178 / 3.65 - Chances Across T14? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jb111

New

178 / 3.65 - Chances Across T14?

Post by jb111 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:28 pm

LSAT: 178 (one take)
GPA: 3.65
Softs: Bad? Below average at best. Research assistant for one professor. Only WE is small town jobs. Maybe upwards GPA trend is a soft (first two years = 3.2, second two years = 4.0 - assuming I don't burn out this semester).

Options: I am a senior but am not applying this year. So I have a year to volunteer/get some work experience. Or honestly, I could even defer graduation and get another 4.0 year to raise my GPA to 3.75. Anything that might help my chances here or am I better off just making a little money and trying to enjoy myself? I do not have a lot of money, so any money I can save up would matter.

I feel like a super splitter. Apologize if I'm not, but I'm above every 75th LSAT and either below or just at the 25th GPA for the schools I am interested in.

Only really interested in T14. Where am I out? Where am I in? Where am I a big question mark? Any decent money?

Thanks.

//quick edit: I checked myLSN and have a decent sense of what the numbers look like, but the number of applicants is fairly small and there seems to be some significant variance across apps/schools/years.

GMasters5

Bronze

Re: 178 / 3.65 - Chances Across T14?

Post by GMasters5 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:34 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you could get in anywhere you want with that LSAT score. You'll probably get good money at most of the T14. I also think raising your GPA to 3.75 would be pretty negligible. I mean, it might help a bit, but schools will see that LSAT score and admit you pretty quickly. About the money situation, it would probably be better to spend your next year working instead of raising your already solid GPA. You'd get money, work experience, and a break from school for a bit. All in all though, that's really a personal choice you'll have to make yourself. Enjoy one or all of HYS!

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:48 pm

First, forget about your softs. They aren't going to matter. Even with your 178, your GPA is going to basically exclude Yale and Stanford. Harvard is a good bet for you, though.

You have great odds everywhere else, but you will have to be careful of avoiding the yield protection hammer at schools like Penn, UVA, and Michigan. So do whatever you can to emphasize your knowledge about and enthusiasm around those schools. Berkeley's a black box, so you could sail in, or you could be straight rejected. Who knows?

Either way, you're going to be in great shape.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:11 pm

My stats are really close to yours (slightly lower LSAT, slightly higher GPA). You can check my LSN (same username) to see how my cycle is going.

One thing I recommend is writing a Why Columbia letter if you want to go there. I am currently being held there. Otherwise I've gotten into everywhere so far except HYS.

GreatBraffsby

Bronze

Post by GreatBraffsby » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:50 pm

I don't think deferring is the correct call. Your GPA is solid enough considering your test score. I think you could get a ton of money everywhere aside from HYS. 178s are in rare supply.

If you're a URM, then you should be extremely confident in a good outcome.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:56 pm

GreatBraffsby wrote:I don't think deferring is the correct call. Your GPA is solid enough considering your test score. I think you could get a ton of money everywhere aside from HYS. 178s are in rare supply.

If you're a URM, then you should be extremely confident in a good outcome.
Yes, you definitely don't have to defer to raise your GPA. A 3.75 doesn't even get you above Yale and Stanford's 25ths, so your chances would improve only by the smallest amount by getting it up. I'm talking about going from like 0% to 5%.

If you were URM, which I feel safe in assuming you're not, you literally would be setting the admissions world on fire. You'd get all 3 of HYS, a Ruby, a Dillard, and a Moredecai at least. But, Penn would still waitlist you...lol. Lol @ Penn.

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:23 pm

fliptrip wrote:But, Penn would still waitlist you...lol. Lol @ Penn.
I LOLed

jb111

New

Post by jb111 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:28 pm

Not URM.

Thanks for the input everybody. Sounds like out at Y/S, a puncher's chance at H, and generally good outcomes elsewhere. Money will probably end up making the decision for me, altho H would be incredibly hard to turn down if somehow that worked out.

Seems to be some consensus on not spending another year in undergrad and on making sure I indicate my interest to schools that I apply to. Appreciate the advice.

---
Dcc617 wrote:My stats are really close to yours (slightly lower LSAT, slightly higher GPA). You can check my LSN (same username) to see how my cycle is going.

One thing I recommend is writing a Why Columbia letter if you want to go there. I am currently being held there. Otherwise I've gotten into everywhere so far except HYS..
Thanks, I will be sure to keep an eye on how things turn out. Looks like you are having a great cycle so far, good luck with scholarships and HYS going forward.
fliptrip wrote:First, forget about your softs. They aren't going to matter. Even with your 178, your GPA is going to basically exclude Yale and Stanford. Harvard is a good bet for you, though.

You have great odds everywhere else, but you will have to be careful of avoiding the yield protection hammer at schools like Penn, UVA, and Michigan. So do whatever you can to emphasize your knowledge about and enthusiasm around those schools. Berkeley's a black box, so you could sail in, or you could be straight rejected. Who knows?

Either way, you're going to be in great shape.
I see you post here a fair bit and you seem to know what you are talking about. Thanks.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:29 pm

LOL...yes, in flip we trust.

Seriously, you're going to have a great cycle.

You have better than the puncher's chance at H. Nothing is guaranteed, but it would not qualify as anything close to a surprise if you (and Dcc617 for that matter) snag it. Being above H's LSAT 75th is nothing to sniff at.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”