3.6 STEM GPA and 175 LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
wedidit

New

3.6 STEM GPA and 175 LSAT

Post by wedidit » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:20 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering what everyone thinks my chances are at the T-14 with a 3.6 STEM (engineering) GPA and a 175 LSAT. Also have a Masters in Engineering, will have worked 3 years upon matriculation, had a couple substantive jobs while in college, and leadership positions in student government. Particularly interested in chances at Berkeley since they are GPA sensitive. Is there generally a boost for masters degrees and/or stem degrees?

Thanks!

somethingElse

Gold

Re: 3.6 STEM GPA and 175 LSAT

Post by somethingElse » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:40 pm

Check this out:

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:54 pm

If you can do IP stuff, schools can tell that you're more employable and I imagine that it does give a bit of a boost. IDK about Berkeley specifically. Is your undergrad big enough that they might have info on how grads have done in LS apps?

wedidit

New

Post by wedidit » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:02 pm

Thanks something else555, that really helps, I wasn't looking at the range option and there were just fewer data points.

My application would be IP oriented and from what I know Berkeley has a great IP program. Idk if my undergrad has anything, I suppose I can reach out to them though. Do you know what department would have stats like those?

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:08 pm

Try to find out who your pre-law advisor is--sometimes they're useless, but sometimes they keep stats like GPA and application results. I wouldn't put too much work into it, honestly, because it's not going to change your outcome -- you should apply broadly anyway and cull after you hear from schools and have concrete, personalized information to work with.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:30 pm

i had similar numbers w/ STEM masters. it's anecdotal, but i'll pm you with my lsn profile. definitely blanket the T14, and be sure to apply to cornell, even if you don't get a fee waiver. they were far away my largest offer and i used them to negotiate. i didn't apply to berkeley, so i can't weigh in there, bc they don't do merit fee waivers and i had similar gpa concerns.

generally, your 175 will be more valuable to the T6's 75ths so you'll be in play at Columbia and possibly Harvard. unfortunately, your 175 is not much better than a 172 at lower T14s, so while you're still very attractive, $$ will be unpredictable (looking at you, UVA/Anne Richard... :( )

mogwli

New

Post by mogwli » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:38 pm

wedidit wrote:Hi all,

Just wondering what everyone thinks my chances are at the T-14 with a 3.6 STEM (engineering) GPA and a 175 LSAT. Also have a Masters in Engineering, will have worked 3 years upon matriculation, had a couple substantive jobs while in college, and leadership positions in student government. Particularly interested in chances at Berkeley since they are GPA sensitive. Is there generally a boost for masters degrees and/or stem degrees?

Thanks!

175 LSAT? Yeah dude you are in at most of the T14, with several significant scholarships. You should easily get into Berkeley. You are above their 25th GPA, and well, well above their 75th LSAT. You'll get in, and if you apply early in the cycle, I wouldn't be surprised if you get a crap load of money.

With a 175 you should apply to every single T14 school. Get aid packages from schools and use them as negotiation tools to get more money as well.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat May 07, 2016 2:31 am

I didn't find stem had really any impact on my cycle. but with a masters, it probably will.

I'd expect Harvard/Columbia/Chicago on down, although it seems like you can never tell with Penn and UVA.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Sat May 07, 2016 7:28 am

Just to jump on everyone talking about where you can 'expect' to get in - if you might be able to get into H, it seems like you're likely to get WLed at some lower t14s, so write 'Why X?' essays for your top couple choices.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TFALAWL

Bronze

Post by TFALAWL » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:05 am

One thing worth mentioning: TCR is that the average person should assume median. However, STEM probably has a presumption of above median (especially if you were doing proofs and shit) + even if you're median you'll have IP in back pocket.

Thus, a full-ride (or best deal) at w/e T-14 might be the way to go rather than T-6 > T-14

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:31 am

jbagelboy wrote:I didn't find stem had really any impact on my cycle. but with a masters, it probably will.

I'd expect Harvard/Columbia/Chicago on down, although it seems like you can never tell with Penn and UVA.
I got Penn and UVA with considerably worse numbers, I think he'll be good to go (money, of course, is a separate issue). I think STEM is a huge boost when schools are so job-numbers-driven and many kids enter law school just because they have no directly relevant field to outlet their degree.

joeyc328

Bronze

Post by joeyc328 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:30 pm

I also recommend taking the Patent Bar yesterday. Your GPA might hurt you with scholarship money, but many firms would hire you as a patent agent and help pay your tuition.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”