3.5 GPA / 140 LSAT / Born in Africa / Black male with outstanding resume Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
DaliLama77

New

3.5 GPA / 140 LSAT / Born in Africa / Black male with outstanding resume

Post by DaliLama77 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:30 am

I took February LSAT and already sent in apps to 12 top 50 schools. What should I do?

fliptrip

Gold

Re: 3.5 GPA / 140 LSAT / Born in Africa / Black male with outstanding resume

Post by fliptrip » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:34 am

You absolutely have to retake the LSAT. No one, URM or non-URM should be applying to law school with a 140.

oil

New

Post by oil » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:47 am

fliptrip wrote:You absolutely have to retake the LSAT. No one, URM or non-URM should be applying to law school with a 140.
Seconding this. Also, what's the resume?

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:29 pm

Yeah, just to reiterate what has already been said here. Decide what you want to do. At the very least decide on what type and size of law you want to do (i.e. private BigLaw Chi/NYC VS. State clerkships VS. SCOTUS clerkship VS. hanging out a shingle) it does not matter what. Just make a priority list of what you want do. If your main goal is Big Law or Scotus then you really gotta retake until you have a more than 50% of even getting into T14. If something like the state-level or mid-size private practice realm is for you, then you gotta decide on geography. THEN, you still gotta retake until you are within reaching distance of T-14 so you can get into a T1/T2 regional flagship with $$$$ where you can get access to small and mid law in whatever state you choose to live in for the future (this is why choosing where you want to be matters).

To summarize, based on what you want to do you need to either retake until you can find your way into T14 somehow, or at least until you are getting significant scholly at a regional school (we are talking in-state tuition waiver and half off tuition or more OR 75% off tuition minimum). Thats just the fact of the matter. If you really do not know what you want to do and are open to anything (not advised as a strategy), then just retake until you get as high a score as possible. 167+ = apply to T14 and hope for the best. 159-166 - apply to regional flagship and look for scholly $$$.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:41 pm

Pretty sure a few of these last threads have been trolls

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

izha

New

Post by izha » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:26 am

DaliLama77 wrote:I took February LSAT and already sent in apps to 12 top 50 schools. What should I do?
Do you have Prince of Zamunda on your resume? That might help.

magnum_law

Bronze

Post by magnum_law » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:13 am

The originality of this flame is remarkable :roll:

Great one OP, you've revolutionized this game.

Loquitur Res

New

Post by Loquitur Res » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:02 am

izha wrote:
DaliLama77 wrote:I took February LSAT and already sent in apps to 12 top 50 schools. What should I do?
Do you have Prince of Zamunda on your resume? That might help.
I nearly spit out my coffee. One of my all time favorite movies.

If OP is serious about law school, please look at the study guides. Take several months to focus on studying, and retake. Do lots of timed practice tests, etc. Your GPA and resume don't mean anything in terms of admissions if you apply with a 140.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:19 am

You cannot apply to law schools with a 140 LSAT, so you will have to sit for the test again before applying.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yozz

New

Post by yozz » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:36 pm

One does not simply apply to law school with a 140 score.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:30 pm

yozz wrote:One does not simply apply to law school with a 140 score.

180 tar/FP.

Iam3hunna

Bronze

Post by Iam3hunna » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:24 pm

Barry University or Nova Southeastern. You can also throw an app to a reach school. I'd recommend Cooley fwiw.

The Mixed Tape

Platinum

Post by The Mixed Tape » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:32 pm

Iam3hunna wrote:Barry University or Nova Southeastern. You can also throw an app to a reach school. I'd recommend Cooley fwiw.
Does this post make you feel good about yourself?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Iam3hunna

Bronze

Post by Iam3hunna » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:39 pm

The Mixed Tape wrote:
Iam3hunna wrote:Barry University or Nova Southeastern. You can also throw an app to a reach school. I'd recommend Cooley fwiw.
Absolutely.

