 08, 2016 3:59 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:It's hard to give any advice or even speculate without knowing two things:

1) Your LSAT score, and;

This. (along with whether you're an underrepresented minority). If the reason for your suspension is benign enough, your cycle is going to look pretty much like anyone else's who shares your GPA/LSAT. But if it's anything that triggers character & fitness concerns, then who knows?
1) Assume something like a 176 or 178 on the LSAT. Basically what I'd like to know is - even with a completely stellar LSAT score, would I still be disqualified?

2) Edited for privacy concerns.

3) Traditional, not a URM.
Last edited by BlueClearSky on Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sun May 08, 2016 4:06 pm

Even with a 180, you are 99.99% out at YHS at a minimum. Probably CC too. There are too many candidates with better gpas and no sticky situations. Sorry bud, but selling fake ids is a bad look.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sun May 08, 2016 4:23 pm

BlueClearSky wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:

1) Your LSAT score, and;

1) Assume something like a 176 or 178 on the LSAT. Basically what I'd like to know is - even with a completely stellar LSAT score, would I still be disqualified?

2) Ok, it was for selling fake IDs.

3) Traditional, not a URM.
You're not going to be "disqualified" outright, but it will weigh negatively on your application, to be sure.

Predictions/prognostications/guesses are worthless, though - just get the best possible LSAT score you can get, and apply everywhere. Don't just roll over without even applying - make them tell you "no".

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Sun May 08, 2016 4:39 pm

It's good that you weren't actually charged and that you have a "redemption" story, but it's important to realize that for bar admissions things like selling fake IDs are often worse than violent crimes (because it involves dishonestly, fraud etc.). I don't think it will actually stop you from being barred somewhere, but it's important to be cognizant of it. Are you K-JD? If so, a few years of work experience will both help you applications (and OCI interviewing) as well as put a little more time in between your character and fitness and the ID stuff.

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Sun May 08, 2016 4:45 pm

A suspension isn't a sine qua non for barrier to HYS. Obviously the gravity of the suspension will matter, but I can assure you there are students at each who have been suspended.

And, for fun, "very unique" is redundant :)

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun May 08, 2016 5:16 pm

I don't think the suspension for simply selling fake ids is going to have a huge impact on your admissions decision. There are far worse things to do. Assuming you are being honest here, and all you did was "sell" the fake ids and you have no other blemishes on your record anywhere, you likely will be fine. Can't guarantee HYS, but
certainly a top school depending on your numbers.

Also, that's quite a lofty goal on the LSAT you have. Good luck with that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun May 08, 2016 6:21 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

I think a lot of people who are either good writers or think they are good writers, tend to over edit the writing of other people and take too much out of the writing.

In this scenario, especially in a casual "headline" the phrase very unique is not redundant. That is, however, just my opinion.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sun May 08, 2016 6:25 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

I think a lot of people who are either good writers or think they are good writers, tend to over edit the writing of other people and take too much out of the writing.

In this scenario, especially in a casual "headline" the phrase very unique is not redundant. That is, however, just my opinion.
So what are the levels of "unique" in your opinion?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun May 08, 2016 6:26 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

No, it's redundant. Whether it matters in this context is a matter of opinion.

OP, I can't answer your question, but I don't know if anyone can (except maybe someone like Mike Spivey if you engage his services). Crimes involving dishonesty do raise more eyebrows in the legal profession than something like a DUI, but like others have said, you weren't charged or convicted of anything. The longer time you can put between the suspension and your application, probably the better.

mabes

New

Post by mabes » Sun May 08, 2016 6:27 pm

Last edited by mabes on Sun May 08, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun May 08, 2016 6:30 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

In my opinion? Unique, kinda unique / sorta unique, and very unique.

#idiot

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Sun May 08, 2016 6:35 pm

Thoughts:

1. It may effect you, it's a fraud related issue, but as long as you disclose the suspension and the reason and have a good explanation and answer for it then you should be fine for C&F, and if your other stats are good you'll probably be fine for school admission.

2. Unique is by definition singular, so no there are not levels to one of a kind. Pedantry in language is the lifeblood of the law.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sun May 08, 2016 6:41 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

#idiot
Daww it doesn't seem like you know what unique means. Sorry for making it a big deal, but you should look it up.

lnlia707

New

Post by lnlia707 » Sun May 08, 2016 6:42 pm

I feel like with a 176+ this can be overcome in some lower/mid T14s. I suspect there will be a healthy waitlist/rejection pile but certainly not blanket rejection

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun May 08, 2016 6:45 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

#idiot
Daww it doesn't seem like you know what unique means. Sorry for making it a big deal, but you should look it up.
The only word I am unfamiliar with is "Daww." What the Christ does that mean? You must be a real pile of moronic shit.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sun May 08, 2016 7:00 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

#idiot
The only word I am unfamiliar with is "Daww." What the Christ does that mean? You must be a real pile of moronic shit.
It sounds like you're all sorts of riled up, little buddy. Maybe take a nap and sip some juice? You can use words however makes you happy. It's alright.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun May 08, 2016 7:19 pm

Forget the cf issue. Your 3.5 is keeping you out of Yale and Stanford and almost certainly Harvard but slim shot with 175+. With a c and f I think all three are out. Even though it's minor they're not taking many 3.5s and there are many applying so you be perfect and this isn't terrible, but it sure ain't perfect.

It won't sink you for ccn down tho! Now go beat 99.5% of people on the lsat before you worry, obviously very few do.

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Sun May 08, 2016 7:59 pm

Also consider that this will be a C&F issue when it comes time to register for the bar. I doubt this alone would sink you (one instance of youthful indiscretion), but if you have other red flags in your background, that would be something to consider.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BlueClearSky

New

Post by BlueClearSky » Sun May 08, 2016 10:03 pm

Clearly wrote:Forget the cf issue. Your 3.5 is keeping you out of Yale and Stanford and almost certainly Harvard but slim shot with 175+. With a c and f I think all three are out. Even though it's minor they're not taking many 3.5s and there are many applying so you be perfect and this isn't terrible, but it sure ain't perfect.

It won't sink you for ccn down tho! Now go beat 99.5% of people on the lsat before you worry, obviously very few do.
Thanks. Just to be clear - you're saying the C&F won't affect my chances at CCN? Or that I still have a shot at CCN?

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Sun May 08, 2016 10:20 pm

BlueClearSky wrote:
Clearly wrote:Forget the cf issue. Your 3.5 is keeping you out of Yale and Stanford and almost certainly Harvard but slim shot with 175+. With a c and f I think all three are out. Even though it's minor they're not taking many 3.5s and there are many applying so you be perfect and this isn't terrible, but it sure ain't perfect.

Thanks. Just to be clear - you're saying the C&F won't affect my chances at CCN? Or that I still have a shot at CCN?
The suspension isn't necessarily (depending on what it is) a pulled up drawbridge for any school, not a single one.

As Clearly outlines, the GPA is likely the bigger issue for you.

In respect to degrees of "unique" there are none. Something is either unique or it isn't.

Broncos15

Bronze

Post by Broncos15 » Mon May 09, 2016 2:04 am

No- for Harvard a 3.5 doesn't disqualify you.

Just crush the LSAT.

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Mon May 09, 2016 5:08 am

kellyfrost wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

If you're going to critique this guy, go for the low-hanging fruit misusing sine qua non....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”