178 LSAT / 3.5 GPA Fulbright Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
uthrowaway

New

178 LSAT / 3.5 GPA Fulbright

Post by uthrowaway » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:54 pm

Hey everyone,

Wondering what my chances are with a 3.5 Engineering GPA at UVa and a 178 LSAT. I minored in politics and business, and am going to be on a fulbright recipient trip while applying to law schools this upcoming cycle.

Specifically, chances at HYS and Columbia, and money offers across the T14 as well.....really unsure of how my splitter gpa works for me in the upper tiers. Also, indian male, idk if that counts as an URM, one can hope I guess

Softs:
Jefferson Scholar
Rodman Scholar
Small Nonprofit I run/founded to help the elderly
Fulbright Scholar
Jefferson Literary and Debating Society
Burke Debating Society

usernotfound

Bronze

Re: 178 LSAT / 3.5 GPA Fulbright

Post by usernotfound » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:14 pm

Your chances are probably very good to get at least 1, likely 2+ of HYS, and good money from rest of T14.

uthrowaway

New

Post by uthrowaway » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:16 pm

Really!!? Thats, honestly, way better than I was hoping. Could you elaborate why? Is it my softs or is my gpa just not as bad as I think?

Also, would love to hear others opinions!

rdreiley1

New

Post by rdreiley1 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:18 pm

uthrowaway wrote:Really!!? Thats, honestly, way better than I was hoping. Could you elaborate why? Is it my softs or is my gpa just not as bad as I think?

Also, would love to hear others opinions!

I would have to agree; that LSAT is enough to make a head turn at a T14 and it isn't a TERRIBLE GPA even if it is a split. That, with URM and some relatively marketable softs from an academic perspective, I would perceive makes you an attractive prospect at least within the T14/T6 with some $ as well.

uthrowaway

New

Post by uthrowaway » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:22 pm

So being Indian counts as a URM then? Its certainly the opposite in undergrad so I was worried.

Where should I ED to then in HYS? Forget personal preference, just raw numbers/best chance

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:24 pm

uthrowaway wrote:So being Indian counts as a URM then? Its certainly the opposite in undergrad so I was worried.

Where should I ED to then in HYS? Forget personal preference, just raw numbers/best chance
If it's subcontinent Indian it's probably not going to make a difference.

I don't think HYS do ED?

uthrowaway

New

Post by uthrowaway » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:28 pm

Ooooh awkward, should have done my research.

So then would you think that I should hold of my ED to columbia in order to hope for an HYS admit? Personally, I'm in love with NYC and was assuming I'd have no chance at HYS and an okayish chance and columbia and a good one at NYU, but now everything's changed......

uthrowaway

New

Post by uthrowaway » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:41 pm

Also, yeah, my parents are from New Delhi. Not particularly special or isolated. Figure it wont count for much.

I would also love to know if I'll be looking realistically at any money from columbia?

dnptan

Bronze

Post by dnptan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:46 pm

I'd blanket. Super splitters are hard to predict. Don't get your hopes too high in HYS the number if high scoring applicants (and LSAT takers in general) is going up so that 3.5 will hurt you more than it would have the past few cycles.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

usernotfound

Bronze

Post by usernotfound » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:48 pm

uthrowaway wrote:Also, yeah, my parents are from New Delhi. Not particularly special or isolated. Figure it wont count for much.

I would also love to know if I'll be looking realistically at any money from columbia?
Use MyLSN. http://mylsn.info/j8iac8/ There honestly isn't much data for your stats, even widening the gap gives you single-digit data. That being said, regardless of your URM status, what I said stands. Probably 1+ of HYS if PS and rest of app are well done, and high to full scholarships at 4-14. Some cycles are weird, but on average, you will likely have multiple good options. HYS is more black-boxey when it comes to admissions, so they're harder to predict, but you'd have a good shot at substantial scholarships from CCN.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:13 pm

Don't ED anywhere that isn't full ride. And in my experience, it seems that even though your major doesn't change the hit to their quartiles, adcomms will look at your 3.5 more favorably given you're engineering and not history or poli sci

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:34 pm

uthrowaway wrote:Also, yeah, my parents are from New Delhi. Not particularly special or isolated. Figure it wont count for much.

I would think so. Not sure if you mean this literally or more like "enough money realistic to make me attend." They gotta maintain that 75th, though... You'll definitely see something.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:23 am

SplitMyPants wrote:Don't ED anywhere that isn't full ride. And in my experience, it seems that even though your major doesn't change the hit to their quartiles, adcomms will look at your 3.5 more favorably given you're engineering and not history or poli sci
Yeah, ED is usually a path to no money. Don't ED anywhere. It's worth it for NU applicants who don't otherwise have a good shot at $$$T14s or HYS, but that's not you.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:44 am

Don't ED CLS. You could get a Butler or a full ride at a lower T14. Apply to all YHSCC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”