3.23/174 - Non-traditional with a unique situation Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
TheToolMan

New

3.23/174 - Non-traditional with a unique situation

Post by TheToolMan » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:50 pm

I realized I should have posted here in the first place.

First post here, long time lurker.

I'm a graduate of a Big 10 school. Stats: 3.23/174. 27 years old. White male. My GPA at the University is 3.6x, however when I was first starting out I didn't take things too seriously and got some very poor grades at a community college. My GPA the last two years is 3.8+. I worked full-time throughout college to support myself and took classes mostly part-time. I'm the first in my family to graduate college.

I like the prospect of living in Indiana and have considered IU Bloomingon an option. However I would like to shoot higher and apply to NW or some others in the T-14. Do I have any sort of shot?

Lexaholik

Bronze

Re: 3.23/174 - Non-traditional with a unique situation

Post by Lexaholik » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:06 pm

TheToolMan wrote:I realized I should have posted here in the first place.

First post here, long time lurker.

I'm a graduate of a Big 10 school. Stats: 3.23/174. 27 years old. White male. My GPA at the University is 3.6x, however when I was first starting out I didn't take things too seriously and got some very poor grades at a community college. My GPA the last two years is 3.8+. I worked full-time throughout college to support myself and took classes mostly part-time. I'm the first in my family to graduate college.

I like the prospect of living in Indiana and have considered IU Bloomingon an option. However I would like to shoot higher and apply to NW or some others in the T-14. Do I have any sort of shot?
You'll probably get into IU and will probably get into Northwestern too. I got into NU years ago off the waitlist with a 2.9/170. Just make sure you apply broadly--even though TLS posters will all say you're a lock for NU/GULC and have a good shot at a few other T14s. Success with your numbers is not guaranteed. Make sure you also put together a strong application by writing all optional essays and putting together a decent personal statement. With your 3.8+ in the last few years, you should be able to snag some strong recommendations as well.

And when you do apply, be prepared to sit on the waitlist for a while. If you read through the Splitters in Limbo thread, you'll know what to expect when you're waiting to hear back from schools.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:12 pm

Apply to every T-14 school; you are going to be a strange applicant and it's hard to say how things will turn out. Give yourself as many options as you can.

TheToolMan

New

Post by TheToolMan » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:33 pm

Lexaholik wrote:
You'll probably get into IU and will probably get into Northwestern too. I got into NU years ago off the waitlist with a 2.9/170. Just make sure you apply broadly--even though TLS posters will all say you're a lock for NU/GULC and have a good shot at a few other T14s. Success with your numbers is not guaranteed. Make sure you also put together a strong application by writing all optional essays and putting together a decent personal statement. With your 3.8+ in the last few years, you should be able to snag some strong recommendations as well.

And when you do apply, be prepared to sit on the waitlist for a while. If you read through the Splitters in Limbo thread, you'll know what to expect when you're waiting to hear back from schools.
Thank you for the reply. I will check out those threads. I do intend to put together a thorough and well thought out application. I know of one strong LOR I can get from a professor and the business I work for is owned by a prominent local attorney who will write me one.
landshoes wrote:Apply to every T-14 school; you are going to be a strange applicant and it's hard to say how things will turn out. Give yourself as many options as you can.
I've considered this. It seems like a long shot for the most part, but what can it hurt?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”