The Mixed Tape

Platinum

Post by The Mixed Tape » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:40 pm

Iam3hunna wrote:
The Mixed Tape wrote:
Absolutely.
Just checking your self awareness

Carry on

gator_guy93

Bronze

Post by gator_guy93 » Wed May 04, 2016 10:12 am

yozz wrote:One does not simply apply to law school with a 140 score.
+1

gator_guy93

Bronze

Post by gator_guy93 » Wed May 04, 2016 10:13 am

magnum_law wrote:The originality of this flame is remarkable :roll:

Great one OP, you've revolutionized this game.
I really hope this is a flame lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

asdfdfdfadfas

Silver

Post by asdfdfdfadfas » Wed May 04, 2016 10:57 am

Last edited by asdfdfdfadfas on Wed May 04, 2016 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Wed May 04, 2016 11:04 am

He's not necessarily a flame. The average LSAT score for black males is in the low 140s. It's no crazier than someone posting they're going with a score in the low 150's, but the advice is the same. Generally, change happens slower minority communities than it does in majority communities. This is generally true across the board, and not about any specific race, religion or culture. It's probable that the black community has an informational disadvantage when it comes to the legal economy, and that these individuals are disproportionately vulnerable to attending schools where very few graduates will ever practice law. I'm confident that Paul Campos would support this point. An applicant like this requires your guidance, not your ridicule.

Jordan Catalano

New

Post by Jordan Catalano » Wed May 04, 2016 11:11 am

While law schools seek out diverse candidates for admission, I have never heard of diversity being a boon for perceived performance in a court room or other aspects of being a lawyer. The legal profession remains overwhelmingly white and male.

http://www.americanbar.org/publications ... _bias.html
http://www.saltlaw.org/wp-content/uploa ... CERD-2.pdf

asdfdfdfadfas

Silver

Post by asdfdfdfadfas » Wed May 04, 2016 11:30 am

HonestAdvice wrote:He's not necessarily a flame. The average LSAT score for black males is in the low 140s. It's no crazier than someone posting they're going with a score in the low 150's, but the advice is the same. Generally, change happens slower minority communities than it does in majority communities. This is generally true across the board, and not about any specific race, religion or culture. It's probable that the black community has an informational disadvantage when it comes to the legal economy, and that these individuals are disproportionately vulnerable to attending schools where very few graduates will ever practice law. I'm confident that Paul Campos would support this point. An applicant like this requires your guidance, not your ridicule.
You are right; however, to some extent you have to help yourself. To some degree, people are happier to help those who help themselves. There are countless resources on here to look at that people have compiled for free that OP could use to answer his/her question. Plus, the OP never responded to any of the questions asked with a genuine response so it's very possible that person is a troll.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

asdfdfdfadfas

Silver

Post by asdfdfdfadfas » Wed May 04, 2016 11:47 am

Jordan Catalano wrote:While law schools seek out diverse candidates for admission, I have never heard of diversity being a boon for perceived performance in a court room or other aspects of being a lawyer. The legal profession remains overwhelmingly white and male.

http://www.americanbar.org/publications ... _bias.html
http://www.saltlaw.org/wp-content/uploa ... CERD-2.pdf
Yeah law schools are overwhelmingly white males because statistically more white males meet the admission's requirements.

I scored in the upper 160s. I am not going to go to HYS and beg them to let me in because I had to work 50+ hours a week in an extremely intense environment while taking the test. It doesn't matter that Thaddeus the third over in Connecticut sat in his mother's basement and scored a 170+, he still beat me and therefore he has a better chance at admissions. It is what it is, you either meet the standards or you don't. To expect a pass or lower standards because of your skin color is the definition of racism.

The African American or other minority communities shouldn't want special treatment either because what that implies IS inferiority.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed May 04, 2016 12:33 pm

Just a reminder that discussion of the merits of affirmative action isn't allowed outside of the thread dedicated to that topic in the lounge. So people should probably back away from discussion of AA as special treatment and what it implies.

asdfdfdfadfas

Silver

Post by asdfdfdfadfas » Wed May 04, 2016 12:45 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Just a reminder that discussion of the merits of affirmative action isn't allowed outside of the thread dedicated to that topic in the lounge. So people should probably back away from discussion of AA as special treatment and what it implies.
Fair enough.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”